• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buell to be Discontinued

:scratch

Buell is a wholly owned subsidiary of HD. It was run as an independent brand. However, from a business standpoint its earnings were reported in the H-D reports and no independent Buell stock exists. This is much the same situation that Husqvarna is in with BMW.

On page 25 of Oct issue talks about the founder, Erik Buell, crushing it into a 3-foot cube to make the point that Buell is rededicating itself to performance and innovation.

Buell isn't being discontinued... the Buell Blast is dead and crushed. I never did like that bike. If I had that bike, I would give up riding... that's how the bike made me feel.

Right after I obtained my motorcycle license from MSF course, my local Harley dealership loaned me a Blast to ride over a holiday weekend. The dealership was hoping after the weekend I would come back and purchase the bike which I didn't because I hated it! I was a beginner rider on the street but I grew up riding dirt bikes. The Blast is a beginner bike which is what it was meant for... the bike was not for me to begin riding on.

In 2008 Buell represented 2.2% of the income for H-D just ahead of other.
World wide revenue by product (Dollars in millions)
76.5 % HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES $4,278.2
15.3 % PARTS & ACCESSORIES 858.
7 5.6 % GENERAL MERCHANDISE 313.8
2.2 % BUELL MOTORCYCLES 123.1 0.4 %
OTHER 20.5 TOTAL NET REVENUE $5,594.3

Buell shipped 13,119 units in 2008 which was up from the 11,513 shipped in 2007 and ahead of what I believe was the previous annual high of 12,460 in 2006. The Buell sales are predominately US with H-D taking the main line as an export. In 2008 the company shipped 303,479 H-Ds down from 330,619 in 2007.

For a bit of perspective BMW claims to have shipped 11,617 units to the US which was down 3.9% from the previous years. With a smaller and more narrowly focused product line Buell outsold BMW in the US for each of the years ’06-8.

Just FWIW, I think the Buell volume #'s above are worldwide totals. I've always seen reports over the years, from different sources, noting Buell volume in NA at around 5,000 units. Fetched the latest industry figures from Motorcycle Consumer News.

BMW
2007: 11,772
2008: 10,338

BUELL
2007: 4796
2008: 4830

Buell sells more bikes overseas than domestically, a reason why they introduce them first in Europe. BMW volume is about twice that of Buell in NA.

I think a great combo would be a V-Rod powered Buell -- didn't somebody say the V-Rod line might be the next to get the axe?

Erik Buell was asked about the V-Rod Revolution engine powering a Buell. He mentioned the engine's weight was a problem (it is a heavy engine) and he didn't care much for all the unsightly and exposed liquid cooled plumbing.

The V-Rod won't get the ax. Overseas it is one of H-D's biggest sellers, and in many countries it is #1. International is H-D's source for growth. And the V-Rod volume in NA isn't too shabby. A report several years ago noted NA V-Rod volume at around 16,000 units. That's more than all BMW's combined.

I think a great combo would be a V-Rod powered Buell -- didn't somebody say the V-Rod line might be the next to get the axe?

Or something like this? http://www.roehrmotorcycles.com/index.html

Recall the failed Harley Superbike racing effort used an engine based on the V-rod layout. My layman intuitive expectation was for Buell to adopt that into a performance sport bike for the street. But that must be more difficult that it would seem, I'd like to think ... or they'd would have done it. Or maybe they wanted something that could realistically win races (without favorable DMG treatment pitting a Litre + twin against I-4 600cc's). I also recall reading that the V-rod plant was too heavy and large for Buell's design criteria.

Would be interesting to see how Roehr (above link) does though granted that would be more of a niche high price point effort than the Buell's aimed for.

:blush

Thanks for the catch sfarson. The perspective may still have value but I did make a leap in the closing paragraph that I should have caught myself while bouncing between H-DÔÇÖs 10k report and BWMs annual report. The US market share for Buell has been holding just under 1% while the BWM share has been +/-2% for some time; currently climbing as its sales declines in sales seem to be less than others.

While the Buell brand has taken advantage of the Cologne and Milan shows to introduce models it has been my understanding they have made all models available world wide in the same year. The H-D move that struck me as curious was introducing the XR1200 in Europe and making it a Euro only offering for the beginning of its run.

The hub-bub around reaction to the V-Rod engine has always sounded like, in many ways, like the Airhead reaction to the introduction of the Brick. Like it or not it will be part of the lineup for years to come. As pointed out it is a big seller internationally and was key to H-DÔÇÖs effort to overcome the obstacles to begin exporting to India.

The hub-bub around reaction to the V-Rod engine has always sounded like, in many ways, like the Airhead reaction to the introduction of the Brick...

That's a good analogy, and to be sure, a thoughtful analysis in this thread. :nod

Erik Buell was asked about the V-Rod Revolution engine powering a Buell. He mentioned the engine's weight was a problem (it is a heavy engine) and he didn't care much for all the unsightly and exposed liquid cooled plumbing.

The V-Rod won't get the ax. Overseas it is one of H-D's biggest sellers, and in many countries it is #1. International is H-D's source for growth. And the V-Rod volume in NA isn't too shabby. A report several years ago noted NA V-Rod volume at around 16,000 units. That's more than all BMW's combined.

Didn't know that! I watched the Discovery/History(?) channel program on the V-Rod development and always thought that the V-Rod concept was a good one -- I just wasn't keen on the dragster styling and forward controls. My brother-in-law has one and it runs great, but is only comfortable around town.

I wish they'd have taken that motor and developed a sport-tourer. I've seen a V-Rod with a Road Glide fairing -- but the forward controls don't work for me as a touring machine.

I wasn't aware that HD was selling so many overseas -- I hope it's enough to keep the idea alive.

: The H-D move that struck me as curious was introducing the XR1200 in Europe and making it a Euro only offering for the beginning of its run.

Many manufacturers have models that are only for specific regions.

I'd ASSume H-D felt that the XR wouldn't really sell that well in the US,
and took it elsewhere first.
Maybe it's also a way of judging how much demand there really
is in the country that didn't get it.
In this case, they brought the XR1200 to the US a year later.
To my understanding, out side of a couple areas, it hasn't sold that well in the US.

After they had been out a few months, I called my dealer last spring about a new XR1200.
"How many did you get", I ask?
"Just one" he tells me--"and we didn't order it. H-D had their way of making us take it."

"How many people you have in line for it" I say.
"Just you" he tells me.

In the spring rush season, I got a smokin' discounted deal on a bike that many claimed
they wanted, but no one actually stepped up and bought.

I think H-D knew what they were doing by not putting this bike's initial emphasis on the US market.

They now have a 2nd model called the XR1200X.
Guess where it's available (and where it's not).........?

Eddie

I think H-D knew what they were doing by not putting this bike's initial emphasis on the US market.

They now have a 2nd model called the XR1200X.
Guess where it's available (and where it's not).........?

Eddie

Great points.

It's another great idea that doesn't have much of a domestic market -- or it's not being properly marketed. If I were a HD marketing guy I'd take a couple of those bikes --- hire some really good riders --- and send them out to the Dragon, the Snake or anyplace else popular with riders to demonstrate them to the Motard and Sportbike crowds. Just parking them in the showroom isn't going to get the word out -- the customers HD is searching for aren't sitting around a HD dealer -- they're out riding.

I like those bikes -- the HD dealer I frequent has a couple --- at first glance, I knew they'd be fun on the Dragon.

snipped-
Many manufacturers have models that are only for specific regions.

Eddie

I am well aware of that. You need not go beyond the Roundel to find Euro only models and even within that models that, in an ongoing basis are only sold in Ireland or Spain for example. Other companies have exported bikes and cars to Canada that never legally made it south of that boarder except on tour.

The XR decision struck me as curious at the time because the bike harkens back to an American icon. When it was announced I had space in a multi-bike garage that house two street tracker projects whose owners were likewise surprised. On reflection our interest in street trackers was more as a project bike to build rather than one to go to a dealer and buy. For HD to sell in Europe it had Harley chic, iconic value and in many ways worked for the mega-moto style rider.

This brings me back to Buell closing up shop. There is much I like about the Buell XB series. I have ridden a couple and find them an engaging bike. It makes the short list of bikes that I regularly check when I am dinging around at a bikes show, on ebay, craigs list or pick up a copy of some cycle trader. I could easily see buying a used one. At the same time I have never considered it on the list of bikes I would go to a dealer and buy new. I would happily buy parts from them just not the new bike.

roadracingworld.com: A commentary on the end of Buell Motorcycle Company

pogo.jpg

Last edited:
Mancuso HD, the sole Buell dealer in Houston, sold out of every Buell they had in just a few days with some hefty discounts. They're even considering bringing in some bikes from an out-of-state dealer they moved so fast. I spoke with a salesman and they're providing full warranty service with any bikes sold and they expect HD to manufacture parts for 7 years. Parts and service should continue uninterrupted despite the production shut down. Another salesman in Austin claims there are still bikes at the factory that haven't shipped yet -- but at the current sales rates, they should be gone soon.

I love my buell and was looking forward to the new models that were rumored to be out in 2011.When it comes time to replace my uly as my front line bike,well there just isn't anything out there that does it for me.I like my bmw but they don't make them anymore either.
The bad part is the folks that have lost their jobs.Buell workers(elves) were a small group of dedicated enthusiasts,who did take on the giants of the motorcycle world and were squashed by their own parent like some sick child abuser.ok maybe that's a little carried away.
Buell Forever Harley Never.

The Buell Blast! 500cc single was used by H-D Rider's Edge BRC courses all over the nation. IMHO it was a terrible bike on which beginners could learn riding motorcycles. For a beginner it was too heavy. The grabby front brake caused crashes. The clutch was on or off -- no friction zone -- which was hard for beginners to learn to use. It was too powerful and the gearing was too high for learning to ride on an MSF range. Finally, its vibration was fearsome. As an MSF trainer, the Blast was a disaster.

I wonder what Harley will use now for its Rider's Edge courses. If it is smart, it will use beginner-friendly Japanese 250cc training motorcycles. But don't count on it.

Jeff, with all due respect, you are totally wrong on this one.

The Blast is perfect for a training bike because it is capable of taking huge abuse on the training range and still continue working. The typical crash damage is the loss of the turn signal lenses and stalks. Rarely does anything else break off. The only other thing that is an expendable item are the shift lever (you can straighten this 3 times before it breaks) and the peg support struts (These can be pulled straight many, many times). The parts are cheap too.

The "grabby front brake" is simply people improperly grabbing the front brake before the weight transfer occurs, and we brief that a lot when running braking exercises for that reason. Many of the guys and a few of the girls have to be told to use only two or three fingers until they get a feel for the brakes, which is usually after exercise two or three of the BRC. We always brief "squeeze the front brake lever", and I usually tell students to lead slightly with the rear brake which gets the weight transfer going. Buell brakes are very powerful by design, and the only reason I did not purchase a Ulysses was lack of anti-lock brakes and the timely arrival of the R1200R at the end of 2006 at my local BMW shop (test ride victim!).

Clutch: It is easily adjustable and if that was an issue on a Blast you were riding, it was the fault of the shop using them for not setting it up properly. It is also a wet clutch that is not prone to burnout like some "training bikes" I have had the displeasure to work with.

Weight: About 370 pounds wet. Not really an issue for anybody I have taught because the CG is so low. That includes a lot of tiny ladies who were absolute newbies, and some of whom were vertically challenged on the "low" seat.

The specs for a Ninja 250 shows a dry weight of 352 pounds. Wet it should be about 360 or so, so is essentially the same bike with only 27 HP from its engine, so this argument is totally erroneous.

Other common trainers:
Honda Rebel 250. Wet weight: 329 lbs.
Honda Nighthawk Approximately 350 lbs.

Too Powerful (???) :The Buell blast is powered by single cylinder, 4-stroke, 492cc (30.02 cubic inches) engine at about 34 horsepower. In actual fact, most of my students jump into much higher powered sport bikes (which I try to discourage without much luck), so the massive 34 hp Blast is a good training bike for them to figure out how and why they will kill themselves on the CBR1000 they purchased the week before class and dumped in the road several times already.

Fearsome Vibration: Its a Thumper for chrissakes, not a Boxer R1200RT !. At training speeds it is ok, and the heavy flywheel in the engine is very forgiving to improper clutch use and starting in second and third gear until they figure out getting back to first on stops. If you really want to ride it at highway speed (!!!), some Thottlemeister heavy ends work great to damp the buzz.

As a MSF/RidersEdge bike it is the proper tool for the job at hand.

The Blast will continue, for some amount of time, to be produced for the Riders Edge classes. There is a rumor about that HD is preparing a replacement which I hope will be as tough a little trainer as the Blast.

Japanese "lightweight" trainer... I certainly hope not, unless they can take the abuse the Blast can, or we will end up with crates of bike pieces at the ranges.

The loss of Buell is simply the result of the inability of HD to get dealers to sell a really nice bike that had some warts, because it "Wasn't a Harley", and other bad business decisions on the part of HD in its finance division. Think "Housing Bubble bust" applied to motorcycle financing for people incapable of repaying the loan. Economics 101 simply applied

Last edited:
Back