• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How many defunct BMW dealerships have you dealt with??

The dealer in Windber, PA was MATCO'S RV Sales and service.

I think MATCO was the next to last dealer in Windber. The last dealer sold BMW, Honda and John Deere lawn care. To the best of my knowledge, the name was "Windber Motorsport". However, that could be really wrong.

The shop was nothing fancy, but you knew they were knowledgable and honest. A boutique motif doesn't deliver that.

There you go with misinformed stereotypes again.

Our combined car/motorcycles dealers surely would.

Hmmm.......It's a motorcycle. Except for a few weenies, most people don't think of it as a status symbol.

Now, if I could only convince those materialistic twits on the BMWCCA forum............

Whatever your choice, just go play with your toys and leave the "posing" to the teenagers.

Ah, but you "pose" as someone who knows something about business and marketing.

Biggest rationalization you'll ever see is someone that thinks motorcycle ownership is economical or green or something with no status.

Since I haven't bought a new motorcycle since buying my '84 RS in 12/'83 (and then the '84 G/S in '85) and since I never ride anywhere without my wife on her RT, I likely don't fit your fantasized profile. But, I do have lots of automotive industry knowledge and experience.

And, I've been a member of BMWCCA since the mid-'80s and you haven't a clue, but I know for sure that namecalling doesn't represent meaningful analysis.

Bottom line is that BMW is selling more motorcycles than ever before (current economic slump interfering for sure) and it's because they know what they're doing. They may lose a few along the way, but the goal is to gain more.

Ah, but you "pose" as someone who knows something about business and marketing.

Biggest rationalization you'll ever see is someone that thinks motorcycle ownership is economical or green or something with no status.

Since I haven't bought a new motorcycle since buying my '84 RS in 12/'83 (and then the '84 G/S in '85) and since I never ride anywhere without my wife on her RT, I likely don't fit your fantasized profile. But, I do have lots of automotive industry knowledge and experience.

And, I've been a member of BMWCCA since the mid-'80s and you haven't a clue, but I know for sure that namecalling doesn't represent meaningful analysis.

Bottom line is that BMW is selling more motorcycles than ever before (current economic slump interfering for sure) and it's because they know what they're doing. They may lose a few along the way, but the goal is to gain more.

I'm just a consumer, not an industry insider. I can only speak to what causes my wallet to magically open and spew forth dollars.

Me, too. I was sorry to see it close. When oilheads came in, perhaps Bill was overwhelmed.

One of Bill's employees tried to buy the shop so Bill could retire. BMWNA didn't approve the deal because they believed there was no way to make enough money there.

Mulally Cycles somewhere around Jeffersonville, NY. I was working in the area and stopped by; they had one R1200C wedged in between some garden tractors and so forth. John Deere and BMW Motorcycles; that was basically the deal. They might still be around but I doubt they were doing much for BMW.

World wide sales yes. US sales though have been pretty much flat for a few years IIRC. Maybe the lack of dealers etc. does have an effect on sales here.

World wide sales yes. US sales though have been pretty much flat for a few years IIRC. Maybe the lack of dealers etc. does have an effect on sales here.

Not to mention some new model introductions that were favorably received. They could indeed do better with a wider dealer network.

My local dealer (Countryrode) just started carrying BiMota (was already carrying Vespa). It seems BMWNA is a bit more flexible that they've been w/ floor space, signage, etc. for multi Brand. That's a good thing. Dealers need to be solvent.

An observation:

Montana has one BMW dealer... We have six KTM dealers; one of which happens to also be the only BMW dealer. I have to wonder, as KTM introduces more road-bike models, if their more accessible approach won't be more successful at attracting new customers than BMW's.

I mean, if I want to go see a KTM, I can go to the dealer right here in my town. Some of his customers may even have gone in there to see a Yamaha or Suzuki, and then bought an orange bike instead. I doubt many beemers have been sold like that.

Not to mention some new model introductions that were favorably received. They could indeed do better with a wider dealer network.

Very true but how far will folks drive to check out a new model? Time will tell I suppose. Sportbikes seem to be an urban thing so that could bode well as most BMW dealers seem to be in metropolitian areas. I would agree that multibrand is not a bad thing. I have no problem bike shopping at a multibrand motorcycle dealer but after having been in a few BMW car dealers I don't think I would enjoy a combination motorcycle / auto BMW dealer.

Very true but how far will folks drive to check out a new model? Time will tell I suppose. Sportbikes seem to be an urban thing so that could bode well as most BMW dealers seem to be in metropolitian areas. I would agree that multibrand is not a bad thing. I have no problem bike shopping at a multibrand motorcycle dealer but after having been in a few BMW car dealers I don't think I would enjoy a combination motorcycle / auto BMW dealer.

I can't recall if it was at Rhinebec,k NY or Missoula, MT, but BMWMOA invited Triumph and MotoGuzzi to offer test rides at the National Rally. That sense of independence from BMWNA, has always been an attraction to me. While BMW is a good brand, BMWMOA has typically placed the membership before the brand. In simple terms, the foundation of the BMWMOA seems to have been in people who spent a lot of time riding their bikes. As such, many members are more interested in keeping their "ride" on the road, as opposed to basking in the "BMW experience" (whatever that may be). In that light, more dealers, offering product that sells in their regions and service for all models, is attractive to many BMW riders and BMWMOA members.

Of cousre, that is just my humble opinion, even though I've taken the liberty to assume that I speak for many BMW riders and BMWMOA members. However, I'm sure that the ones that disagree with me will voice their opinions on the subject and, possibly, me.

... I don't think I would enjoy a combination motorcycle / auto BMW dealer.

Same here. It could work with appropriate staff and firewalls ... but a motorcyclist approaches (in general) bike buying differently than car buying. IMHO the sales process should be fundamentally different and I don't particularly care for car sales techniques. (admit to painting w/ a broad brush here but car sales people have the reputations they do for valid reasons). It may not be as bad at a high end brand such as BMW but I've seen it. It exists.

Whatever the BMW dealer that used to be on the Page Ave extension in St Louis was called. They might have been ok, but my only experience with them involved lots of waiting, terrible customer service, and the parts guy butchered my order and my name and address. No wonder they lasted what seemed like maybe a couple months. The new dealership on 170 is nice, and I've actually made friends with people there.

(Then, there's Bob Schultz (Harley/Honda/Yamaha dealer) in St Charles, MO. The owner of that place (ironically not the guy the place was named after) is the reason they had such a bad reputation. He was punched out and threatened by customers, sued by the big name motorcycle companies, and treated everyone terribly. He's gone now. Good riddance. They've renamed and are now one of the top dealers in the area, hosting events and expanding.)

Same here. It could work with appropriate staff and firewalls ... but a motorcyclist approaches (in general) bike buying differently than car buying. IMHO the sales process should be fundamentally different and I don't particularly care for car sales techniques. (admit to painting w/ a broad brush here but car sales people have the reputations they do for valid reasons). It may not be as bad at a high end brand such as BMW but I've seen it. It exists.
This is apparently common in Yurop.. I've been to the Park Lane BMW car/moto dealer in London, was impressed that (1) the moto had their own space almost equal to the bimmers (2) the moto had dedicated sales people who knew the product.

If that could be established in the US - it might work. BMW did try it in a few spots (Ottos in Philly was one, NYC BMW is another - company owned - combined dealership) with less than stellar success. I believe Ottos was the closest to successful - the Moto part was in it's own building. I have heard less than happy camper comments on the NYC setup.

Some basic differences in moto vs cars - motos are a passion, cars (even BMWs) are transportation for most people. At a motorcycle dealer, coming to the shop and hanging out is usually the norm - our Saturday lunch group is going to miss the welcome we received from DeSimone Motorsports, since we gathered in their showroom most Saturdays to decide where to go to lunch. If you tried hanging out at most BMW car dealers (they do have nice lounges with free coffee and WiFi now) chances are good the cops would be called - they don't understand the difference between passion and transportation.

Main Line BMW in Devon, PA closed a few years ago and now DeSimone Motorsports in Cherry Hill, NJ is closing on November 25. That leaves us Philly area riders without a "local" dealership. Rumor is that Montgomeryville Cycle Center will be adding BMW to their line of bikes.

I still don't understand why the automobile/motorcycle combination won't work or is not embraced by BMW. It just seems their should be some built in synergies and cost efficiencies.

I agree there are all sorts of potential synergies and cost savings that could be realized in an auto/motorcycle dealership. There are some that exist and do work but they are rare. For all the potentials the big problems are along the lines Don points out back in post #77.

BMW is not totally against it but based on its own experience they are very skeptical it seems. In the late 90ÔÇÖs BMW introduced the C1 in Europe and made the decision to sell it through its auto dealer network for a variety of reasons.

They spent a great deal of effort and money in training and planning only to have unhappy dealers and customers. The auto dealer sales staff and service departments were mystified by the needs and demands of their two wheeled customers and the difference between them and their four wheeled customers. This was consistent across dealers no matter if their ranking previously with auto sales and service was good or bad. Customer research returned a very high favorability rating with customers that had purchased a C1 with the vehicle itself while these same customers had horrible things to say about dealers and the dealer network.

BMWÔÇÖs analysis that lead to stopping the C1 production gave a variety of reasons while coming to the conclusion that for all the potential synergies and potential savings placing the C1 for sale in their auto dealer network had been a mistake.

Back