• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

On the road again!

womanridge

As I posted in another thread, I'm on the road. I'm going for dinner and a glass of "whine" and will try and post something under Ride Report later.

You call 500 miles your first day out a slow start! Holy Cow, Batman! 425 mi one day and I was beat. I need more practice!

Keep em coming, womanridge! :)

You call 500 miles your first day out a slow start! Holy Cow, Batman! 425 mi one day and I was beat. I need more practice!

Keep em coming, womanridge! :)

No kidding! We rode straight through from the National this year. While I can say "I did it!" I was wiped. What's the secret womanridge (or any of our other long distance riders)?

Last edited:
No kidding! We rode straight through from the National this year. While I can say "I did it!" I was wiped. What's the secret womanridge (or any of our other long distance riders)?

I'm sure everyone who rides long distances has their own method... I'll share mine and you guys should add (or subtract) as you see fit.

My highest mileage day so far is 1,526... but I do 1K days half a dozen times a year. There are some seriously high mileage women in this room who have ridden much more and I'm sure have even better tips.

1. most of my 1k days are unplanned... they just happen everything was right... the weather, the traffic, me and so on. I just wasn't finished riding so I kept going and going and going...
  2. I need to be tuned into my own circadian rhythm... personally I like to start very, very early in the morning and put on several hundred miles before dawn, your rhythms will be different, just be aware of what they are and be guided by them
  3. I have been able to ride longer since I got really good earplugs, put them in your ears and your butt doesn't get nearly as tired. Wind noise is very fatiguing
  4. Ride relaxed. not sloppy or inattentive but relaxed... arms, shoulders, jaw and so on. It's harder to relax when you ride with someone else... most of your attention is on the road but the little bit that is left over is directed toward the other person.
  5. eat very lightly and drink lots of water while riding... don't wait for a gas stop, get a hydration system and use it.
  6. I do isometrics all the time while riding... people say I wiggle around a lot. Just tensing and releasing different muscle groups helps avoid cramps, aches and sluggishness
  7. If you need to stop... stop! about 150 miles into a long day I am often overcome with sleepiness, so I stop and sleep soundly for 20 minutes to an hour. Learn to power nap and stay ahead of fatigue

Before you make your list to figure out HOW, figure out WHY you want to do this... it's not a contest, and it doesn't make you a better rider, Try it if you want but don't be ashamed of calling it quits, and live to ride another day.

oh and BTW: don't attempt a 1K your first or second ride of the season... work up to it... it's like anything else, it goes better if you are conditioned for it.

Look in Ride Reports!:wave

Karen, Thanks for posting the report there. Many folks come to the Forum because they enjoy the Ride reports and if you gals kept them in here for yourselves, alot of folks wouldn't find them and would miss the fun.

Anyone can always post a link here to their ride reports and that would work well to let folks know what's going on..

I think riding an RT with full fairing and all the other "Schtuff", long miles are easier than on other bikes. Less fatique, etc. Then again, I believe some of it's conditioning.
Remember I did 20,000+ last year and a saddle sore this spring.
I can't believe someone can do the 11 day Iron Butt rally, but women have done it year after year. I doubt I have the stamina for it, but someone younger and more fit can. I think we all know some that has.
500 mile days are not for everyone. Everyone should ride their own ride, but let me know Bex, if you're up for a 500 mile day.:dance. I'll ride along.:thumb

Go Helen/Karen! :danceJust saw this in the latest "American Motorcyclist". Awesome article from Neil Peart (Rush Drummer) and great BMW motorcycle plug. I can so relate to this quote.

"If you have to go back and forth to work, maybe take an extra half hour and go the long way. If your route home is 10 miles, make it a 30-mile great ride! I learned that from my friend Brutus years ago, when we had to ride across Ontario from Quebec to Toronto. Brutus mapped some ridiculously complicated route on all the little county roads, and when we got there, I said "Wow! That took nine hours!" He said, "Yeah, woud you rather have fun for nine hours or be bored for six?" It was a very good and obvious lesson.

Wow - do I get that one.:dance

Womanridge, been looking for you to come on board today.

How's it going? Weather holding out for you? Raining here in Chicago right now but the Bears won. *smile*

Womanridge, been looking for you to come on board today.

How's it going? Weather holding out for you? Raining here in Chicago right now but the Bears won. *smile*

Hey Sudani, thanks for asking. Left a short post on 'ride report. Hopefully, more photos tomorrow.

Back