• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Europe trip on my bike

M

mbryce52

I have decided to brave the world of European roads on my R1150rt next spring, but I'm having trouble finding the means to ship my bike. I want to visit southern France, northern Spain and Italy (and maybe southern Germany as well, time permitting) so am looking for ports / airports that I can use to ship my bike from CA.

Any help, information from your experiences, guidance will be appreciated.

Talk to Stefan Knopf. But I can tell you right now, it won't be cheap. I imported my 1928 R52 from Germany and Stefan arranged the flight from Frankfurt to SFO. It went without a hitch... but it cost $1700.

To do it cheaper, you could ride or transport your bike to Bike Week in Daytona and turn it over to Stefan there. Every year he brings over a load of German Harleys so their owners can fly out for two weeks of respite from winter. The bikes get back to Heidelberg, where Stefan is located, in April. Still, your choices on return are pretty limited; fly or wait until next March to pick it up in Daytona.

input

thanks for the info. i know it is expensive to fly the bike - but the bigger problem is that i haven't found a way do to it from CA - only from Canada. Ocean shipment is cheaper, but not reliable as far as time of delivery.

thanks for the info. i know it is expensive to fly the bike - but the bigger problem is that i haven't found a way do to it from CA - only from Canada. Ocean shipment is cheaper, but not reliable as far as time of delivery.

As I said, contact Knopf. He can arrange to ship or fly your bike. His english is excellent, and he's a good guy to work with.

I should have noticed this sooner. Moved this thread to Motorrad (could have gone to Ride Reports, I suppose).

Back