• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Synto Levers Install

pfiedler

He Who Rests Rots!
Has anybody had the pleasure of installing a set of Synto brake and clutch levers on a 2008 K1200GT? I just purchased a set from Pirates Liar and they come with virtually useless instructions. They sure are beautiful and VERY adjustable. I'm looking forward to getting them installed.

Before I start unscrewing things associated with two of the most important levers on my bike, I thought I would check around and see if anybody has already done this and perhaps may have taken photos of the process as well.

If there's any advice out there, please let me know and thank you in advance for any help. If I get the nerve to attempt this myself, I'll be sure to take some photos and post them for other forum members.

Please ride safely!

Peter

Peter - I took some pictures from the repair CD to outline the process flow fro removing each lever.

The clutch side is not too bad, the throttle will take a little work, especially if the bike is optioned out.

PREPARATORY WORK

Remove Bar End Weight
K44_R32028b_small.jpg

Remove Grip
If you have heated grips you need to disconnect the heater connection
K44_R32032b_small.jpg

CLUTCH LEVER REMOVAL

Three Steps

K44_R32035b_small.jpg

K44_R32036b_small.jpg

K44_R32037b_small.jpg

Retorque the Bolt to 11Nm (8.1 lb/ft)
Retorque the bar end weight to 19 Nm(14 ft/lbs)

FRONT BRAKE LEVER

Preparatory Work

Remove the Bar End Weight
K44_R32027b_small.jpg

Remove the Throttle Grip
If you have cruise and heated grips you need to disconnect both and also disconnect the throttle cable

K26_32008c_small.jpg

K44_R32032b_small-1.jpg

K26_32023b_small.jpg

Remove Lever
K44_R32042b_small.jpg

Retorque the Bolt to 11Nm (8.1 lb/ft)
Retorque the bar end weight to 19 Nm(14 ft/lbs)

Luis,

These are fabulous drawings! Thanks so much.

I don't know...I may just bite the bullet and have one of Tom's guys at Max's do this for me. Those are two really important components of the bike!! I would hate to mess up something and have to call for the road truck! :banghead

Where can a mere mortal acquire one of the service CDs that you provided the images from? Some of the best service drawings I've seen.

Thank you again for your valuable assistance. I really appreciate it!

All the best & please ride safely!

Peter

Peter - touch base with Rose and ask her for the Repair CD Rom.

Note that there is a part number glitch so ensure you are ordering the 1200 instead of the 1300 CD. DAMHIK!!

You should confirm that you need 01 59 7 720 805

It's spendy, about $125, but worth every penny, imo.

BTW i had to do similar work on my wife's bike when I changed out her clip on handlebars. It is not difficult just need to take your time, but Tom has a great crew so you can't go wrong either way.

Luis

Yes he did and they look awesome.

Met up with Peter at Max's Thanksgiving party - will let Peter speak to the install

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been offline a bit these days now that the colder weather is settling in. :(

I ended up having the levers installed at Max's BMW in North Hampton, NH. It took all of about 45 minutes and involved taking off part of the housing for the clutch and brake assemblies. There is a red screw that is used to press on the hydraulic units for both the clutch and the brake. That screw absolutely must be heated to remove as you have to use it on the new Syntos. That's the hardest part of the job.

The other thing you have to be careful of is the micro switch that's part of the clutch assembly. The new lever doesn't fit quite as nicely as the stock lever, so a bit of adjustment was needed on mine. I discovered, after the initial install, that the Synto lever was depressing the micro switch continuously, therefore the cruise control would not properly engage. (The bike thought the clutch was being held in all the time.) I brought the K back to Max's and the mechanic did some fine adjustments on the micro switch lever (be careful not to bend too far!) and all is perfect now.

I love the levers. They are very adjustable, look great and add a bit of personality to an already very personable motorcycle!

Good luck and drop me a note if you need more information.

Happy Holidays and ride safe!

Best,

Peter

Good info...thanks!
I read about the micro switch adjustment isue on another site earlier this evening . They didn't have any other info however. Will install once the present is opened by the giftee.

Had not really looked at controls on the S that closely( even though we have 2 now)...I was still used to the RT's and our other R bikes. I had looked at the pics down the page and had not even looked at my K12S CD yet. Anyways, walked out to the shop and the S is going to be even easier to swap as you can access the pivot bolt w/out taking the controls off:thumb. The shorter reach is going to be the ticket for her bike.

Installed and a Happy Helen!

Went for NYD ride and she had a :thumb and :bliss

Attachments

• P1010092.jpg
    P1010092.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 197
Yesterday's Synto install

Hi all-
I installed a set of Synto levers on my '08 GT yesterday.
I wanted to let everyone know that the installation can be done without completely removing the grips. If you get the grip heat wiring out of the cable holders on the bars, there is enough slack to allow you to slide the grips out 1=2 inches, which is enough to allow access to the remaining screws that need to come out.

Cautions:
1. the piston actuating rod/screw in each stock lever needs to be reused, and removal is tricky because of the loctite. Heat is the best method, but it can be done without heat if you are very careful.
2. The clutch position microswitch will need adjustment after replacing the levers. It's also tricky.

My advice would be to go for it if you are mechanically inclined, but if not, take this to a shop.

The levers seem worth the trouble. They are more adjustable and look great. I bought the short version, and even though I have not yet been on a test ride (rain), the feel is a big improvement for me. I needed to get the clutch lever closer to the grip, and these levers made it possible. I also like the short levers because I often use the 2-finger method on the right.

To save BMWMOA bandwidth, here is a link to a thread with plenty of pics (posts #30 and #31): http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19668&page=3&pp=10

Back