• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Room of Her Own

H

HELEN

Yes, that's it... a room of our own.

Pretty simple, pretty basic... often neglected.

I'm a child of the 60's. The feminist movement was in its heyday... it was on the muscle years!... Shoot a girl could get lost in that.

With all the posturing... with all the rhetoric it was definitely an exciting time... perhaps too exciting. I grew up and grew away with the mere, simple thought of a room of my own.

A place to think... a safe haven where I could curl up with a good book or my journal, or pen and ink or watercolors or table saw or welder or back hoe and skid steer... the possibilities were endless... are endless.

I'm old now... I have that room of my own... actually a whole house of my own... a motorcycle of my own, dreams of my own, ambitions, hopes, fears... all of my own.

I'd like this to be a place where I can sit in a comfy chair next to you and share all the things I've found ... where I can hear about the things you've found...

We have all grown... we've found the stuff inside... many of us are still looking and would appreciate a caring understanding guide...

This is a place to be a woman... to be a rider... to have adventures... to blossom and share those things we all carry in a pocket somewhere.

Where do we begin? wherever we are.

I've read some interesting books lately, "Ellen Foster" by Kaye Gibbons... a young girl creating a family... "The Hakawati"by Rahib Alameddine a wonderfully intricate tale of ancient traditional Syrian storytelling mixed with today's world of family and loss.

Family and loss... common threads... This community has become my family, a found family based on nothing more than a desire to ride these silly machines... based on traveling and adventure... based on.. what?

I spent this evening with my ex-husband... the good-ex... the one that introduced me to riding many years ago... we still have that in common, but we've both grown and become all that we are. What a delightful thing.

It's family ... it's riding... it's who we are... where we've been and where we are going.
What a cool thing...

So can you pick up your bike? can you put it on the center stand? do you ride alone? do you love to travel? do you hate rallies? can you pee standing up? Does any of this matter?

If it is you... it does. If it is me, it does... no judgements... no quick fixes...

Come on in, slip your shoes off and sit on the comfy couch... what can I learn today?

Helen, you are pure magic!

Maybe, for some of us, our bike is the first Room of my Own we've ever had. How fun to share this knowledge with others who truly understand.

Voni
sMiling

What a great post, Helen! I wish I had your way with words!

Thanks to all the ladies and men of the MOA who helped make this "room of our own" happen. I look forward to reading and learning from the wealth of experience that I know resides on all of our forums here.

Maybe, for some of us, our bike is the first Room of my Own we've ever had. How fun to share this knowledge with others who truly understand.

Voni
sMiling

You know I think you are right, Voni. One of the things I especially love about riding my own bike and riding alone, is the quiet space in my helmet to think. It's a lot like yoga for me... you are in a state of hyper awareness... totally focused... that frees your mind to expand and go places without interruption.

Anyone else? ...and what do you find yourself thinking about?

Going down a tree lined backroad on a sunny day...no traffic anywhere...opening up to a lush green field with a farmhouse off in the distance.....I'm lost in the moment. It seems so peaceful...so perfect. Very different feeling to what I'm feeling while sitting in traffic. I love riding backroads where I can just "be"....no figuring out anything, no stressors.....no what's next. It's all about enjoying the moment. I had many of thoes feelings on my solo ride to TN.

You know I think you are right, Voni. One of the things I especially love about riding my own bike and riding alone, is the quiet space in my helmet to think. It's a lot like yoga for me... you are in a state of hyper awareness... totally focused... that frees your mind to expand and go places without interruption.

That's one of the reasons I don't listen to music when I ride....I'd hate to be "boppin along" to some tunes, and miss the eagle flying overhead, or notice the sunflowers following the sun.

I relegate the radio/cd player/IPOD to the car which gets me from point A to point B. The bike is about being in tune to everything around me, and my preference is to enjoy my surroundings and not be distracted with "noise".....
(Of course going across NE and Kansas (sorry Voni) I might be tempted:dance:dance)

That's the great thing about riding it's all about personal preference!!

Going down a tree lined backroad on a sunny day...no traffic anywhere...opening up to a lush green field with a farmhouse off in the distance.....I'm lost in the moment. It seems so peaceful...so perfect. Very different feeling to what I'm feeling while sitting in traffic. I love riding backroads where I can just "be"....no figuring out anything, no stressors.....no what's next. It's all about enjoying the moment. I had many of thoes feelings on my solo ride to TN.

Yeah!

Or that RAT-A-TAT-TAT strobe effect of the late afternoon sun streaming through the single line of trees at the road's edge....

Or the cool air in the hollows on a warm summer's day....

Or the smell of the ozone as the first rain drops evaporate on the hot asphalt...

Or the cows becoming black clots of shadow under the trees beyond the field's edge...

yeah.

Well, Voni sent me this thread today, and when I got the email and the title was "Women of the MOA", my mind went to " neat, a calendar, where's my credit card". Then I thought, maybe a new online dating service. To my surprise, it's a room that is long overdue. I have met many MOA women over the years, and I cherish them and their riding experiances. I'm happy to see a forum that you may tell your insights, and share your experiances. Good luck to you all...

Pete

Well, Voni sent me this thread today, and when I got the email and the title was "Women of the MOA", my mind went to " neat, a calendar, where's my credit card". Then I thought, maybe a new online dating service. To my surprise, it's a room that is long overdue. I have met many MOA women over the years, and I cherish them and their riding experiances. I'm happy to see a forum that you may tell your insights, and share your experiances. Good luck to you all...

Pete

Welcome and thanks for the good wishes, Pete!

See that didn't hurt at all did it? Your masculinity is all intact, right?

Keep the good attitude and don't be a stranger!

Welcome and thanks for the good wishes, Pete!

See that didn't hurt at all did it? Your masculinity is all intact, right?

Keep the good attitude and don't be a stranger!

LOL, thanks Helen, be well, and hope to see you at The Blitz in April... Now where did I put those black pumps....

knock, knock ... (your room, after all)

I Hope this will not be perceived as an intrusion (being that I am not a woman)
but I just couldn't help but to say how completely refreshing
to suddenly come upon a "motorcycle forum" among all the countless "motorcycle forums"

who's participants seem quite willing to sit back, relax, and simply share with their words and experiences
"the pure joy" that is both the essence and the best of any motorcycling experience !

Reading of a 'correct procedure to preload a wheel bearing' will be informative, sure,
but the simple knowledge of that will never be so telling

as one's expression of the passion:
"riding backroads where I can just "be"....no figuring out anything, no stressors.....no what's next."

or a sensual delight coaxed from the depths of memory:
"the smell of the ozone as the first rain drops evaporate on the hot asphalt"

Please don't lock the door !
Your room has every potential to be extraordinary !

I Hope this will not be perceived as an intrusion (being that I am not a woman)
but I just couldn't help but to say how completely refreshing
to suddenly come upon a "motorcycle forum" among all the countless "motorcycle forums"

who's participants seem quite willing to sit back, relax, and simply share with their words and experiences
"the pure joy" that is both the essence and the best of any motorcycling experience !

Reading of a 'correct procedure to preload a wheel bearing' will be informative, sure,
but the simple knowledge of that will never be so telling

as one's expression of the passion:
"riding backroads where I can just "be"....no figuring out anything, no stressors.....no what's next."

or a sensual delight coaxed from the depths of memory:
"the smell of the ozone as the first rain drops evaporate on the hot asphalt"

Please don't lock the door !
Your room has every potential to be extraordinary !

And a welcome to you too Vanzen... make your offerings to the gods of speed, but whenever you are ready to sit back and relax come join us... I hope this will be a very special place for all of us.

To all... forgive me for not welcoming the other women that have posted here... they didn't come in the front door... they live here so the thought never occurred to me.

The "key" to this room is acceptance, support... no muscle... except when needed to pick up a bike and even then we'll all pitch in.:)

I do listen to music when I ride. But not always. If I'm on a back twisty road or someplace where I feel I need some added focus, the ipod is off. If I'm on the highway or just putzing around, I'll listen to music and sing...loudly! :groovy I've been told by my hubby that singing is not permitted at stop signs because he thinks I'm trying to get his attention.

Other times, I like to just be alone with my thoughts, whatever they may be. I'll look for deer, hawks, eagles, admire beautiful farms and their livestock, smell the foliage, etc. It's the kind of a zen experience that I'm sure many of you can relate to.

Welcome Van and Pete! Thanks for testing the waters!

I do listen to music when I ride. But not always. If I'm on a back twisty road or someplace where I feel I need some added focus, the ipod is off. If I'm on the highway or just putzing around, I'll listen to music and sing...loudly! :groovy I've been told by my hubby that singing is not permitted at stop signs because he thinks I'm trying to get his attention.

Other times, I like to just be alone with my thoughts, whatever they may be. I'll look for deer, hawks, eagles, admire beautiful farms and their livestock, smell the foliage, etc. It's the kind of a zen experience that I'm sure many of you can relate to.

I have always found listening to music while riding distracting, but it's quite possible there could be some singing going on inside my helmet. :whistle

Well, some of us guys just canÔÇÖt leave you women to talk amongst yourselves. Go figure. Anyway, followed much of the thread about getting this forum started and IÔÇÖm glad it came to be.

I have always found listening to music while riding distracting, but it's quite possible there could be some singing going on inside my helmet. :whistle

I like listening to music while I ride. The right music at the right time keeps my mind from wondering to topics I shouldnÔÇÖt be thinking about while riding. So, I find that IÔÇÖm able to concentrate a bit better with music playing. However, itÔÇÖs illegal here in CA to have earphones in both ears.

I wanted to post earlier today but no other guy had done so and i was afraid to be te first. Now that a few other have tested the waters i just have to ask....

What is the likeyhood that the dino vs. Synth oil debate will ever happen here?

:jester

I wanted to post earlier today but no other guy had done so and i was afraid to be te first. Now that a few other have tested the waters i just have to ask....

What is the likeyhood that the dino vs. Synth oil debate will ever happen here?

:jester

Oh just keep watching... just keep watching...:evil

Congratulations Ladies! Glad to see that this came to be. :thumb

I will pass the location of your "room" on to my wife. She'll probably look through the window for a while to see what's going on, but I'm sure eventually she will join in to seek advise, share experiences, and find that her riding needs and goals don't always have to coincide with mine to be correct (she knows this, but there IS strength in numbers).

Your room is a great and much needed addition to the MOA house.

:dance:dance:dance

Congratulations Ladies! Glad to see that this came to be. :thumb

I will pass the location of your "room" on to my wife. She'll probably look through the window for a while to see what's going on, but I'm sure eventually she will join in to seek advise, share experiences, and find that her riding needs and goals don't always have to coincide with mine to be correct (she knows this, but there IS strength in numbers).

Your room is a great and much needed addition to the MOA house.

:dance:dance:dance
Super. Tell her to stop in for coffee!! She's always welcome, and you are too.

oil

...What is the likeyhood that the dino vs. Synth oil debate will ever happen here?

Actually, I am one to prefer sesame oil, especially when cooking in a wok ...
And a wok, by the way, is a simple, single, versatile, if not universally capable cooking tool
that packs quite easily on a bike and can double as a plate or a bowl.
When traveling and intending to 'cook out',
a wok can be the sum total of my cooking / eating kit ÔÇô
with a pair of chop-sticks, of course.
A good solution when traveling solo & packing light !

Back