• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When a mechanic damages your bike

burnszilla

I took my bike into a dealer to replace the cracked rubber boots on the drive shaft and final drive that were covered under warranty. When I got home I noticed there was small noticeable ding (through the paint and into the metal) on the top of the final drive. Then I remembered when I peeked into the service area to see if my bike was on the lift, the mechanic dropped the final drive and it swung on the bottom hinge and it hit a jack, and he cussed. I didn't think anything about it until I saw the damage a few days later. I called the dealer and he said to bring the bike by to see what he can do.

I haven't had time to swing by the dealer yet and I'm sure they'll do the right thing, but this kind of stuff puts me into an uncomfortable spot. Am I being petty? I don't want to ruin my relationship with my dealer, yet they are at fault. Is he going to replace my whole final drive costing him about $1000, just for a ding?

Has anyone had this happen to them? What was your outcome?

Tip: Inspect your bike fully after every service.

I like to inflict the damage myself, thank you very much.
Petty? Not hardly.

Now, can you control your temper? See how gracefully you can negotiate the repairs. I find that a cool head and gentle persuasion works better than brute force.

That's a bummer, man.
Good luck.

Just take it in a give them a chance to make it right.

+1

We all make mistakes; as such, I think you need to give the dealer a chance to make it right.

On a side note, but similar theme. I take my Bimmer to an independent repair shop, which likes to replace the license plate frames with ones that advertise their shop (instead of the dealer). Well they scratched a part of my car getting the new license plate frame on. My car's about 13 years old, so I thought they were going to fight me on this one. But, to my surprise after taking a quick look, they sent the part off to be re-painted.

As to inspecting your bike (or car) after service is a good idea. Unfortunately, the system is set up against you, since they don't bring your vehicle around til after you pay.

Own Up

The disappointing thing is that the mechanic must have seen the dammage from the drop and did not own up to it.:nono Now you are put in the uncomfortable position of having to confront THEM rather than their presenting the issue along with an appology and some compensation.

Charles

When Voni's RS was fairly new, she was out west and it needed something - I forget, tire maybe. The mechanic semi-dropped the bike rolling it off the lift. I say semi-dropped because he stuck his body under it to keep shiny parts off hard surfaces. Brave soul!

Anyway - it got a scratch on the hard bag on that side. He showed Voni and she just said, "Let's put a sticker over it." She got her choice of all the stickers he could find. I think it's her "Quitters never win. Winners never quit" sticker, if I recall correctly.

The disappointing thing is that the mechanic must have seen the damage from the drop and did not own up to it.:nono Now you are put in the uncomfortable position of having to confront THEM rather than their presenting the issue along with an apology and some compensation.

Charles

+100 :thumb

That would have been my next post to this thread.

I agree with Paul - bring it in and let them make it equitable - if it is a stand up shop you should be able to come to some agreement.

Hey it is going in the right direction as they are willing to look at it. :lurk

I don't know if a new final drive is doable for a nick in the paint????? If the bike is a trailer queen I would ask for the final drive to be painted. If it a rider, then I would probably touch up the nick and try to settle on a couple of free oil changes or a valve set. Bikes that are ridden are going to get nicked. I do like to put the 1st nick on myself.

Ralph Sims

FWIW, I would make sure there is no "damage of substance." Here is why I say that.

Lubing the final drive splines on my first BMW (K100) I "dropped the drive and caught it" just as the drain plug tapped the concrete of the carport. It was not a full impact landing, but the jolt was just enough to create an almost invisible, but nonetheless leaky crack in the casing. It showed up as an occasional drip that landed on the sidewall when the bike was parked on the side stand.

I eventually replaced the final drive -- tried to find an RS unit but ended up with another stock drive. I think it was a 32/11 or something like that.

Anyway, my point is to encourage making sure you do not have any damage beyond the cosmetic issue with the paint. The way I see it paint will eventually get chipped as normal wear and tear if you ride a lot and in varied conditions. But a crack can lead to expensive mechanical failure, which in some instances could also become a safety issue.

Whether or not you want to fight over the paint chip is your call. Personally, were I in your place I would be disappointed at the course of events, but for something as out of sight as what you seem to be describing, I doubt I would make it a hill to die on.

Just MHO

Last edited:
Just take it in a give them a chance to make it right.

Yes. Once, the final drive gears on the RS turned to crinkly in the middle of the Nevada desert. The mech had, a thousand miles previously, drained the oil and neglected to refill. The shop paid for a new rear end and a very expensive tow - not happily, I'm sure, but with good grace. I continued to patronize them.

The disappointing thing is that the mechanic must have seen the dammage from the drop and did not own up to it.:nono Now you are put in the uncomfortable position of having to confront THEM rather than their presenting the issue along with an appology and some compensation.

Charles
I agree with this post. The mechanic should have made mention of the damage. Personally, I probably would bring it up to the dealer, in a non confrontational way. How I dealt with it after that would depend on the dealer's response.

Tip: Inspect your bike fully after every service.

Better still, BEFORE every service so that you know where it stands. Take pics of it as well. Someone I know should have.

I'm always happy when my vehicles go off warranty. I've been lucky enough that none of them needed any warranty work. The only time a dealer sees my vehicles is prior to the time of delivery.

Back