• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How many defunct BMW dealerships have you dealt with??

We are lucky in the Vancouver, B.C. area to have two dealerships John Valk and Pacific BMW and another dealership on Vancouver Island, Island BMW, if you live over on the Island or just want to compare prices for bikes. Personally, I live on the mainland but purchased both my wife's bike and my own on the Island as they were great to deal with.

I wonder why there's such a problem retaining dealerships? You can go to any major city and find a BMW auto dealership so why doesn't BMW amalgamate their cars and motorrad sales and services?

I lived in southern Ontario and one of the major BMW dealerships, Budd's BMW, sold both. It only makes sense to me to have them in the same shop so I can take the car and the bike in and get the same great service.

cbcK1200S - Colin
:bikes

why doesn't BMW amalgamate their cars and motorrad sales and services?

Bikes and cars are very different animals. It might work in some cases, but in examples I've seen the bikes take a back seat, more like bling for the car showroom. Personally, I'd never buy a new Bimmer. Like the old joke goes, how do you tell a BMW car from a porcupine?

ans: With the porcupine, the pricks are on the outside

Last edited:
I wonder why there's such a problem retaining dealerships? You can go to any major city and find a BMW auto dealership so why doesn't BMW amalgamate their cars and motorrad sales and services?

cbcK1200S - Colin
:bikes

Do they have a problem retaining dealerships?

Yes I do think they are part of the problem yet there is a key point we keep missing. Many of the dealerships we lament the loss of were 'keyman' operations. They were the result of the passion of one man and kept alive by one man. When that person goes away, for what ever reason, they all to often can not be replaced with in that dealership and it closes.

Bikes and cars are very different animals.

Baloney.

BOTH dealers in NM are associated with BMW car stores and NM riders are ecstatic as service is fabulous--especially compared to the 2nd-oldest-BMW-dealer-in-USA (dunces) that they replaced.

The floor space is separated for sure, but there are certainly bikes sitting in the car showrooms.

I think the separate showrooms at same location thing is a good idea, but otherwise I think it works just fine. Minis have separate showrooms, too.

ans: With the porcupine, the pricks are on the outside

One suspects the guys willing to drop $20K for a new BMW bike aren't afraid of associating with rich people. In fact, that's the market for BMW bikes, as apparently lots of not-so-savvy bike dealers have recently discovered. Again, car dealers are perfect for BMW bikes.

I travel for a livin all over the country, so I visit a lot of BMW dealerships to take up time between work. My view is from that perpective and not being a local rider dependent on them. Really enjoy being in a unique dealership and getting the chance to nose around. I've met some of the nicest people at dealerships where I spent the least amount of time. As a rule the car/motorcycle dealerships seem a little sterile. That being said they may be doing a good job of taking care of their customers and service area. I know that when I'm in an area(city) that seems large enough to support a dealership and there is no dealership, I feel cheated, somehow. I've been in a few dealers over the last few years that I enjoyed being in and at the same time predicted that they would fail. Some did, kinda sad.

BOTH dealers in NM are associated with BMW car stores

I've dealt with Sante Fe BMW, and they are really good news. IMHO they are the exact model the I would recommend BMW NA to look at.

Attachments

• santafe1.jpg
    santafe1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 153
I think both the dealers are owned by the same people. Been to both of them. Bought a ball cap at both, some how the Sante Fe BMW cap seems to allways draw a positive comment.

East Coast BMW in Wilmington NC went away last fall. Nice old time shop with savvy staff and a hangout for experienced local riders. Not much inventory, also sold Guzzi and Royal Enfield. They couldn't afford BMW costs.

Probably not an immediate sales loss of consequence to BMW but it means there is now no BMW dealer in the entire eastern part of NC so it does have long term sales consequences that aren't positive. Only someone who has already determined to buy a BMW is likely to drive the 130 miles to Raleigh to look at one. Yet Wilmington (100 K population) supports a major Harley dealership, 3 large metric bike shops, 4 or more Harely based custom shops, several custom painters and assorted other bike related businesses. Nothing BMW of any type AFAIK. Makes very clear to any potential buyer that they are stuck with their own or long distance service, too.
(No biggy to me becasue I have the skills and tools but not something most folks want to immediately contemplate on a new, expensive device with which they aren't even familiar)

BMW needs US based guerilla and grassroots marketing to ever develop much of a presence in the US as its geographic coverage continues to shrink. Euro-centric practices and staff will never be able to do that here. More affordable, more performance competitive, better reviewed bikes that are more attractive to younger riders are also important (like the new sportbike). Most of the smaller BMW bikes are decent and interesting but obviously lack appeal to the majority of younger US riders. Getting to the under 30 gang is critical for thr brand yet they still have virtually nothing to offer except one new sportbike that is at the price limit of what is feasible for much of that age demographic.

An analogy- Mercedes has plenty of dealerships in NC and the E car is the firm's focus in most of the world. However, dealerships sell a lot of C class here and they are seen more often than other types. The C projects the same Mercedes image at a lower price point. I don't think BMW bikes have any particular consumer image (unless its old school and expensive) - only an assortment of images based on various models. I'd suggest that complicates volume increases because a new image has to be established for each model type (eg the sportbike campaign is built around a racing image, not a brand image). Honda brand projects quality, reliability and good performance for price to most, for example, whether its cars or bikes (notice how many young folks want a Honda car. for example?) BMW cars do nothing to help bikes - they've acquired negative reactions from many based on snotty dealerships and poor parts availability for major parts. Haven't met the guys in Santa Fe but it sounds like they've made their own successful, but local only, image that helps the BMW brand locally.

I think that unless BMW changes

their philosophy towards their motorcycle marketing, that it is inevitable that the bike division will eventually die. :bolt

It is getting harder and harder to get your bike serviced by a dealer that is nearby. Most of the dealers that remain are of the mego-moto variety, because that is what BMW wants, and that is the only way that they can make enough $$$ to stay in business. :dunno

Frankly, if i had to ride/drive/trailer my bike 150+ miles everytime i needed service (and unfortunately, i am not the most gifted with a wrench in my hand) that i would switch marks.

just my two cents worth......

Most of the dealers that remain are of the mego-moto variety, because that is what BMW wants, and that is the only way that they can make enough $$$ to stay in business. :dunno

if by "mego-moto" you mean multi-brand, that is exactly the opposite of what BMW Corporate has been pushing for from their dealers. They have oft times demanded that a dealership remain "BMW only"- which is one of the reasons that many smaller shops have closed their doors. some of the more successful dealerships have been able to convince BMW of their intent to remain/become a multi-branded store (Cliff's in Danbury, Foothills in Denver, etc.)

Rees Motors in Shelbyville TN. A neat old hole-in-the-wall operation. Clyde Rees was a cool old cat. His son David was the service manager, and I think he (David) died in a house fire in later years. I bought my '88 R100RS new from Clyde in 1990. It later rolled off the center stand in the parking lot the morning I was there for my 600 mile service a week after I bought it. No more sickening sound in the world than the sound of something falling over in the parking lot when you know yours is the only thing sitting out there...

Theres a BMW combined Car/Motorcycle dealer in NJ that I used to pass all the time but I never stopped in because they never had any bikes in the showroom.

If I can't see any bikes, AFAIC, they're not a bike dealer, so I did all my business with AMOL. Unfortunately, AMOL went under, rather than deal with BMWNA's "expanded BMW only floor plan" edict.

Jersey lost a good dealer and race shop that time!

All,

Let's get past old vs. new and consider those lost/defunct dealerships that we may have frequented. I'll start with my list;

1) Sholly's BMW in Harrisburg, PA - I purchased a R80ST and a set of BMW leathers from them. The set of leathers was later sold to Dennis Gage who has/had a cable TV show called "My Classic Car".

2) Frank's BMW in Mountville, PA - I purchased a 1986 K75c from them in the Spring of 1986 and I think the BMW dealership was closed by that fall.

3) Country BMW in Mountoursville, PA - They did the 600 mile service on the K75c, then dropped the dealership before my 5000 mile service.

4) A shop in Windber, PA whose name I can no longer remember. They were very reasonable and did many services on my K75c. As I recall, the dealership died in the mid 90's.

5-6) San Jose BMW and Competition Accesories (which was a BMW dealership) in Xenia, OH - I did lots of mail order businees with those folks.

7) Heritage BMW in McKeesport, PA became my service shop after the demise of the Windber dealership. It appears that they have followed the lead of the shop in Windber and passed into dealership heaven.

That's seven defunct dealerships that I've dealt with in the past 24 yrs. If I would include the local shops that dropped BMW during the transition from Butler & Smith to BMW NA, the number would ~10. Of course, the B&S days were prior to my ownership of any BMW products.

Your turn.

Do me a favor--stay away from Velocity in Mechanicsburg. You seem to be the kiss of death, and I need them to remain in business.

I can't remember all the names, but here's some locations where they've come and gone...and some times more than once. No doubt, Honda dealers stay put a lot longer.

Hammersly - Lynchburg, Va.
Cyclewerks in Indianapolis
BMW Motorcycles of Indianapolis
Revard BMW Motorcycles, Indianapolis
Springfield, Illinois
Tri-State, Cincinnati, Ohio
Ehlerding's BMW Fort Wayne, Indiana
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Lew Fox - Napperville, Illinois
Crossroads, Elkhart, Indiana
Marrieta, GA
South Chicago Heights, Illinois
Dayton, Ohio
Competition Accessories, Springfield, Illinois
Tag - Geneva, Illinois
Woodson - Fort Wayne, Indiana
Rockford, Illinois
Peoria, Illinois
Rock Island, Illinois
Fremont, Ohio
Saint Louis, Mo.
Savoy, Illinois
Louisville, Ky
South Bend, Indiana
Laurel - Downers Grove
Dover, Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio

There's a lot more...I dare say, in the last 30 years I'd bet there have been as many come and go, as there are currently standing now. Get in there with high hopes and a bunch of required capitol, just to see it drain away in 5 to 8 years. Not a good investment for oh so many.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, it's interesting to hear that BMW forced dealers out. I think the greater reason was technology and old age. It's no longer a time when a dealer can operate a BMW shop, sell and service the present models with a set of Craftsman tools. This is a different time, a different century, and an investment of more than an unused garage in a small town and good intentions.
I don't endorse this turn of events, and I miss the feeling of the old days and my bullet proof (heh) '78 Motorsport R100RS...

I think the concept of BMW "Forcing" Dealers out is funny every time I hear it. Unfortunately not every great wrench / rider / dealer is not as good a business man as they are a motorcyclist or they get caught by events.

BMW Marin is a perfect example. Great guy, great shop but due to just plain bad luck he's gone.

Now if you want to argue that BMW forces dealers out for not toeing the corporate line I invite you to visit AJ's out in Western MA.

Hey Rob

It's been a long standing rumor that they only reason BMW NA doesn't close AJ's is because of some MA law...

but you are right... AJ's is a unique shop! :thumb

I think the concept of BMW "Forcing" Dealers out is funny every time I hear it. Unfortunately not every great wrench / rider / dealer is not as good a business man as they are a motorcyclist or they get caught by events.

BMW Marin is a perfect example. Great guy, great shop but due to just plain bad luck he's gone.

Now if you want to argue that BMW forces dealers out for not toeing the corporate line I invite you to visit AJ's out in Western MA.

Back