• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Room of Her Own

I like this "room." It's comfy here.... my friends are here, and I can feel pretty confident that I won't be on the receiving end of someone's "rant".

Over the last several days, in another part of the forum, things have gotten a little ugly. I'm glad I can come back in here to breathe, relax with my friends, and remember why I volunteered to serve in this fine club.

And so - here is a big thanks to Karen, Steve, Irene, Voni, and anyone else who hung in there to make this "room" happen. It keeps me grounded.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we made this possible.
And, I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Sure seems to be a lot of confrontation out there. :fight
Grab your slippers and "binkie" sip on some hot chocolate and grab a good book, maybe by one of the authors mentioned on another thread in the Women's forum.
There's no place like home. :hug

You are very welcome. I'm glad we made this possible.
And, I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Sure seems to be a lot of confrontation out there. :fight
Grab your slippers and "binkie" sip on some hot chocolate and grab a good book, maybe by one of the authors mentioned on another thread in the Women's forum.
There's no place like home. :hug

Winter is upon us and people are gettin' crabby already. The Mod team is aware of it and watching.

Oh well, so much for the peaceful Summer...., hopefully folks remember we're all community here.

Knock knock, Good morning Ladies.

I like this "room." It's comfy here.... my friends are here, and I can feel pretty confident that I won't be on the receiving end of someone's "rant".

Over the last several days, in another part of the forum, things have gotten a little ugly. I'm glad I can come back in here to breathe, relax with my friends, and remember why I volunteered to serve in this fine club.

And so - here is a big thanks to Karen, Steve, Irene, Voni, and anyone else who hung in there to make this "room" happen. It keeps me grounded.

Sue, The rants are from just a few, remember there are 30,000 + moa members not ranting! Thanks to all the board who make this such a wonderful club.
Martin.

Just finished "American Borders" by Carla King. She rode around the U.S. on a Ural w/side car. Fun read. She confirmed what Helen said: "Don't be afraid to ride alone. Just do it and use the same common sense you use every day of your life." Anyone else out there want to recommend a good book?

Snip

Finally! After running into as many problems as a lawyer would attending a seminar on honesty, I am happy to say that the books are finally out, done, available and real. The official unveiling is taking place in Victoria BC at EvedarÔÇÖs Bistro on the 14th of November from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM.

Whoops! My fault! I guess I am too psych'd. The first book is called Two Wheels through winter" it is about my 2007 record breaking Cross Canada trip on my motorcycle from Victoria BC to Cape Spear Newfoundland from the 1st of January to the 19th. it sells for $28.79
The second one is called "Iceman VS Labrador. This one is about riding from Victoria BC to Goose Bay Labrador in January of 2008. This is the trip where I rode the 2200 kms of ice roads and hit temperatures of -61C. it is the also $28.79
Both books are about 300 pages and filled with 150 pictures in each. soft bound with color inserts as well.
Paul Iceman Mondor

I just came across this.
Martin.

Just finished "American Borders" by Carla King. She rode around the U.S. on a Ural w/side car. Fun read. She confirmed what Helen said: "Don't be afraid to ride alone. Just do it and use the same common sense you use every day of your life." Anyone else out there want to recommend a good book?

I have to say there is a very liberated feeling traveling alone. It's all on you and do whatever you want. When I travel I really have no itinerary or schedule. Get there when I get there. A bit serene. Some days I may see how far I can travel, some days I may not go anywhere while on the road.

I've had to hang out at truckstops and restaurants for multiple hours taking care of work. That makes it a bit hard traveling with others at times.

At times it can be a bit lonely. seeing something cool is always nice to share with someone.

At times, I've had to stop total strangers to tell them of my excitement at seeing incredible sights!

Either that or explode!

Voni
sMiling

Just catching up on this forum after being offline for 2 days for BMW MOA stuff. I missed you - and feel, now, like I am home.

As far as the earplugs and music thread - I always wear earplugs, and never listen to music. I long for the solitude if the bike, and I find myself "burning a lot of brush" as I ride.

that is the most precise phrasing of the process that I have ever heard. thanks for that one. - Bob

At times, I've had to stop total strangers to tell them of my excitement at seeing incredible sights!

Either that or explode!

Voni
sMiling

Hi everybody, thank you for sharing the room you have created! Voni, love that quote!

My room has a ritual for entry... dawning of boots, over pants, jacket, gloves, helmet... It can take a bit to warm up and start to relax. Move the daily noise out of your head and be in the moment. But an hour or two later I feel like a new person. I lost that room for a while in my earlier years, but am so happy to have gotten it back.

Gifts of Old

I remember as a little girl of about 9, wanting so many things, dolls, cool things, things I knew I wouldn't get. Thinking it was that Christmas that I got nothing but clothes. (I'm sure, with 4 of us kids and me being the only girl, that is what was needed.) In particular, I remember to this day the deep purple, full box-pleated wool skirt and matching horizontal purple/white stripe sweater to match. My gawd, I was so happy when I outgrew that outfit! But then, I always peeked at my presents before having to open them on Xmas morn. Definitely took the sting out of the disappointment. You learn to deal.

What do you remember?

I remember my sisters and I always setting out cookies , milk and a coffee cup for Santa and his elves. Never failed that the cookies were always partially eaten, the milk was gone and the coffee cup was used. I wondered how they did that and still made it to everyone elses house.:scratch

Ahhh, the innocence of childhood

I remember as a little girl of about 9, wanting so many things, dolls, cool things, things I knew I wouldn't get. Thinking it was that Christmas that I got nothing but clothes. (I'm sure, with 4 of us kids and me being the only girl, that is what was needed.) In particular, I remember to this day the deep purple, full box-pleated wool skirt and matching horizontal purple/white stripe sweater to match. My gawd, I was so happy when I outgrew that outfit! But then, I always peeked at my presents before having to open them on Xmas morn. Definitely took the sting out of the disappointment. You learn to deal.

What do you remember?

I have almost the exact opposite memory... The one and only time I snooped into the presents...for some reason I usually did what I was told, go figure??... I found this beautiful sweater, It looked my size, had blue in it (*my* color)... I could hardly wait for Christmas!!

Imagine my disappointment when my sister opened HER present with MY sweater in it! Of course I couldn't mention it because I wasn't supposed to have looked. I have never sneaked a peak since!

Then there was the Christmas Eve that I had to sleep in the attic because we had so many house guests and was besieged by pirate ghosts all night!! whew... scary!

I have almost the exact opposite memory... The one and only time I snooped into the presents...for some reason I usually did what I was told, go figure??... I found this beautiful sweater, It looked my size, had blue in it (*my* color)... I could hardly wait for Christmas!!

Imagine my disappointment when my sister opened HER present with MY sweater in it! Of course I couldn't mention it because I wasn't supposed to have looked. I have never sneaked a peak since!

Then there was the Christmas Eve that I had to sleep in the attic because we had so many house guests and was besieged by pirate ghosts all night!! whew... scary!

Hey Helen, good to hear from you.;)

What do you remember?

That is so funny, Sudani! It made me remember a certain hand-me-down when I was in 7th grade (or thereabouts). I never thought of us as being poor, but we certainly were on the lower edge of the income curve. Hand-me-downs were a part of life.

My older sister outgrew a winter coat that was passed onto me. It was bright magenta (the ugly pink) with loopy mohair or wool fabric. Oh-my-God, it was hideous.
:sick I refused to wear it.

That was the winter that I had only a lightweight cotton jacket to wear throughout the bitter Wisconsin winter. I can still remember how cold I was that year, waiting for the bus. But at least I looked good! :laugh

What do you remember?

Eew - horizontal stripes. :laugh

I remember my brother getting into fights at school over whether or not there was a Santa Claus. He believed until he was 14. He would ask my mom every year if Santa existed and she would say, "Of course. There's no way I could ever afford to buy all this stuff." Note: we grew up with little money; however, every year there were tons of presents under the tree. I think a family member helped my mom with our presents - so yes, for us there was a Santa Claus.

Last edited:

What do you remember?

I remember wanting a horse...a REAL one. There was only one problem; at the time we lived in an apartment! I told my Mom I would keep it in my closet.

Years later, we actually moved to a farm and I was able to live out that wish. I quickly realized that there's a lot more to owning a horse than just admiring their beauty! Kind of like owning a bike. I love to ride, and do so all year round. I hate it when I have to leave it for more than a day for maintenance or, in next weeks' case, the installation of fork lights.

Thanks for keeping this forum going, Ladies! It's a pleasure to know there's so many of us out there!

-Steph
2004 R1200CL

Thank you-

To all those that helped make this room a success this year. Looking forward to a fun 2010 on the Women's Forum.
:hug

Happy 2010

To all - have a happy new year. Let's keep our fingers crossed for 2010!

Can't wait for Spring to fire up my baby....

Best wishes for a fabulous year to you all,

Back