• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R1100RS out of dry dock. Need advice.

S

stwilliams

I just purchased a low mileage 1996 R1100RS. It belonged to a friend who last rode it about 5 years ago. It's sat unattended in his garage since then. It appears to be in great shape. Has only 12,400 miles on it.

My question to the group is what all should be done to get it rode worthy again? I figured change the engine oil, trans oil and final drive. New oil filter. Brake flush. (The front brake master cylinder leaked, so I'm planning on rebuilding the master cylinder.) The tires look to be ok, but I'm guessing I should start fresh with some new shoes.

There is about a half tank of gas that has probably been in there for 5 years. Not sure if it is worth the trouble to try to drain it. (How hard would this be??). Or just dilute it with a top off of fresh gas and run it out. Guess I could be a siphon device and try to siphon off most of the bad gas.

I am new to fuel injection and motronic. New to ABS as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just purchased a low mileage 1996 R1100RS. It belonged to a friend who last rode it about 5 years ago. It's sat unattended in his garage since then. It appears to be in great shape. Has only 12,400 miles on it.

My question to the group is what all should be done to get it rode worthy again? I figured change the engine oil, trans oil and final drive. New oil filter. Brake flush. (The front brake master cylinder leaked, so I'm planning on rebuilding the master cylinder.) The tires look to be ok, but I'm guessing I should start fresh with some new shoes.

There is about a half tank of gas that has probably been in there for 5 years. Not sure if it is worth the trouble to try to drain it. (How hard would this be??). Or just dilute it with a top off of fresh gas and run it out. Guess I could be a siphon device and try to siphon off most of the bad gas.

I am new to fuel injection and motronic. New to ABS as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would get rid of the gas and put in fresh fuel. After five years whatever is in there will have no octane value. You may want to replace that master cylinder. I have rebuilt them and have had subsequent failure. Replace those tires! Oh yeah, the gas is easy to siphon. Auto parts stores sell a lot of useful siphons.

followup

So....I ordered a new fuel filter. I'll drain the gas and replace the filter. Plan to change all fluids.

The front brake master cylinder was pretty corroded around the rubber boot. Apparently they went with a new zinc coating on the inside as the previous bare metal was prone to corrosion. So I ordered the new master cylinder unit. Ouch.

In my haste to remove the old master cylinder, I forgot the bike was equipped with heated grips. So as I pulled the throttle tube off, it yanked the wires clean from the heater coil element. Double ouch. Replacement isn't cheap. Live and learn.

Got an appt for new tires. After reading reviews, I'll put the Metzler Z6 on. New battery is on the way.

This should hopefully get the bike back to roadworthy status.

Have been reading reviews, and opinions on aftermarket shocks for the bike. I'm guessing the stock original are in ok shape, but I'm 6 ft 1 in and 280 lbs. Bigger than the average bear. If I'm going to go through the trouble to stiffen the springs, I'm thinking I might switch out the shocks at the same time. Perhaps Ohlins or Wilbers.

This will be a future project.

So....I ordered a new fuel filter. I'll drain the gas and replace the filter. Plan to change all fluids.

The front brake master cylinder was pretty corroded around the rubber boot. Apparently they went with a new zinc coating on the inside as the previous bare metal was prone to corrosion. So I ordered the new master cylinder unit. Ouch.

In my haste to remove the old master cylinder, I forgot the bike was equipped with heated grips. So as I pulled the throttle tube off, it yanked the wires clean from the heater coil element. Double ouch. Replacement isn't cheap. Live and learn.

Got an appt for new tires. After reading reviews, I'll put the Metzler Z6 on. New battery is on the way.

This should hopefully get the bike back to roadworthy status.

Have been reading reviews, and opinions on aftermarket shocks for the bike. I'm guessing the stock original are in ok shape, but I'm 6 ft 1 in and 280 lbs. Bigger than the average bear. If I'm going to go through the trouble to stiffen the springs, I'm thinking I might switch out the shocks at the same time. Perhaps Ohlins or Wilbers.

This will be a future project.

Based on the bike's mileage, the shocks should be good for awhile. As to the ABS; you need a good battery. You may need to replace it. Auto parts stores will load test the battery for free.

Agree about the battery. I've had it on my optimate for 3 days now and its enough to run the lights, but starter just clicks. New battery is on the way.

Back