• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to fix stripped threads ?

J

jackyd

When installing valve cover guard on my 1995 R1100R I mangeged to strip a few threads in valve cover. I realized problem after one full turn of screw. I extracted screw easily but now the screw will not enter hole.
Is the solution as easy as finding a tap that will match screw? Is there a special tool to help?
Any guidance will be appreciated.

Jack

A thread chaser would be a better tool to use in this situation, then a tap. How deep is the hole before you get to the threads?

You may what to run a die up the bolt threads as well.

Always hand start bolts in aluminum, get a hand driver for you socket. Oil the threads unless they call for thread locker.

Length of screw that fits into valve cover is 3/4 inch long. The threads that are stripped are only 1/16 inch deep. If I can get pass this first 1/16, then all is well.

Once I even have an inkling that I have boogered threads, I stop immediately, remove the bolt, find the appropriate tap and begin the cleanup of the threads. Taps are tapered, so as they are inserted and gently turned by hand, they will align with the existing threads in the hole, usually the deeper ones. Once the tap is aligned, use a tap handle to turn the tap, NOT a crescent wrench. A good, appropriately sized tap handle will help you keep the tap aligned.

Mistakes happen. It sounds like you stopped before a significant amount of damage was done. Cleaning up the threads will take care of the damaged portion, but they will never be as strong as original.

Ive done the same thing and tried a tap but it didnt work and I ended up installing a helicoil which fixed it. But try a tap first. It should work!

From past experience, you'll probably end up using a Helicoil anyway now that the thread has been 'fixed' using a tap. This weakens the connection and more stress is put on the remaining threads. BTDT.....:bluduh

I bought a set of Metric tap & dies a while back on E-Bay. they are not the very best, but have got me out of a couple of jams allready. if you don't have a tap and have a little room to work, you can lightly tap the bolt in past the damaged threads with a hammer, (carefully) then screw the bolt in... if the bolt goes in, then put it in and remove it several times to clean everything up.

Thanks to all.
I went to Harper's harware store in Richmond Va with the bolt. They provided the correct tap (metric #6 /0). Oiled the tap and gently screwed in by hand
Everything then went together as advertised

Jack

Back