• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do you plan a European Bike Vacation?

I was expecting it to cost about $5000 per person...which is why I am starting to save now.

Well at today's rate for the Euro at 1.45...

2 weeks for a Honda CBF 1000: Ôé¼1100
14 nights accomodation with breakfast: Ôé¼490
14 dinners: Ôé¼280
14 days gas at 20 liters per day: Ôé¼448

Total: Ôé¼2318 or CA$3361 plus your airfare and non essential extras.

You're about right on.

I too am thinking of spending some time riding in Europe in 2011. My plan is to spend 4 or 5 months travelling around the continent. When I think of buying a new bike, the cost in Europe is far greater than US. For example, a new 1200 RT here is in the $18,000 range, but in Germany or Austria it's $22,000 when you factor in the cost of the EURO (1.36 U.S. as of yesterday).
So, my other thought was to ship my bike over there, pick it up in a port in Germany and then ship it back when I'm ready to come home.
I have traveled in Germany & Austria 3 out of the past 5 years, so I'm comfortable with the roads and lodging options, but I've never traveled by motorcycle there and that's my dream.
Any thoughts on buying vs shipping?

We fly out June 30th to Munich. Will be riding two up. Pickup bike 2 July (GT) from Motogreek. Have made first 3 night reservation in Hinterthal Austria and last three nights in Garmisch Germany. In between we'll plan as we go (probably Dolomites). Plane tickets were high, $1400 each. Bike rental is 1145 Euros. First three nights are 350 euros (half board/ breakfast and dinner), last three nights at a US military resort Edelweiss, will be $450 US (no meals). We'll be on bike for 12 days. This will be our first trip to Europe. Have ordered cell phone from verizon for use in Europe ($15.00 fee plus .99 per minute if/when we use it) We don't plan on coming back with regrets from what we did or didn't do.

I began planning in December. Thought about doing a guided tour but knowing my wife and me, I knew we'd rather go it alone. Another couple is joining us. I sent emails to several rental companies throughout the Alps region and settled on Motogreek because of quick response and location in Munich.

Returned last night from first trip to the Alps . Rented a K1300GT Motogreek in Munich. Wife and I were two-up. Flew from Washington DC into Munich.
1 night Munich
4 nights Simonof Hotel Hinterthal Austria
5 nights Evaldo Hotel Arraba Italy
3 nights Edelweiss Resort Garmisch Germany
All inclusive costs $8k

PS, to the naysayers that say a GT is too big to be enjoyed on the "best roads in the Alps", take a course and ride more. We had no trouble riding two up on a fully loaded (with 49L top case) K1300GT.

Back