Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you plan a European Bike Vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Expect the traffic around the lake to be horrible.
    I've been around it and it was nothing special. In fact having to go through all the tunnels on the west side was misery. Too much traffic, much like Lago di Como.

Cost of touring Europe

My wife and I did 2 weeks on bikes back in fall (Sept, Oct) of 2008. Here's a rough cost break down for two people on two bikes for 16 days (all in 2008 US dollars)

Airfare $1800 roundtrip
    rental on 2 bikes for 14 days $4500
    Gas for 2 bikes for 14 days (about 3000 km each) $900
    food, lodging, passes, etc approx $3800
    Total $11,000

Based on the advice we got from Globalrider and other on this website we did all out own planning and didn't make any reservations for hotels in advance except for our arrival and return to Munich (due to Oktoberfest). Never any problems with lodging or food.
    Included in that amount is a train ride from Padua, Italy to Venice and two days at Oktoberfest in Munich after we returned the bikes.
    had we been a little more selective in our lodging choices we probably could have saved some more money.
    After we returned the bikes we took a train to Florence and stayed 5 days then a train to Rome for 5 more days. In total for 4 weeks in Europe we spend less than $15,000.
    Of course you have to keep in mind that this is based on the fall 2008 exchange rate (approx $1.35 to the Euro) and lots of advanced (8+ months) planning a shopping for bargains.
    The important thing to remeber is that you can do it own your own and save a bundle. Just be informed and saty flexiable.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by paulmul View Post
    My wife and I did 2 weeks on bikes back in fall (Sept, Oct) of 2008. Here's a rough cost break down for two people on two bikes for 16 days (all in 2008 US dollars)

Airfare $1800 roundtrip
    Total $11,000
    Paul, was the airfare listed per person? I take it the food and lodging were for the both of you?

You really splurged. In comparison, I run about Ôé¼700 for two weeks for food and lodging.

BTW, my friend and his wife who are coming along this summer are renting a Honda CBF 1000 with three hard cases for Ôé¼550 per week. Thats a good rate.

Alex,

Yes airfare is for two and that's an open jawed flight into Munich and out of Rome. That cost me about $100 more than in and out of Munich. Also my home city is not a major hub so it costs me extra to get to Dallas or Houston first.

The food and hotel (for the two of us) is actually for 18 days since we were in Munich two nights before we left on the bikes and two nights after we returned them.

We didn't skimp on hotels.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by paulmul View Post

Airfare $1800 roundtrip
    Total $11,000
    I was expecting it to cost about $5000 per person...which is why I am starting to save now.

I am going to keep a closer eye on the costs for my trip this summer in the US to see how things compare. If course no airfare and no bike rental reduces costs significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by 149769 View Post
    I was expecting it to cost about $5000 per person...which is why I am starting to save now.
    Well at today's rate for the Euro at 1.45...

2 weeks for a Honda CBF 1000: Ôé¼1100
    14 nights accomodation with breakfast: Ôé¼490
    14 dinners: Ôé¼280
    14 days gas at 20 liters per day: Ôé¼448

Total: Ôé¼2318 or CA$3361 plus your airfare and non essential extras.

You're about right on.

I too am thinking of spending some time riding in Europe in 2011. My plan is to spend 4 or 5 months travelling around the continent. When I think of buying a new bike, the cost in Europe is far greater than US. For example, a new 1200 RT here is in the $18,000 range, but in Germany or Austria it's $22,000 when you factor in the cost of the EURO (1.36 U.S. as of yesterday).
    So, my other thought was to ship my bike over there, pick it up in a port in Germany and then ship it back when I'm ready to come home.
    I have traveled in Germany & Austria 3 out of the past 5 years, so I'm comfortable with the roads and lodging options, but I've never traveled by motorcycle there and that's my dream.
    Any thoughts on buying vs shipping?
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    Any thoughts on buying vs shipping?
    You might as well ship.

The depreciation of the new BMW will more than the shipping costs.

We fly out June 30th to Munich. Will be riding two up. Pickup bike 2 July (GT) from Motogreek. Have made first 3 night reservation in Hinterthal Austria and last three nights in Garmisch Germany. In between we'll plan as we go (probably Dolomites). Plane tickets were high, $1400 each. Bike rental is 1145 Euros. First three nights are 350 euros (half board/ breakfast and dinner), last three nights at a US military resort Edelweiss, will be $450 US (no meals). We'll be on bike for 12 days. This will be our first trip to Europe. Have ordered cell phone from verizon for use in Europe ($15.00 fee plus .99 per minute if/when we use it) We don't plan on coming back with regrets from what we did or didn't do.

I began planning in December. Thought about doing a guided tour but knowing my wife and me, I knew we'd rather go it alone. Another couple is joining us. I sent emails to several rental companies throughout the Alps region and settled on Motogreek because of quick response and location in Munich.

Returned last night from first trip to the Alps . Rented a K1300GT Motogreek in Munich. Wife and I were two-up. Flew from Washington DC into Munich.
    1 night Munich
    4 nights Simonof Hotel Hinterthal Austria
    5 nights Evaldo Hotel Arraba Italy
    3 nights Edelweiss Resort Garmisch Germany
    All inclusive costs $8k

PS, to the naysayers that say a GT is too big to be enjoyed on the "best roads in the Alps", take a course and ride more. We had no trouble riding two up on a fully loaded (with 49L top case) K1300GT.