• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big Island Hawaii vacation bike rental

M

missmuddy

I'm going to Hawaii at the end of December. We will be on the big island for most of the trip.
Can anyone recommend a bike rental outfit? I found a Harley rental place on the big island online but I would rather not rent a Harley.
Maybe someone has a beater second bike they want to rent me for a few days?

There is one HD dealership with 2 locations on the Big Island. One in Hilo and one in Kona if I remember correctly.

Heidi and I participated in an event a few years ago with a number of other riders and we all rented HD from the Kona location. Very nice people to do business with.

HD is not my bike of choice, but was the only choice available.

bob

I'm going to Hawaii at the end of December. We will be on the big island for most of the trip.
Can anyone recommend a bike rental outfit? I found a Harley rental place on the big island online but I would rather not rent a Harley.
Maybe someone has a beater second bike they want to rent me for a few days?

Sorry to be late about this...

There are several dealers who rent HD's and Honda Shadow's. On Maui, we did a Shadow around the north end of the island... Ask for another bike if HD won't fit the bill.

ONE POINT! Always always always do a complete walk around and take pictures before you ride off into the sunset. Then check for the level of fuel in the tank. I got out on the road and in thirty miles I was on reserve. Not fun finding out that the gas station you need is twenty miles behind you...

Thanks for the advice!

Paul and I will be in Hilo the end of January on our way home from New Zealand. I have a cousin who lives there and we're really looking forward to visiting him and his wonderful wife.

AND to riding in our 50th state, so I'll keep an eye on this thread ; )

Voni
sMiling

Thanks a bunch. We will be Oahu for a week as well.

50th state! Wow! If i get to ride in Hawaii, it will be my 4th state :)

Does renting a scooter count?

If you are on Oahu

Big Kahuna Rentals has both HD's and when we were there in February of 08 had one R1150R. It had the most squared off tires I had ever seen. I rented a HD the next day. That gave me 50 states on HD's and I have started over with the hardest state on a BMW.

731121626_qkmor-XL.jpg

Thanks a bunch. We will be Oahu for a week as well.

50th state! Wow! If i get to ride in Hawaii, it will be my 4th state :)

Does renting a scooter count?
I certainly count it. Some years back I rented a scooter on Oahu and ran thru two tanks of gas, went all around the Island. :thumb:thumb
Watch the traffic, thou. Posted at 45, but everyone goes 55-60, except me on the scooter which topped out at 43 on the flat and much less on the uphills. Seriously dangerous on some of the roads as the cages zipped by me with inches to spare. If you plan on getting out of the urban mess of Honolulu, rent something bigger. It will be safer.

tb

What about gear?

For those that went what gear did you take and how did you get it on the airplane? Hand carry the helmets and put the jackets in the suitcase? We are going tin May and would like to get the 50th state as one of our first ones.

Gear

We took a big duffle and put the helmets in helmet bags and the jackets in. We rode in Draggin Jeans instead of the usual riding pants because of space.

I was there in November. Near the Harley dealer in Kona is a rental place that rents verious size scooters and some motorcycles, I rented a Kawasaki KLR650.

Ken G.

Back