• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Opinions on three button signals?

O

Osm3um

I have ridden a number of bikes over the years and always had troubles remembering to cancel my turn signals.

I recently picked up an 1150rt and have found that the three button BMW signal systems is FABULOUS. I rarely forget to cancel my signals. Not sure why but I love it.

I find it interesting that I have read that a lot of people don't like it. Anyone else like the system better than the single button?

Bob

I wish that I felt the same way. I've been riding a BMW since last January, and I still fumble around with the turn signal buttons and the way they're designed and positioned. I'm not sure if it's just my brain refusing to break a 30-year-old habit or less-than-good ergonomics, but I'd prefer a single button. All things considered though, it's a minor issue.

I'm disappointed that BMW has given in to the press on this issue. People who own a bike get used to its quirks and "character", whereas the press guys get on a bike for 2 or 3 days and then move on.

The three button system has a huge advantage over the left/cancel/right switch on the Japanese bikes, and it's one I don't often see mentioned:

If the traffic in front of you suddenly stops, you can IMMEDIATELY get your flashers running by punching both buttons with your thumbs and holding them. You can do this without moving your hands or being unable to use the brake and clutch levers.

On the R1200s, BMW made this official, but it works on the 1100s and 1150s. If you have trouble finding the horn vs. the cancel button, how long does it take you to hit the 4-ways, if your bike even has them?

For riding in urban traffic and on the freeways, this is a wonderful, fraction of a second, life saving feature.

I have had the BMW 3 button signals on most of my bikes since 1986 - yes - 23 years - starting with my first K75. It took a ride around the block to figure it out and I much prefer it over the Japanese style signals that appeared on my F650.

I do like the shape and placement of the 3 buttons on my R1150 better than the buttons on the earlier 3 button controls.

I suspect that BMW had other reasons than just the press idiots to change controls - maybe some new European Union standard, or something to do with Canbus, or maybe a new supplier emerged. In any case - in my book it is a step backwards.

I'm disappointed that BMW has given in to the press on this issue. People who own a bike get used to its quirks and "character", whereas the press guys get on a bike for 2 or 3 days and then move on.

The three button system has a huge advantage over the left/cancel/right switch on the Japanese bikes, and it's one I don't often see mentioned:

If the traffic in front of you suddenly stops, you can IMMEDIATELY get your flashers running by punching both buttons with your thumbs and holding them. You can do this without moving your hands or being unable to use the brake and clutch levers.

On the R1200s, BMW made this official, but it works on the 1100s and 1150s. If you have trouble finding the horn vs. the cancel button, how long does it take you to hit the 4-ways, if your bike even has them?

For riding in urban traffic and on the freeways, this is a wonderful, fraction of a second, life saving feature.

Never liked them, and I owned the bike for a couple years.
The good old fashioned left thumb switch for turnsignals works great; and on my Honda, I have instant simultaneous access to both my horn (left thumb) and hazards (right thumb) when I need them.

I love the three button set up on my RT.
I love the single button set up on my KLR.

The trick is being AWARE of ones controls :stick

:D

Took me a few days to get used to my K1100RS turn signal switches. Now I would really miss it.

I'm with Paul- the new switchgear is a step backwards.

I like HD turn signals the best of any I have tried. My '99 GS does not have self cancelling turn signals which I prefer. I have tried the newer BMWs with self cancelling signals and find the HD version to be more real world friendly. That said I installed the Kissan Signal Minder on my GS and that brings it closer in function to the HD. Close but not quite but OK all in all. I prefer the HD or modified BMW to the UJM signals by far. Don't like the horn button positioning on the BMW particularly.

Last edited:
I love the 3 button setup.

Regardless of type of switch, I think placement is equally important. I recently test road a Buell (1125?) and while I was surprised with how it performed, I would NEVER buy it because of the turn signal placement. Extremely awkward, making it nearly impossible to use quickly.

I suspect that BMW had other reasons than just the press idiots to change controls - maybe some new European Union standard, or something to do with Canbus, or maybe a new supplier emerged. In any case - in my book it is a step backwards.

:nod

The 3 button set up is great. I should remember not to listen to moto-journalists all that much. Well only when BMW's win their yearly awards for best in class awards.

I've found the use quite intuitive when needing to change lanes.

The three button setup is okay, and I am used to it, but I prefer the up/down signal switch on my '78.

I had the three button system on my RT and it was great

I have the single button system on my GT and it is fine - quickly adapted.

The only thing I can say is better - and this pertains to me only - is that with the single button system I now longer give an angry left turn signal when I go for the horn.

:lurk

I don't know what the big deal is about turn signals. I had a K100LT and it took me a day to get use to the turn signals. I did not even mind the horn button, but I did think it strange to raise my left thumb to honk it.

I now ride a Honda ST1100 and it took about a day to get used to the Honda turn signal.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It's not rocket science.

Ralph sims

Three Button- Thumbs up

One Button- Thumbs Down

I own a 99 R1100S with the proper three button arrangement, it's not my first bike (93 yamaha Seca II) but like Paul said, it took less than five minutes for me to get used to the BMW system.

Recently, I had the opportunity to test ride a 08' (or 09'?) K1300GT for seven days with the newer one button signal arrangement. Although I don't really see it as a deal breaker, the one button arrangement really just seems cheap feeling. I can't help but think that the change is cost related for BMW, meaning they're saving money by adopting the conventional arrangement. Less plastic, fewer parts. It's my opinion, of course.

The three button arrangement just seems more substantial to me. And I'd be more interested in looking for a 1200GT partly because of the signal switches and urine cup looking fluid reservoir.

...so I suppose the switches are a dealbreaker?

Maybe I've finally lost my mind?

Having had my R1100RS for many years. I've become very comfortable with the three button system. Its almost intuitive to use once you get accustomed to it; almost like the infamous "countersteering" - to turn right, you push right, to turn left, you push left.

I had my 03 F650GS for not quite two years, and just never got used to the single button. Switching from the RS to the GS was a guaranteed mess for the first several turns until I got my head straight on which switch gear I had at hand. Thus I can understand the confusion the media finds with the three button system given the common use of the single switch by so many brands and models. Though it was never something that was a deal breaker on a bike for me, having to replace the thumper with my new F800GS made me a bit more happy knowing it would have the more familiar (to me) three button system.

I love the 3 button setup. Seems intuitive to me.

Now the horn button, for some reason, I just do not get.

There have been several occasions when I "left blinkered" someone in anger.

I try to practice when I can, I just do not think it is going to happen

Rod

This is my third bike... first BMW... I like the 3 button set up...
It is completely an extension of my body, don't even think about it... on...off...left..right...
Some one else posted about how easy it is to turn on the hazard flashers...
I agree 100%... the first time i did, on a rainy day coming upon a wreck in the road... it was natural and intuitive even though i had never done it... have use the feature several times...

Peter OKC,OK

If you add a KISAN Signal Minder to your BMW you will end up with a "Two Button" system. Push left button to start flash, push it again to cancel, same for the right.

Push and hold the button a 1/2 second longer and the left or right signal will flash very rapidly for lane change.

The Signal Minder has three quantity of "flash" before it cancels. I believe it is 8, 30 and 45 seconds.........but if you hook up an aux wire that comes with the kit to your brake light, the signal will flash continuously until the brake is released and then start its predetermined flash count.

You also get the advantage of "running lights" where the turn signals are always on at a settable dim mode. Makes you more conspicuous.

Retail Price: $109.95

SM-5 unit is designed as a plug-in replacement for most BMW "R" Bikes and some "K" series bikes with dual handlebar mounted turn signal switches. This unit has a matching 12-pin connector and replaces the original Delphi turn signal relay.

SM-5 operates all four turn signal lamps at reduced intensity to enhance your visibility in the traffic. This conversion is all done internally without any modifications to the wiring. This optional feature can be enabled or disabled on the fly.

SM-5 has soft touch configuration. Soft touch configuration allows the timeouts and running light options to be changed on the fly.

SM-5 has (3) selectable timouts: 8 seconds, 30 seconds, and 45 seconds.

NEW FEATURE (xx930BF2 code)

Built-in RUN-TURN-BRAKE functions
No need to buy other turn signal conversion product. You get all the features of RUN-TURN-BRAKE and automatic signal canelling!

If you hook-up the 12 volt supply from the brakes, to the signalMinder brake input:

BRAKE FLASH OPTION will flash the turn signal lamps every time you apply brakes. A short 2 second flash pattern begins with quick flashes then slows down to stay on solid.

BRAKE OVERRIDE OPTION suspends the time-out feature until the brakes are released. This allows continued flashing for those times when you are waiting at the signals to make a turn and do not want the time-out to cancel the flashing.

MORE FEATURES

FAST FLASH Lane Change
If you hold down the turn signal switch, turn signals will flash twice as fast for the first (4) times. This is an excellent feature to get immediate attention while changing lanes.

Same-Side-Cancel
Instead of using your right thumb in that awkward motion to push up the Cancel button, simply push the Same-side button to stop flashing.

4-Way Emergency Flash Push both right and left buttons simultaneously to begin 4-Way flash. To stop, use the right side Cancel button.

The last thing you need is to worry about canceling the turn signals! Use all of the built-in options of the signalMinder and enjoy the ride.

signalMinder has an add-on product known as vectraLIGHT. These LED arrays simply plug into the signalMinder and inherit all of it's features. They are designed to mount under the turn signal mirrors.

Back