• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

10/11 - Massive Landslide Closes 410 near Nile, WA

grafikfeat

Wow! A Huge half mile Slide!!
Just in case you were heading to Yakima via 410. Take 12.
It tore away 410 and blocked the Naches River.

Not my images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/sets/72157622438776353/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010044629_webmudslide11m.html

4002218744_fca7d2cf7c_o.jpg

Can't say I'm all that surprised, you've got a river valley with fairly steep sides, eventually gravity is going to pull some dirt down. I wonder how you deal with an artificial boundary like property lines in a situation like this. Do you extend the lines up through the newly deposited earth? Can you even rebuild on a slide-site like this anytime soon? As the owner of an old house perched way too close to the edge of a steep slope these are not entirely academic questions for me.

I wonder if WSDOT will try plowing through the pile and rebuild the road on it's old course or rebuild around it and the new course the river has found for itself? They could probably make a good legal argument for an eminent domain land condemnation but the politics could keep it in limbo for years.

This wasn't some dirt... The size and scope of this slide has everyone scratching their heads.
They suspect a mining company on the same slope who were in fact warned a few years back.
Everyone is keeping quiet until the survey is complete.

It's still moving too.

I hope no one got buried under that..........

I feel really bad for those folks that live there. Build your dream home on what you think is solid land and even the folks on the other side of the river, their property is going to become the river.....yikes.....

Last edited:
Back