• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The big renovation: 1908 home

Looking good! I'm helping my brother with a similar project 6 hours away in Buffalo, NY. He and my 73 yo Dad did the gutting and framing, I did wiring, plumbing and HVAC. The drywall was hired out, then he painted, did the flooring, and I hung cabinets, plumbing finish out and tied in the new panel. Still have some trim to finish up and siding but it's getting there. He opted to spray 2" of the foam on the exterior walls both for sound and R value, then added fiberglass batts as well for R-26 to fight the Buffalo cold. We also put in conduits for future wire pulls to the panel, but as mentioned, with everything going wireless we didn't go overboard. Next spring we will remove an old attatched garage and replaxce it with a livingroom/foyer addition, but he needs a rest for now.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress, it has been fun to watch!

Any interest and coming out to do the HVAC work? :ha

I've been a little amazed at the estimates for running new ducts.

Going to make Thanksgiving in the house?
:wave
I am rooting for you.

Um... no. :lol

The last piece of the puzzle that's making my head hurt is the bathroom. Everything else is sorted through and mostly ordered. The bathroom... not so much.

Hard to imagine all the hand wringing over plans and this is the simple thing we ended up with (the original plans included a remodeled basement).

717251229_JTPqc-L.jpg

Scott,

In the business what you are doing is not remodeling. It is called a "gut rehab". That is, the entire stricture is gutted and rehabilitated from ground to roof.

exactly what we have done over three years to a 160 year old Acadian house. Lots of work;lots to learn;lots of money.

Enjoy this thread and knowing that we are not alone in our bliss! :laugh - Bob

There is no place to put the toilet paper holder in the bathroom.
(Just tryin' to help)
:hide

note the dot on the left side of the toilet. I think that's the holder. Bit of a tight reach I think but not many other choices unless you go to a free standing unit for both left and right handers. - Bob

Any interest and coming out to do the HVAC work? :ha

I've been a little amazed at the estimates for running new ducts.

Sure, but 'til you pay the airfare it may be a wash..........

I've gone to TX and New Orleans to do HVAC, plumbing and drywall, but that was huricane disaster relief so not quite the same.

I hope they are proposing metal duct with an exterior wrap, no fiberous dust particals to blow off into the airstream that way. They may also be suggesting a heatpump with hot water back-up. The hot water can be made by a 90%+ eff. , on demand hot water boiler that has a seperate heat exchanger for your domestic hot water as well. Very efficient and not crazy money, at least here. Quietside makes a good 90+ boiler, vents in PVC pipe, both intake for combustion and exhaust. PM me if you have specific questions, wish I were closer, would love to help out.

note the dot on the left side of the toilet. I think that's the holder. Bit of a tight reach I think but not many other choices unless you go to a free standing unit for both left and right handers. - Bob

I saw that, but I guess it was unthinkable for me. :ha
I am spoiled, I like them right next to me, not behind me.
Don't care about right or left side though.
How about an electric one that drops down from the ceiling Knary?
:laugh

I thought they used spotted owls in the PacWest ?

Save a tree, wipe your ass with an owl. :laugh

That was in vogue for a while, but explaining the talon lacerations to the ER doc got a little tiresome.

We used that pedestal dispenser in our bathroom....... until the cats figured out how much fun it was to paper the floor!

Tom

.... and since we seem to be hovering around the bathroom at the moment, another thought: insulate all the bathroom walls, especially around drain pipes. We went to the extra work and expense to actually insulate all interior walls and ceilings for a bit of soundproofing throughout.... not only both bathrooms. It seems to work quite well and allows us to close off a couple of bedrooms in the Winter if we want (uh, no kids just occassional guests). Anyway, the point is the bathroom. Been in some new houses that actually amplify so many of the sounds resident to the bathroom facilities. - Bob (heading off to said room with newspaper and coffee)

.... and since we seem to be hovering around the bathroom at the moment, another thought: insulate all the bathroom walls, especially around drain pipes. We went to the extra work and expense to actually insulate all interior walls and ceilings for a bit of soundproofing throughout.... not only both bathrooms. It seems to work quite well and allows us to close off a couple of bedrooms in the Winter if we want (uh, no kids just occassional guests). Anyway, the point is the bathroom. Been in some new houses that actually amplify so many of the sounds resident to the bathroom facilities. - Bob (heading off to said room with newspaper and coffee)

The wall between the bathroom and bedroom, as well as the wall between the laundry and dining room, are staggered stud walls. We will also be insulating as you suggest.

We used that pedestal dispenser in our bathroom....... until the cats figured out how much fun it was to paper the floor!

Tom

That's why I said under in the over under thread.
Little kids can't figure out when it's under, how to get it all spooled off.
Cats might though.
:ha

Scot

Are you going to have an eat in kitchen ?

Because a friend of mine had a similar layout and he switched the Dining Roon and Living Room areas. It cut down of traffic in the dining room and made it closer for them to run to the kitchen for food during TV breaks without going through the dining area.

What insulation works best in the Pac Wet ? Are there mold issues, condensation etc etc ?

What happened to your nice garden ?

Scot

Are you going to have an eat in kitchen ?

Because a friend of mine had a similar layout and he switched the Dining Roon and Living Room areas. It cut down of traffic in the dining room and made it closer for them to run to the kitchen for food during TV breaks without going through the dining area.

What insulation works best in the Pac Wet ? Are there mold issues, condensation etc etc ?

What happened to your nice garden ?

We talked about flipping the two, but someone, not me, vetoed the idea outright. When you're eating dinner in a small house on a small city lot, the privacy of the room deeper in the house is all the more desirable.

Mold is an issue. The first trick is to use good old fashioned felt instead of one of the modern building wraps. With so much moisture in the air in the winter months, the aim is to let it out rather than try to keep it from ever getting in. Beyond that, all the usual insulation options apply. With our relatively mild climate, it's harder to get the return on investment from some of the more expensive options. I think we're going fiberglass and cellulose depending on the location.

The garden is partially buried in building materials. :bluduh

Back