Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How many defunct BMW dealerships have you dealt with??

1. Kegel - Rockford IL
    2. Smitty's - Rock Island IL
    3. South Suburban - Chicago Heights IL
    4. Tag - Geneva IL
    5. Graboy - Peoria IL
    6. ? (I can't remember the name) - Springfield IL

I can't speak to the reasons or rumors of why they are no longer, but it is a shame.
    Russ
    11 R1200GS
    06 K1200s

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    And Laurel in Westmont, Il (pre Tag)

I think the dealership sold (cars) and the new owner did not want the bikes.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Legdewood BMW - Rt. 46 - NJ
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Peter_Krynicki
    Stan's Cycle Shop in Doylestown, Pa. You'd never have stumbled into this place on your own but they did great work. (Was it Old Trenton Road?) Stan was a nice guy. I had my R69s serviced here and bought an r100cs from him. His wife did all of the paperwork. Once one of the mechanics said I needed tires but I couldn't afford them as I was in grad school. "Send me a check when you can." and he put 'em on.

CycleSmith BMW (owned by Bill Smith, hence the name) originally in a small shop on rte 130 N outside of Dayton, NJ. He later moved to Hamilton Square and a bunch of us helped him to set up the shop. He bought pizzas and we sanded then shellacked the floor one Sat afternoon. I used to go over there on Saturdays and mind the counter while he made a pick-up or delivery. Bought two R100RS's from him; one last edition, and then a K100RS.

RK BMW in south Jersey. Some of the guys from there are now at DeSimones. Bought my R1100S from them. IIRC they were not in business for long.

Bob
    A different twist:

This thread starts with someone counting five local dealers lost; and he still has options.

We have one dealer in the entire state; and it's changed hands a few times.

With the last move upscale; service went downhill.

It's hard to relate.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    A different twist:

This thread starts with someone counting five local dealers lost; and he still has options.

We have one dealer in the entire state; and it's changed hands a few times.

With the last move upscale; service went downhill.

It's hard to relate.
    No argument from me. One dealer in a large western state is a stupid business plan.

i suspect the ratio of "dealers to state" is done on a per capita basis, not a per square mile basis.
    not saying its the best way to go, but from an earnings standpoint (and the business does have to make its $ to remain a business), it makes more sense.
    CT pop = approx 3.5 million (2 dealers). Montana pop = < 1 million (1? dealer). CO (current residency) = 5 million (5 dealers).
    that kinda sounds like 1 dealer per million population, give or take.
    Maybe if ya'll would like to get more dealers in MT, some of ya'll had better get busy doing something besides riding bikes, horses or sheep.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

AMOL Motorcycles, Dumont, NJ
    Westchester BMW, NY
    Garden State BMW, Ledgewood, NJ

I am all for 1 per million but we seem to be going backward in Illinois. By the population we have 12.9 million people but are down from approx 9 to 3 dealers. I am equal distance between the one downstate IL dealer and one in MO.

No complaints with either of those two from me. I miss being able to stop in the different dealers while in those towns on business.
    Russ
    11 R1200GS
    06 K1200s

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    i suspect the ratio of "dealers to state" is done on a per capita basis, not a per square mile basis.
    not saying its the best way to go, but from an earnings standpoint (and the business does have to make its $ to remain a business), it makes more sense.
    CT pop = approx 3.5 million (2 dealers). Montana pop = < 1 million (1? dealer). CO (current residency) = 5 million (5 dealers).
    Maybe if ya'll would like to get more dealers in MT, some of ya'll had better get busy doing something besides riding bikes, horses or sheep.
    OK, I got your point and I'm pretty sure your 100% correct about BMW's distribution of dealers. However, when you live beyond the burbs, getting service can be a royal pain. In my experience, some dealers will tell you that they want the bike overnight to do a routine service (valve adjust and such). That's fine when they're across town, but a different story when they're 3-hrs away.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    We like room to ride.
    A decline in dealer service is easily fixed by switching to one of the brands that wants our business.

P Monk

Defunct Dealers

Orange county cycle, Orange Texas, bought my first BMW there, R75/6.
    BMW screwed them over and gave a franchise to the Harley dealer in Beaumont and the Orange store dropped them. Wonderful german couple owned the shop, also sold Suzuki. The Harley dealer didn't last either.

Old BMW dealer in Houston forgot name. Bought K75 there.
    Lyle Lovett BMW on 59 in Houston.
    BMW of North Houston. Built a boutique shop then opened another one in South Houston. Both went belly up. Don't know the details.

At least we still have Gulf Coast BMW-Triumph and Katy BMW-Honda-Kawa-Ktm-?
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

John D'oh
    PerryÔÇÖs Motorcycles and sidecars, originally BMW of FT Worth TX but no longer an authorized dealer...
    Doc's in Colorado Springs CO.
    High Plains BMW Lubbock TX (sad to see them go...outstanding bunch of people)
    LidnerÔÇÖs in CT.
    StormÔÇÖs in Grand Prarie TX (All that talent and enthusiasm gone).
    BMW of St. Louis helped me put my sidecar together
    Toad Motors...anyone remember them?
    I just looked in the Owners Anonymous book and Motorsport in Albuquerque is not listed any more! I am amazed...they sold a lot of BMW's over the years.

These were shops that promoted the sport and lifestyle of motorcycling, not just the brand and I for one miss them and the people that made them tic.
    John D'oh

Quote Originally Posted by s09rwmb View Post
    I just looked in the Owners Anonymous book and Motorsport in Albuquerque is not listed any more! I am amazed...they sold a lot of BMW's over the years.
    I live within walking distance of this place, when it sold the BMW franchise the 2nd longest continuous BMW dealer in the USA.

It has been replaced by the local BMW car dealer and I suspect 110% of all BMW riders in NM are ecstatic and less than 0% miss the old place.

The former was a combined dealership, and except for one in-the-background parts person, the average employment of parts and service people there must have been two months and the average age 19. You couldn't trust them to know how to do an oil change.

The car dealer is a true automotive enthusiast and has locations in both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Almost immediately after the Santa Fe location opened it became the biggest BMW motorcycle seller in the state. Service is fantastic. In ABQ, the dealer actually built a standalone building for the motorcycle operation prior to getting the franchise, i.e. on speculation and on what needed to happen.

Our local club just finished its 25th edition of its rally and the new dealer has been a great supporter. Think the previous guys came maybe once or twice only.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Peter_Krynicki
    In NJ there are two authorized dealers, Cross Counry in the north and DeSimone in the south so it's pretty convenient. And two open houses in a year. But whenever anyone asks me about buying a BMW (or a Duc) I make them aware that theywill not be able to just ride around the corner for service or parts or whatever. For some people this is a show-stopper. It's a shame.