• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Transporting the bike

S

Stan09

I am a new member and not sure if I am in the right forum. Also please don't throw me out for asking about hauling the bike instead of riding it. My wife and I plan on spending a few months in Arizona and I need to transport my K1200LT in the back of my pickup since I have to drive it and tow our travel trailer. I can't find any info on loading and securing the bike. Can anyone offer any help?

Like where to put the tie downs?? Usually on the RT most will tie the forks down. Just have to careful on one side with the brake line, making sure you do not pinch the line. In the rear I would remove the saddle bags and secure a tie down near the foot pegs. The rear does not have to racket down to hard. The rear is just so the rear end does move left or right. The front is more important. I sometimes will put a tie down around the front wheel so it does not turn, if you are not using a chock. Hopes this helps a little.

Stan09, see the thread further down this page titled "I'm embarrased to ask this but...". You'll notice my name as the starter of the thread, so you're not the only one to ask this question recently.:whistle

Thanks to both you guys. This helps a lot. Another concern I had. It looks like the tie downs will have to come off the handle bars near the grips to clear the body work. This position applies more leverage on the bars. I was hoping not to have to use too much force. Does anyone know of good anchors to mount in the truck bed and whether in the side of the bed or the floor?

Kevin;
Many thanks. This is what I have been looking for. I believe I can find a similar anchor and chock for a truck bed.:usa

I am a new member and not sure if I am in the right forum. Also please don't throw me out for asking about hauling the bike instead of riding it.

Ohhh come on Stan, you can't expect to not get at least one poke for trailering your bike. Here goes, "What, a trailer? Did you buy that thing to ride or look at?" Consider that a little friendly hazing... . ;)

Good luck!

Stan, there ia a bar tie down I use for faired bikes. It is designed for that use. Called "Canyon Dancer". You can get one at a dealer. Bob's BMW sells them also.
Also, if you use a flat bed trailer without a wheel chock put the bike on the side stand when you tie it down.. Contrary to what many think ,when the front is compressed for long periods of time no harm will come, such as leaking seals.

James.

thanks for that tip. I will look into it. I needed that bit of friendly hazing also. Thanks to you both.

Wharever you do, DO NOT put either the side stand or the center stand down while hauling!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The PO did with my R1100RTP and bent the center stand to where it interfered with the footpeg so bad I had to get my trusty sledgehammer out and readjust it.

JimV.

If memory serves correctly, the LT has cast aluminum handlebars that are really quite long. Cast bars break when used to tie bikes. Bikes fall over or out when handlebars break.

Tie it down to the forks at the fork bridge on a part of the bike capable of taking the stress without breaking. Look again at the A&S link.

Ohhh come on Stan, you can't expect to not get at least one poke for trailering your bike. Here goes, "What, a trailer? Did you buy that thing to ride or look at?" Consider that a little friendly hazing... . ;)

Good luck!

If Stan is really lucky, they'll start a thread about him over on the Campfire site. The denizens of that dark hole are truly heartless.

But, it's just like having to ask for directions to the condom, feminine hygene product or suppository isle in the drugstore.....everyone has to do it sometime.

Back