• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Metzler Interact tires on BMW

roborider

God? What god?
If you run Metzler Z6 on your BMW, you know that the KGT, RT, etc., take special tires. The RT takes a "K" front and a "C" rear, for example.

The new Metzler Interacts have a "C" rear tire (just a standard front for now) but I have searched a lot to find it onlinle. Finally, I see AMT sells the special tires for BMW. If you need new shoes, and you want Interacts, go to:

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

The prices are good but you have to add shipping. My set for the R12RT ran $311 out the door.

Robo

Jim, is that comparing Interacts with regular Z6, or vs. a different tire? I love the Z6 for all conditions, I ride very aggressively, and it is a hard to beat tire. And, despite what others say, once you know how to read the tire and where to look, it is quite easy to know when you are on your last miles.

I am a Z6 fan from riding several sets of Z6 Roadtec tires. In August I mounted a fresh set of Z6 Interacts for my ride to Alaska. I just returned from that ride last week and can report the Interacts last about the same as the Roadtecs. I wore them out with the 8600 mile ride. The center was showing several inches of steel cord upon inspection after getting home.

In 2006 the same ride with the same wear results. The handling was very good up to about 6000 miles. Very grippy in the canyons and mountains with good grip in the rain. These tires handled grated bridges with stability and stretches of gravel and mud in construction zones were controlled and predictable.

After 5000 miles of course pavement and Alaska torture the tires really gave up their good manners with the wear induced by the punishing roads. The return ride during the last 3000 miles had to be handled with great care. The rear always felt like it was under inflated wanting to come around through turns. This was a result of caming over the sharp rear profile wear edge. The turn in became noticably heavier and less responsive. The tires maintained their pressure well and handled the sharp edges and potholes of the Yukon Roads without failure.

I would say with less extreme road surfaces the tires would have faired better in the last miles of life. I consider these Z6 interacts superior to the original Z6 series in terms of handling and wet riding traction. The wear is very similar. My new set has been mounted and I am looking forward to the excellent performance again.

I have tried Road Pilot 2 ,RoadSmarts, and BattleAX tires and keep coming back to Metzler. They just feel more responsive and seem to work best with my RT. While not the longest lasting tires, they feel more responsive and have proven to be reliable. I will take those qualities over longer lasting any day.

New vs Old

Jim, is that comparing Interacts with regular Z6, or vs. a different tire? I love the Z6 for all conditions, I ride very aggressively, and it is a hard to beat tire. And, despite what others say, once you know how to read the tire and where to look, it is quite easy to know when you are on your last miles.

Cannot say for certain as the original Z6's were two sets ago. Like the Interac on its own merit not based on comparison

If you run Metzler Z6 on your BMW, you know that the KGT, RT, etc., take special tires. The RT takes a "K" front and a "C" rear, for example.

Robo

I love the Interacts on my 2004 R1150RT, so far. According to their fitment chart, doesn't need a K or a C. Do you know what those designations mean ? I'm always learning stuff from this forum !

I had a set of metzler z6 interacs installed at americade this year. I have to say after about 500 miles, that I love these tires. very grippy, great ride. can't say about the long term because they are brand new, but so far I am very happy with them.

I was told the designation was for a stiffer sidewall to handle the heavier weight of the bike. But I'm no expert. I made other posts that the interact for me was a bust. I wore mine to steel on the sides in just over 2000 miles and went back to the regular Z6 which is now discontinued.

Crap. I bought 4 sets of Z6 regulars since they were discontinued. Oh well, that's only about 1.5 to 2 years of tires for me so I'll be ready for Z8s soon enough.

Back