• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where do you stash your gear and bike??

I think my garage is 22' x 22', and we have two Subarus there. The bikes (when there were two): one fit across the front parking spot of one of the cars and the other fit along the passenger side of the right side car. This is the bike that is out more often than the car, so I thought about just parking it behind the car. But one day, you know you will just get in the car and back it out without thinking first!

This does mean you can not let the passenger into the car without first backing the car out of the garage; and letting them out of the car in the driveway, then pulling into the garage. It also means knowing your exact parking margin, since you don't want to pull up too far and hit the bike in front, but if you don't pull up far enough, you can't manuever the other bike, with luggage mounted, around the rear fender of the car. I figure a miss of an inch is as good as a mile.

In the winter, the bike is further into the corner so the 8 hp snowblower can be in the easily-accessed spot, and this means something still blocks the passenger door for the car on the right.

I never keep my riding gear in the garage. Bugs, dirt, cold, etc. It is scattered throughout the house, in various closets, dressers and shelves. The helmets and gloves are in the laundry room, right off the garage.

garage.jpg

The house and garage are built into a hill: the uphill side faces the road, and the garage has its own basement. The garage also has a single-layer wood floor, so I'm not too keen on pulling the Subaru into it. It seems to hold three bikes reasonably well, however. I'm a big fan of suspending things from the ceiling. Behind the bikes you can see a ladder, and two 15' kayaks (the boats are hoisted by pulleys and then supported with slings). Along the right side is the hockey gear rack, and along the left side are a pair of cheap-ish cabinets containing bike tools and some gear. Power tools live in built-in cabinets along the back wall. There's also a wood stove dating back to the 1960s, when the garage was sort of a clubhouse/hideout for all the neighborhood guys.

I keep my helmets and gloves in the garage, but I bring my other gear into the house.

Both cars and the bike have a place in the garage. Our garage is about 25 x 22. The bike sits along the back wall in front of my car. (I think I can fit a second bike in front of the wife's car if I clear out the garage a bit. Shhhh-don't tell the wife though.) It's a good place during the winter, but during the summer, it's trouble some to get the bike out. With an 18-mos old in charge of the household, I'm not able to get out on the bike much these days.

The gear storage is also not that convenient. I have the pants and jackets upstairs in my closet, the helmet and gloves in the den, and boots in the downstairs closet. I need to find a better location for it. I think I may clean out and remodel the downstairs closet (it's deep and goes under the stairs). I'd like everything on the first floor.

The bike shares an assigned parking spot with the car. The gear stays upstairs (unless it'll fit in the city cases). Pretty minimalist, but it works. Maintenance is an absolute pain, though. The parking deck is pretty dark.

Jeff

My 2 1/2 stall garage has four bikes and a complete woodshop in it. No cars are allowed. I am just beginning a major remodel that will see a 3 1/2 stall garage built onto the back of this existing garage and my new 3-wide driveway will now be off the main street on the side of my house (I live on a corner lot.) The existing garage is being expanded out towards the current front of the house and will become our new kitchen and dining room. The old driveway goes away and becomes grass.

With the new design, I will have room for the bikes (two more are yet to come) and two autos/trucks. The woodshop will be off the back of the third stall, making the new addition "L" shaped. I will have a closet in stall #3 for the bike clothing. Stall 3 will be for all of the bikes. It is the 1 1/2 of the 3 1/2 stall garage.

We have almost completed an additional bay to our double garage. I have have never had any building constructed before, and I am surprised at the complexity of even this basic a structure. But we're almost done.

Last edited:
parking spot in or around NYC

I would kill for a garage. Even a 1 car garage at this point. I guess the bigger the space, the more stuff you collect... George was right.

Anyone know of a garage or indoor parking with 24/7 access and a power outlet in or around NYC? That doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Maybe even a place where there are like minded BMW riders where I could learn to wrench my own... and have a beer...
me either.

Back