• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800rt

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Is there any legitimate reason to believe BMW will launch an RT version of the F800 series in the forseeable future?

When the F800 series was launched a few years ago, the head of BMW motorcycle ops outlined the entire F800 range. The S & ST were out at that point, he said the GS & R versions were on their way.

There's never been any mention of an RT, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

No.

As has been pointed out it has never been discussed as prat of BMW's plans for the F800. Riders and the press have wondered but the company has not had it in their public plans to date.

Would an F800RT ad customers? BMW thinks not. For all the interest in one BMW's analysis is the model would largely cannibalize its existing RT line up customers far more than it would create new ones. May be a desirable ride but it does not look like a way to make a living.

BMW has provided the platform in the F800 leaving the building of "RT" models to riders and the aftermarket.

Triumph scrambler

How do you like the scrambler?
I must confess I really like the new Triumphs and the new ones are fuel injected.
However If I could add a third to the stable the F650 for single touring is really tempting. So many times I pass a dirt road and wish I was able to see where it goes. I don't think anyone else makes a road bike that would be dirt road worthy in it's price and size range.

No.

As has been pointed out it has never been discussed as prat of BMW's plans for the F800. ....snip....

BMW has provided the platform in the F800 leaving the building of "RT" models to riders and the aftermarket.
I have almost finished building my version of an F800RT. Last week I picked up a brand new 2007 F800S in Flame Red. Those here who know me know that I like to ride in a sport bike position with low bars. I have always had BMW RS models that I have equiped with all the luggage of an RT. My last ride was traded for the S and was a 2001 R1100RSA that had all the luggage including the RT top case. Here is what I have added to the stock 2007 F800S:

1. BMW center stand
2. BMW ST rear fender (on order for next week install)

These are both already on the ST but need to be added to the S.

3. HID headlites, BOTH high and low beam. (no driving lites needed)
4. C-Bailey's headlite protector
5. ThrottleMeister
6. V-Tech tall windscreen
7. BMW engine spoiler, chin fairing (Not needed on ST but will protect the oil filter from stones)(to be installed tomorrow AM)
8. Front Fenda Extender
9. Engine Framesliders
10. Givi racks, V35 side cases, bag liners, 30 liter top case
11. Ilium fat foot (should arrive today)
12. Valentine One radar detector in Legal Speeding box on RAM mount transfered from the old R1100RS
13. Garmin 60CX GPS on Ram mount also transfered from old bike

Do all this and I get a good touring bike with the bars where I want them. No, BMW would never build this bike. It seems I am one of the few people on earth that want low bars on an RT type bike. I have to build my own. By the middle of next week, all the parts should be here and installed. Then I'll post some pictures.

If you are at the open house in St. Louis this weekend, the bike will be there, but without the rear fender and maybe the fat foot. 600 mile service was yesterday and I am now at 790 and counting.:dance

tb

I have almost finished building my version of an F800RT. Last week I picked up a brand new 2007 F800S in Flame Red. Those here who know me know that I like to ride in a sport bike position with low bars. I have always had BMW RS models that I have equipped with all the luggage of an RT. My last ride was traded for the S and was a 2001 R1100RSA that had all the luggage including the RT top case. Here is what I have added to the stock 2007 F800S:

1. BMW center stand
2. BMW ST rear fender (on order for next week install)

These are both already on the ST but need to be added to the S.

3. HID headlites, BOTH high and low beam. (no driving lites needed)
4. C-Bailey's headlite protector
5. ThrottleMeister
6. V-Tech tall windscreen
7. BMW engine spoiler, chin fairing (Not needed on ST but will protect the oil filter from stones)(to be installed tomorrow AM)
Will this affect engine cooling? Curiously I was chatting about this last weekend at the Dells.
8. Front Fenda Extender
9. Engine Framesliders
10. Givi racks, V35 side cases, bag liners, 30 liter top case
11. Ilium fat foot (should arrive today)
You don't like the "needle" sidestand? I really need to get one of these myself before . . . .
12. Valentine One radar detector in Legal Speeding box on RAM mount transferred from the old R1100RS
13. Garmin 60CX GPS on Ram mount also transferred from old bike

Do all this and I get a good touring bike with the bars where I want them. No, BMW would never build this bike. It seems I am one of the few people on earth that want low bars on an RT type bike. I have to build my own. By the middle of next week, all the parts should be here and installed. Then I'll post some pictures.

If you are at the open house in St. Louis this weekend, the bike will be there, but without the rear fender and maybe the fat foot. 600 mile service was yesterday and I am now at 790 and counting.:dance

tb

Thanks for the report Tom. Some great mod ideas here but as someone once said "this post is worthless without pictures!" :ha :stick

Last edited:
I must confess I really like the new Triumphs and the new ones are fuel injected.

When the Scrambler came out I went nuts for it but didn't buy one because the specs on paper aren't very impressive. It is way better in person than the spec sheet would indicate. Two years later I found a NOS '06 and haven't regretted it for a moment. Hate to say it, as much as I like the F800 if I could keep only one bike it would be the Scrambler.

Like it so much I just did a 6500 km trip around the Trans-Labrador highway on it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500979

However If I could add a third to the stable the F650 for single touring is really tempting. So many times I pass a dirt road and wish I was able to see where it goes. I don't think anyone else makes a road bike that would be dirt road worthy in it's price and size range.

I had an 09 Bonneville SE as a loaner bike for three days this week. The build quality is very good. The engine is really smooth. If I had unlimited bike storage and an extra $8K, I would have Triumph right now. The scrambler might be in that dream garage too.

I too am an advocate for a F800RT....but I like the more upright and not so folded up ergonomics of a sport bike...so I like the ero of the F650GS. I also like the 19 inch front wheel and fork angles. Better for rough and dirt roads.

Put the rear suspension and belt drive of the ST on the F650GS. Ad a areodynamicly designed BWM fairing to address rain and wind, put on lower exhaust pipe and mount hard bags low in the rear for good CG and lower bag/seat height like the ole R80RT/R100RT or K75.

perfect

Check out the letter on p10 of the December ON.

Done.

He won't buy a vertical twin BMW, but he'll buy a V twin Honda....a "new 700 V twin" that has been in Europe for 12 years. Help me with the math. And he must have forgotten to compare the seat height and C of G. How did he overlook the Burgman? It wouldn't surprise me if there is more to the story.

I did have to pay for the low suspension option, and then the only change I needed to make to my F800ST was a different windscreen. The low seat was a no cost option. (Everything I did after that was because I wanted to.)

I'm a Honda guy (S2000 and Accord V6 with MT), but their motorcycle seats are just too high.

That said, it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

The subject comes up again on p.10 of the Feb ON. Is it safe to conclude that ergonomics was the reason the author chose the F650GS over the F800ST?

The subject comes up again on p.10 of the Feb ON. Is it safe to conclude that ergonomics was the reason the author chose the F650GS over the F800ST?

I had planned on buying an F800ST. Then I rode one. Horrible ergonomics for me. If i was in my 20's my knees "might" have been able to handle being that bent. But I'm not, and they don't.

Then I rode the F650GS twin. Much more comfortable. Well, after you throw away the stock seat that is.

Thanks for verifying that Tom. I sat on a friend's GS and the upper torso ergos were very friendly, too.

Ride safe!
Dave

Back