• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why we ride

redclfco

I spent the better part of a month spending some time figuring out a question; solving a riddle of mine. Why do we ride?

I asked the same question awhile ago in a thread “Help me understand Hubert Kiegel”

And boy was that a stupid move; I feel like such a jack ass; I asked you people as a group for you to tell me why Hubert Kiegel rode; what made him do what he does. Silly me! Only Hubert can answer the question! As a group of riders, I am sure that we could collectively come up with a thousand reasons for riding, but only a few reasons, descriptive, famous quotes of others "why… What I was hunting was the “why” in why we enjoy it why we need it; why it takes priority over other things in our life, why we protect it, defend it and in some cases with our passion amend it or extend it. That’s really the question I so stupidly asking you guys...

I should have re-worded the question.

Now after talking to dozens of people over the last 30 days, all of these people I spoke with were asked the same question of why we really ride. And the grand conclusion is why we ride all have a center theme, but varies in the base note of our reality and passion, and the high wispy dreams of our melody.

What I got back in the Hubert thread were, as posts were many replies as to whom he was, replies answering the question in a manner made famous by mountaineers; “we climb it therefore it is” . Some of the forum members were questioning me as the asker of the question, inferring I was asking questions that needed no answer. Others thought I was putting Hubert down, and for that I apologize, for that was not my intention.

And for you? If you feel that way and really don’t care to figure out why and a pat phrase is good enough, then good job and good for you. Thank all of you all for responding and responses, because the whole idea about Hubert was really a question of much broader horizons, but you guys already knew that, right?

By asking of Hubert, what I was really asking, What I was asking the group was “why do you ride?

My group of random survey

All I got from all the bikers, The Beemer Fellas, the Wing riders the HD fellas the little squid losers, my kid and his motocross buddies, the old guy in the pool hall who says he used to ride an Indian Chief back and forth from New York to Baltimore, all I got was this; They all rode from a much deeper thought than I ride to ride.

None of these guys let it be when asked to really figure out why they rode. When asking in person, then on the forum, I got a very big response, and desire to talk about it.

You can guess which one said what during the opening line:

“I rode cause I was broke; flat busted, and that’s how I got back to New York to see my family.”

“I ride to chase any chicken sh*t German biker boy out of my way”

“I’m retired; I don’t work anymore, and have nothing better to do”

I ride to: “Impress the bitches”

I ride to “Show my buddies that they are so gay”

Those comments, and many others, but all told me that they rode for many reasons, as with my self are very different then other as to why they ride. this group Ride for joy, they rode for exhilaration, they rode to escape, they rode to leave behind, step out the back jack, they rode as a sport, and to compete, and cheer on their heroes who compete; they rode to be naughty, and to live the James Dean thing. They rode for status and show off prowess.

Why I ride

I for one run from my so called life every so often, run as hard as she will go, driving up the gears, and pausing for a split of second to unleash those extra horsepower that seems to store just behind forth gear home plate; the traction builds momentum in the drive just below the red line, and BANG into 5th. I just escaped what ever was behind me, and loved every frikken second of it. I would do it over and over if the world would let me.

I ride for joy, and if the people in cages that I pass by could only see the face behind the helmet, me riding out in the middle of God knows no where interstate blacktop laughing my ass off over something in my day. I saw a flock of hummingbirds at twilight heading to Wisconsin Friday night. I went right under it as it t cut across the freeway...

I ride to find companionship or you could say I ride not to be lonely if you wanted to be morose about it.

I ride for art, for creation, to visit my world, and the world of others to better soak up what someone different than me can offer. In this aspect, motorcycle riding has never let me down.

I ride to make the mind/machine/landscape blend and mixed thing going down there ; I ride for the Zen, the karma the Siddhartha of the whole deal every time I get out and ride.

I ride for the satisfaction that I just took apart the whole thing, the whole bike and put it back together again. Man, satisfaction in doing that affecting a solid repair rivals any form of pure pleasure

I ride for transportation, the most basic and true. Every day, as often as five days a week no less than three for the better part of the year.

I ride to play the "Bo Derrick riding down the slab game"; this game involves rating women cage drivers, since you’re so high up in a GS you can see right down in the car….

Oh never mind…

That’s sort of why I ride…

Do you ride, as I once did when 10 years old, and in a manner as I will still ride now; riding a very fast horse bareback and hanging on with bare feet. I rode across mountain meadows with nothing but handful of mane to calm the fears.…I still try to achieve this feeling while motorcycling…I don’t really know, not do I care where I’m going, other than the 3 miles in front of me are curvy and bank up into the distance, and the 10 miles beyond that that have no fences, no way to catch me or slow me down..

Or do you ride in a measured experiment, a lineal exploration into the geography, a route well planned, and well researched. The mechanical intertwines with the rolling beauty and allows perfection of experience, the bike and the machine, and the landscape of motion rolling before you as you go. The unexpected takes place with the people you meet, and the interchanges with the place around you. The whole experience is what makes it for you. You anticipate and analyze the corners before you ever begin to go

Why do you ride? Follow-up question and I know you got an answer if you just cowboy up, let it out partner! Tell us what kind of rider you would be in this world if there was nothing in the world to do but ride…

Sort of like asking? Hubert Kiegel. If he ever gets back with me, I will let you know what he says, too. Does anybody out there want to let us know?

Why We Ride?

Red

ps in effort to keep everything I write nicer, I'm so sorry if you don't understand it, and let me know if you need help; or not.

Last edited:
Man, that's pretty deep Red.
I think you saw this weekend why I ride.

When I put the spurs to the F, I am free.
It's that freedom, the wind and the experience of hangin' it out on the edge and haulin' it back in again. Chasin' that demon. (Sorry Tom)

There's nothing like it that I have ever experienced doing anything else.
I'm not doing it to show anyone up or put anyone down. This is for me.

Some people's vocation and avocations are hard to separate. That's cool. Not me.
When it comes to work, I have a philosophy: I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do.

Anyroad, I hope that answers your question as to why I ride.

i ride because i'm a highly social person that needs my alone time

I ride to work on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see the world the way I want...

Be at one with the one....

can I say that?

I ride for the adventure.

In one of his ride reports, Josh, defined adventure as "going without the assurance of returning" or something like that. In the abstract, that could apply to going to the bathroom, but when riding, it is reality.

Life is full of uncertainty; eat your dessert first!

Tom

At the age of thirteen I fell in love with motorbikes. Still love 'em and love to ride 'em. Sometimes it can be sheer joy to ride down the road. Puts a smile on my face everytime. It makes me feel good.

I ride to enjoy the scenery.

There are sights and sounds that get lost in a cage. Riding opens my eyes and gives me a greater awareness and appreciation of things around me and helps clear my head.

Riding takes away tension/frustration/irritability.

And, I ride because I am female and don't like to be told I can't.... :thumb

Last edited:
And just what is that supposed to mean, huh? :fight

:nyah

Are you lookin' to get beat up by a girl? Wait, maybe you are....I'm getting to know you. :laugh

Actually, it's more that I love the reaction that I get when I tell people I ride or they see the helmet come off. It's the "wow" factor. It's pretty empowering. That's another reason I ride.

I ride to enjoy the scenery.

There are sights and sounds that get lost in a cage. Riding opens my eyes and gives me a greater awareness and appreciation of things around me and helps clear my head.

Riding takes away tension/frustration/irritability.

And, I ride because I am female and don't like to be told I can't.... :thumb

Actually, it's more that I love the reaction that I get when I tell people I ride or they see the helmet come off. It's the "wow" factor. It's pretty empowering. That's another reason I ride.

It's a legal high!

You said a mouthful, Bex. That just about covers it all.

At different times for different reasons.

I ride for recreation. :wave It is just pure fun to twist a twistie, or explorer a back road. It is pure fun to go places you have never been. And it is fun to hit a few dirt roads and listen to the wife wisper in my ear. I DO NOT LIKE DIRT. It is fun to wave at people young and old that give you that "I wish I were you look". It is fun to be just a little naughty and do things that are "at the edge".

I ride for relaxation. :groovy For me riding a bike allows me to put my worries on the shelf. As I ride down the road or trail I get to see things I would miss in a cage. I smell the cattle farm miles before I get there and the honeysuckle in early summer. I love the smell of the air after a summer shower. I hear the birds even if I do not see them. And because I ride a quite bike I see things before they see me. When I am on the bike I just feel good, even in the rain.

I ride because it makes me feel free :wow While this may sould strange I feel somewhat like a bird. If it is hot I am hot. If it is cold and wet so am I. I can feel the breeze. I also know that If I am not careful I can be the bug on the windshield.

I do not ride because I have to ::banghead I like doing things on my terms and when on my bike I feel like I am in control.

BUT I really like to ride because I get to share it with my wife. :kiss while riding alone can be fun, that gets old fast. The real fun and pleasure comes when sharing it with someone you love!!!!!!

I RIDE BECAUSE IT IS FUN and BECAUSE I CAN :dance :dance :dance

Last edited:
I ride because it not the easy way to get from point A to point B. Its challenging and thus rewarding to travel across town, across the mountains or across the country on a motorcycle. In this modern day, anyone can drive a car from home to a distant location easily and in complete comfort. Doing the same trip on a motorcycle presents a more challenging trip. Overcoming those challenges gives a much greater sense of accomplishment. It becomes about more than just arriving at the destination, it's about the experience along the way. Driving a car is a task, riding a motorcycle is an adventure.

This Saturday, I rode like crazy because there was a scary GS and F800 behind me.
:ha

I ride because it does all kinds of good things for me, and I feel a sense of accomplishment from wrenching on my bikes and riding far.

An old poster:

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, get married.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, buy a BMW.

I have managed to get more mileage out of 2 and 3 but YMMV.

So many great commnets - I share many of the same

I ride for the freedom

I ride for the rush of a well tuned and powerful bike effortlessly pushing me forward

I ride for the man/machine interface

I ride for the joy of it

I ride

i ride because i'm a highly social person that needs my alone time
Good answer. It made me smile. But it also reminded me that I ride because I am a very private person and you can't get much more private than riding solo on a motorcycle. (I also do a lot of single-handed sailing.)

Lots of great comments.

I started riding as a kid for fun.

Now, it helps me relax. I don't have to think about work and dead-lines, etc. I get out on the road, turn off the GPS, and see if I can get lost on some country road.

When it gets late in the day, I turn the GPS back on........

I either ride to relax...

or I ride to get stimulation...

it's all up to my right hand.

Either way, nothing clears my mind better than an hour in the saddle.

So many great commnets - I share many of the same

I ride for the freedom

I ride for the rush of a well tuned and powerful bike effortlessly pushing me forward

I ride for the man/machine interface

I ride for the joy of it

I ride

I like this post, it's almost as good as mine! :blush

Back