• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How Do I Find GPS routes for Catskills Rally

S

stachler

Looking for scenic and challenging routes plotted by someone with previous experience in the area. The national had several useful posts and gps file to download to maximize the experience while in the area for the weekend.

I have heard there are similar postings for the Hunter, NY Catskills Mts Rally but have not been able to find it in the forum search. Anyone have a link?

I plotted Michael Friedle's route sheets from last year's event. There are three routes.

I will provide a few more suggestions as soon as I plot them.

Here are two more. There is some overlap with Michael's routes, but they also include some additional roads.

Leonard Hill State Forest Fire Tower.

This route has about six miles of well maintained dirt road, Definitely worth the trip.

390703952_8TeVD-L.jpg

390703988_TCPQf-L.jpg

651606838_AcbFo-L.jpg

Colors North

This is the last one for me.

Here's what it looks like when they are all loaded together.

655515478_kZRzL-O.jpg

GPS Routes through Catskills

Thanks for all the info. Do you recommend any of them as a must travel. Looking for paved routes on my LT, twisties always nice, but scenic the most important.

Thanks again! Have a great weekend.

Thanks for all the info. Do you recommend any of them as a must travel. Looking for paved routes on my LT, twisties always nice, but scenic the most important.

Thanks again! Have a great weekend.
They're all pretty great. :thumb (I just came back from another weekend up in the Catskills -- my place is in Roxbury).

Route 42 between Lexington and Big Indian is a favorite as is Route 47 (Frost Valley Road) between Big Indian and Claryville. Route 10 between Stamford and Walton is great too.

Thanks Reid, this is great. It's always good to have insider information - when it comes to routes at least.

Took a 2 hr ride yesterday afternoon to Hunter ,thru Jewett on 23C (saw sow bear w/2 cubs), over to rte 42 to Shandaken then scooted around the Askokan Reservoir where I saw an 8 point buck sparring with a spike by the Dividing Weir. The leaves are starting to change at elevation so it should be beatiful next weekend.
The construction on rte 23a west of Hunter is done as is the same on rte 23 west of Windham. There is still some work going on by the Aerators by the AShokan but the bridge work is done by Winchells Corners on Reservoir Road and on 28a on the west end of the Ashokan in Boiceville. Rte 23C between County rte 17 and 23a had some patch work done . Couple spots with some marbles in the turns but should be cleared off by next weekend.

If anyone unfamiliar with the area (and GPS challenged as I am ) wants to know some good roads and routes in the area I'll write 'em up and post 'em in the next day or so. Also give a few places to get some vittles along the way during the day.

This route has about six miles of well maintained dirt road, Definitely worth the trip.

390703952_8TeVD-L.jpg

By well maintained, do you mean well enough for a GS or an LT?

I've done well maintained roads on an LT Lot's of fun :thumb

and I've done some not well maintained roads on an LT. Not fun :banghead

is it doable on a 800gs without knobbies?

First off, Thanks for all the of information vis-a-vis gps routes etc.

Quick question -

By well-maintained, do you mean it can be done on a 800 gs without knobbies?

I don't have the time to get knobbies installed on the bike and would like to explore these roads over the weekend..

Thanks again!

Back