• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gaining Confidence in Wrenching

After six months of trying to solve an intermittent brake failure problem I replaced the front ABS sensor on my 04 1150 Gs myself and solved the problem. Dealer computer could not figure it out so I feel pretty good. Add that to fixing my own flat on my 1970 r60/5, replacing a broken turn signal on the Gs changing all the fluids on both and the tires and brakes makes me feel pretty good about my wrenching abilities. These bikes are not that hard to work on once you get into it and take your time. Other than a few stripped bolts and a few bruised knuckles I got it done. Can't imagine how much money I saved over dealer service.

Brett Endress
Altoona PA

Welcome to the club!:wave I couldnt imagine letting anyone work on my vehicles when I can do it myself. I never worry about it because I have seen the experts screw things up just as much as I have!

Congrats. I have found that most things are not that complicated to do yourself, but I'm exceptionally handy I admit.

I learn by doing. If you get into it, you learn and your skills improve with each project. Even if you can't fix it, you can always punt and take it to a pro.

The best way I find to learn this stuff is:

1) Books (internet, etc.)--You can read about almost any job long before you do it.
2) A skilled buddy--very nice to have! (Even if an internet buddy).
3) Determination--Don't give up too soon
4) Time--If you need it fixed fast, the time pressure can turn a fun project to a chore.

when I first got my RT, I didn't think I could work on it because of all the plastic. now I can have all the plastic removed in less than 5 minutes. all it took was practice, and an cordless drill w/ 3mm & 4mm bits. :thumb

Back