• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200TR Side Bags Max. Weight

L

larry175

I am going on a trip and want to put most of what I have to take into the side bags. They each weigh about 30 lbs. The book says no more than 22 lbs. Should I expect any problems with the extra weight? I usually pack a soft top case but don't want to use it.

Larry - if you stay within the guidlines you should have no problem.

One thing to be aware of is to adjust your suspension for the extra weight.

IF you have ESA set it to at least 1+luggage, if you have a manual system bump up the preload so the bike sits levels and reacts well to bumps.

A few years back, my wife and I rode a two-up, five day trip to Niagra Falls. If I recall, we ran about 30 pounds on each side and didn't have any trouble. Just monitor the cases and mounts during your trip to ensure all remains as it should.

My wife and I sure packed our 08RT bags last month on a 840 mile trip. I must say the factory bags are very well made, we really packed them tight and had to squeeze to get em closed. No issues with the weight though. We put the tire pressure to the upper limit and set for 2-up and away we went.

Back