• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What has happened to the XPLOR Forum???

I tried posting over there, but there was some sort of technical problem with the forum software and some of my posts kept giving me an error. I sent an email to the tech contact and never heard anything back. After a while I gave up trying to post anything. I think the worst part of the change they just made is the lack of response to anyone. Nothing is worse than a "man behind the curtain" type of attitude from the admin staff. Making yourself available, joining in on the discussion, and making people welcome is very important, and they seemed to miss that point. Anyhow, it's THEIR site, so they are free to do with it whatever they like.

I tried posting over there, but there was some sort of technical problem with the forum software and some of my posts kept giving me an error. I sent an email to the tech contact and never heard anything back. After a while I gave up trying to post anything. I think the worst part of the change they just made is the lack of response to anyone. Nothing is worse than a "man behind the curtain" type of attitude from the admin staff. Making yourself available, joining in on the discussion, and making people welcome is very important, and they seemed to miss that point. Anyhow, it's THEIR site, so they are free to do with it whatever they like.

I just cleaned out my profile and all my photos so they dont try and use them inaapropately from the my user profile galleries.

I think the final nail in the coffin has been hammered down fully in. They about 1 hr ago completely delete the thread in question. Looks like the dev team got there feeling hurt.

I just cleaned out my profile and all my photos so they dont try and use them inaapropately from the my user profile galleries.

I think the final nail in the coffin has been hammered down fully in. They about 1 hr ago completely delete the thread in question. Looks like the dev team got there feeling hurt.

The re-posted the same thing, but in a thread that does not allow replies. :ha

XPLOR WAS fantastic, much better than this forum. But now it is dead: completely worthless.

VSTP is where it's at. No rules, good people, adult behavior. You can talk politics and religion and not be banned to the doghouse, and people don't toss out insults at each other. It is a tight group of about 50 people who actually make an effort to see one another and ride.

I'm on my way to Barber now to hook up with several.

Robo

Just out of curiosity and in the name of "constant improvement", why do you feel Xplor was better than this forum? What could we change to make this forum a better place? Feel free to respond privately if you wish (and others feel free to respond to me as well, if you like). Thanks!

Just out of curiosity and in the name of "constant improvement", why do you feel Xplor was better than this forum? What could we change to make this forum a better place? Feel free to respond privately if you wish (and others feel free to respond to me as well, if you like). Thanks!

I don't get eye strain on Xplor.

There is no leadership on Xplor.

Both forums are equal in transparency.

The biggest Xplor forum contributors quit and formed a Yahoo Group I doubt anyone would do that here.

Xplor is better because it doesn't have a woe is me show or a campfire of nonsense on a motorcycle forum.

Xplor chased the other brands out of the sand box instead of allowing them with greeting open arms to a free BMW MOA event. However Motorrad did allow them on their demos and GS school but not on their Xplor forum despite they were owned by faithful BMW riders........... I am confused but like both forums you pay to play..

Xplor acknowledges Americans can't ride or travel globally. On their GS Forum they feature Global Travelers, 5 Brits, a Dane, a Norwegian and one American, clue he looks like a Viking. :) I guess the marketing is they Xplor America we don't. Ride our bikes, send me a story and never feature it type of community development outcome is the Xplor mantra. Xplor features the backsides of those that scratch their backside which sounds familiar they must have gone to the same MBA School. The MOA forum is different about 25,000 more available backsides.

Xplor never responded to a Global Traveler nominee who speaks Spanish and would do a great job marketing to the Spanish rider population but I guess that marketing sector doesn't need a role model. At least he will feature the MOA in his work and spread our gift of endless knowledge.

Please don't let Scott remodel the forum again he has to get a roof over his head.

I have to stop now I need eye drops again.

Hint: If you're running Internet Exploder,
At the lower right, click on the magnifying glass and select maybe 125%.

My vision is Ok 20/20 OU, the page needs to be darkened a tad its almost as if you are driving into oncoming traffic at night. Yet if I go to my photo server its too dark, I run Windows XP. I have other lights on in the room so the PC lighting is not that concentrated. I was thinking about wearing glacier goggles for snow blindness with an application of a sun blocker. People ask if I was in Florida I have to tell them I was on the MOA forum too long.

Thanks

Hey JD, it was not well worded. XPLOR was much better FOR ME. I have a lot of very good friends on XPLOR. XPLOR only had a few active posters, but we were tight. XPLOR was more like a dinner party, MOA is like a concert. Being an introvert, I prefer the smaller group.

The only criticism I have of the MOA is the doghouse. It is immature. There should be some forum section where people can discuss what they want like adults: religion, politics, anything. No threats or name calling, but open forum. That's a pretty minor criticism. The tech forum here is outstanding, too.

One immediate issue with XPLOR (among others) was that I found the overall forum software cumbersome. I must rather this type of format.

To RoboRider, I appreciate your preference for a smaller group but the flipside of that was a clique-ish feel where it seemed that one was intruding in someone's private party.

I agree that the old XPLOR forum seemed cliquish. The posters there were, without exception, friendly and good, but they all seemed to know each other, which could make jumping into the discussions seem more like an intrusion into others' conversations. The BMWMOA forum seems too big for that — more like a big rally where people come and go instead of a private party. I suppose each type of forum has its place, and I'm sorry to see the XPLOR forum die.

I also agree that the XPLOR forum software is awkward to use, and it lacks the niceties of a well-developed, full-featured discussion board like phpBB or vBulletin (the software that runs the BMWMOA forum). Still, the XPLOR forum design and layout has an active feeling to it that, I think, is a bit more exciting and engaging than the BMWMOA forum which is, well, gray. I'm just not sure that a grayish, dullish, generic look fits the personality of most motorcycle riders. The color and excitement here depends almost exclusively upon the discussions taking place and the vibrancy of the community — this despite the stage itself being a bit bare.

Just one more thing: this forum seems well-tended by people who actually care, pay attention and participate. The XPLOR forum seems run from a distance by uninterested absentee landlords who arrogantly show up to nail new building rules on the door only when the police or the health department calls them in.

One immediate issue with XPLOR (among others) was that I found the overall forum software cumbersome. I must rather this type of format.

To RoboRider, I appreciate your preference for a smaller group but the flipside of that was a clique-ish feel where it seemed that one was intruding in someone's private party.

Hey Kevin, XPLOR absolutely was a clique, but not exclusive. There were 5, then 10, then 20...etc. We loved new posters joining in and always gave a welcome and "hope you stick around". But it is true we did, and do, meet up and socialize several times a year at various spots around the country. Looks like Arkansas will be next.

We now have a private forum, but even that is open to anyone who would wish to join. We have about 60 people now. We are a clique, but not a closed clique!

And yes, the software on XPLOR sucked, and continues to suck. Now of course the forum sucks, too, and I'm gone from it.

BMW had a good thing. Sure, we discussed "campfire" issues, and Ducatis, and Hondas, etc., but we were all BMW fanatics and pro BMW. Any new guy could join (you didn't need a VIN actually) and ask about BMW and if they should buy one. We were a mini marketing team.

I bought my BMW because I love the bike and it is a fabulous machine. I will keep the bikes, they can keep the "forum".

Finally, the one problem I see here is that people are less tolerant of diverse opinions. How many times has someone posted and then gotten responses that question his intelligence or are insulting in nature? It happens a lot. I like this place, it's the best currently out there, but people need to "chill" sometimes! If we all agreed, and all were the same, there would only need to be one bike manufacturer producing a single model for us all!

Robo

And yes, the software on XPLOR sucked, and continues to suck. Now of course the forum sucks, too, and I'm gone from it.

Robo

I did the same thing... cleaned out my galleries of images and left the XPLOR forum in the past... too bad... it was starting to shape up into something nice for a little while. Easy come Easy Go

XPLOR WAS fantastic, much better than this forum. But now it is dead: completely worthless.

Robo

I just popped in there again to browse over member photos and their galleries.

Have you seen what is marked as "Top Rated"? You really have to roll your eyes and wonder about some of the contributors...

A pic of "Burnt Rubber" on pavement.

A pic of a "BMW Burnout" on pavement a la Mad Max style.

Then there is one of a Logo in the "Most Viewed" section. Wow...:scratch

I can hardly handle the excitement.

My vision is Ok 20/20 OU, the page needs to be darkened a tad its almost as if you are driving into oncoming traffic at night. Yet if I go to my photo server its too dark, I run Windows XP. I have other lights on in the room so the PC lighting is not that concentrated. I was thinking about wearing glacier goggles for snow blindness with an application of a sun blocker. People ask if I was in Florida I have to tell them I was on the MOA forum too long.

Thanks

:dunno

I've never heard someone complain about reading black text on a white background before. :ha

I joined when it first started and now it can remember my email address, but can't allow me to Log in or let me rejoin. I think it's like a lot of BMW answers... running around looking for a question....that no one asked. Half thought out, half baked and a failure as this thread indicates.

I'm sure those who created it were all excited about what they would bring to the BMW bike community, but when it didn't attract a large enough group from the git-go some of the developers wandered off and the downhill roll started. I didn't get the first e-coupon or the followup one at all. Gee, guess I should have bought more bikes from them in the last two years (5).

:ear Just tried to see what was up over at bmwxplor and xplorgs and all i get is a Server Error 500... guess they finally pulled the plug.

Back