• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The big renovation: 1908 home

BTY, while the electrician is there put in more plugs than you think you'll need. - Bob

10-4 on that one. :thumb

I always wished I would have put in under-counter lighting ... and outlets under the counters ... in the kitchen at Beemer Hill. Outlets underneath the counters are out of sight and so convenient.

Really enjoying this thread!

:clap

Check out Lightolier 3" cans # 2000IC housing with a 2005 WH trim. This trim uses a 50 PAR 20 lamp which provides a nice white crisp light and no transformer to have to replace later. For accent this housing will accept Lightolier #2027, this trim has an adjustable lamp angle up to 30 degrees. When the the lamp is adjusted straight down it looks just like the 2005 trim so your look will be uniform as far as trim and lamp look. The three inch cans look less obtrusive and provide good light when compared to the 5" and 6". The 6" to me look like hub caps screwed to the ceiling. But thats just me.

As far as receptacles the NEC, if they use that in your state, is very clear and if wired to code you will have plenty of receptacles usually. On general wall space you can not be more than 6' from a receptacle. IE start your measurement at an opening, a door etc., and the first receptacle need to be within 6', the next receptacle on linear wall can be 12' from the first one. So if you are stand between receptacles you are not more than 6' from. Locally we go a little more heavy than that (more receptacles) but code is usually sufficient. If you have a specific locations for funiture or book shelves or computer etc. make sure you have power where you will want it. On countertops you can't be more than 2' from a receptacle. Start at a sink or break in the counter top and you need a receptacle within 2'. After that 4' apart. We go a little heavy there too. The big thing is that more circuits than code requires is very desirable. We usually only put two kitchen counter receptacles on a circuit. Code says you can put the entire kitchen and dining room on just two small appliance branch circuits. Get more circuits than that! Make sure your ref., dishwasher, and other appliances are on their own individual branch circuits.

In regard to lighting there are lots of options and ideas it usually the limiting factor is "how much do you want to spend". Check around and find a look you like and go from there. You can go from a table lamp in the corner to computer controlled lighting systems with lots of options in the middle. How thick is the wallet? And yes to dimmers they are inexpensive.

Have fun.

Last edited:
dimmers don't work with those pesky little pretzel-like florescent lights. Halogen are hot but so controlable and fit into tight places. Likely many more options on the market but halogen and the good old Edison thing work for us.

Re: plugs. We are set at about 4-6 feet. Living room had the closest fit with a little cluster of three behind the future entertainment unit (pellet stove, tv, stereo, light).

I agree.... great little thread and, if you look at it all from another perspective, lovingly restructuring a fine old house is a bit like working on an old /5 that you just found in a barn:bolt - Bob

There are CFL lamps that are dimable for retro fit into a 120 volt fixture you would need to change your dimmer though. In new construction I think the smart choice is to commit to fluoresent or incandescent at this point. At least as far as recessed lighting is concerned. There are many options available in fluorescent and incandescent models. Fluorescent fixtures are available that are dimable but at a higher cost. The color rendering of the fluorescent lamps are getting better but the lamps for recessed lighting the choice is limited. I looked at recessed the other day for an office and the 16 or 26 watt lamps available for those were either 2700 K or 3500 K. The 2700 K having a warmer look and a CRI of 82 but the CRI for the 3500 K would be higher (colors would look more natural). While the fluorescent are less expensive to run, in my area they are not in widespread use in residential applications. In commercial applications the fluorescent are more the norm. Most go with halogen, PAR lamps, or straight incandescent, R lamps, for residential use.

Last edited:
:thumb

As I'm the electrician* on this project, I can do whatever I want with little fuss - just more and more questions. :ha

I'll be putting in as many plugs as I can manage without making it seem like a physics lab, with doubled up outlets in more than a few spots. These days, as we all know, there's that much more to plug in. A single box next to the bed doesn't come close to being enough these days between lamp, clock, reading light, and the occasional laptop.

I did a fair amount of research on lighting when I built the studio a few years ago. The formula for us is color correctness, temperature and price. If a bulb's CRI is too low, I won't buy it.

There are two excellent lighting stores in the area with designers eager to help. I'm pricing the recessed lights, porch lights, accent lights, bathroom lights, lights and more lights right now.

Most importantly, I did manage to get out of the permit office with approved engineering changes after 3 1/2 hours. The city's engineer was very unhappy about having to put a triangle with a 3 in it on the plans. You'd have thought I'd asked him to eat poo.

*my father arrives on wednesday to lend a hand. He's going to play with plumbing while I pull wires.

This wall isn't holding much up any more with the new beams under the house, but it makes us very happy to see a sister wall getting put in. You can bury a screw driver in the old wall without much fuss.

724546879_c3Yoh-L.jpg

A hole like this where there used to be concrete would make Erin a little -um- anxious. Doesn't faze her at all any more. :ha

724546927_c62Bj-L.jpg

The guy bent over is right over the spot where the ammo can was found.

Off to go get the gravy out of the bird. :D

This wall isn't holding much up any more with the new beams under the house, but it makes us very happy to see a sister wall getting put in. You can bury a screw driver in the old wall without much fuss.
edit

A hole like this where there used to be concrete would make Erin a little -um- anxious. Doesn't faze her at all any more. :ha

edit

The guy bent over is right over the spot where the ammo can was found.

Off to go get the gravy out of the bird. :D

speaking of that ammo case......my wife Mary is curious, since you found that stash, whether a bit more scatching around might find some real cash behind a brick or something. Our reno only found some old newspaper insulation and a Rosary...... so the Priest came over and used it to bless the house (really). Nice touch but no money. - Bob

Scott, make sure the recess cans are "airtite" so the room heat/cooling doesn't end up in the attic. Recess cans are also nice as they light the area, not the ceiling, so depending on the finish plaster/drywall, you won't notice imperfections. Don't forget to run an empty 2" conduit up to the attic, it will give you an easy way to add stuff later.

Whenever possible, send the guy whose money you <i>might</i> inherit up a rickety ladder set on a pile of rubble.

732940576_896Jy-L.jpg

As long as he doesn't see the thread and catch on to your evil plan........:nyah

Knowing about a plan and preventing it are two different things! (he's sitting about 8' to me left and browsing this thread) :ha

To quote Kbasa quoting a movie, "Two weeks" :ha :cry :ha :cry :ha

I've got some stories and updates I'll try to post tomorrow. The quick synopsis: Thank you for your work but now it's time for you to leave. :ha

OOOoooo this sounds like it's going to be good reading. I planed a low key Friday night, now it looks like home made pizza a few beers and curl up with my computer and read - Showdown at the 1908 Home.
:lurk

OOOoooo this sounds like it's going to be good reading. I planed a low key Friday night, now it looks like home made pizza a few beers and curl up with my computer and read - Showdown at the 1908 Home.
:lurk

:wave

Nothing too dramatic. Just the usual ebb and flow of dealing with contractors.

p.s. I find myself thinking about an R12R. Did I mention that I'm broke? :ha

Back