• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Technics Cyclone jacket and pants

MCMXCIVRS

More toys than space
I have been planning to replace my 7 year old, well worn First Gear jacket and pants before next year. I have researched many of the brands, and had pretty much narrowed the choices to either the Aerostitch of another First Gear set. Then along comes the Technics wholesales rep, who is a client of my wifes, with an offer to sell me a suit for cost. I looked through the catalogue and pretty much chose the top of the line (my champagne taste as always) textile jacket and pants that Technics makes.

Before I decide to buy this suit, I would like some feedback from anyone who has experience with this brand. I know they have been around a while and the stuff looks pretty good, but how does it compare to Aerostitch and others? The Cyclone suit is a Gore-Tex garment. How good is this stuff in continous heavy rain? I want one suit for all conditions. Hot weather is not a big concern here, I need warm and dry to get me through what passes for our riding season. The jacket does have venting which should be good for all but the hottest days here, and for those days I do have a mesh jacket I can use.

No experience with the technic gear, I have been looking at gear from Motoport.com. They have several kevlar products as well as a good codura line as well. They use zip out goretex liners. The website goes into detail about materials etc. Although zip out liners can be good and bad My general experience with laminated goretex in jackets like areostitch and other outdoor products is they don't breathe as well as they would like you to think they do. I have had a stitch for a long time - like any garment it has + and - 's but I think I am going to try something different this time around.

Have I met you - probably.

Dave from saskatoon

RE: Teknic suit

I'm not so concerned with the moisture getting out as I am about moisture getting in. I want a suit that will keep out rain even in continuous heavy showers. I don't want to have to pack along a rain suit to wear over the regular suit. I want it to keep me dry and warm all on its own. My First Gear suit used to do a good job of that, but is failing with age. I have ridden in some pretty nasty conditions and not had any water penetration, that is what I'd like to have again. I dislike having to stop and pull on rain gear for wet protection, I'd rather just be able to keep going through whatever Ma Nature totes out to greet me. Also having to give up limited space in the saddle bags for additional gear is not desirable. I have a Gerbings jacket liner for additional warmth, so the value of the liner is not a concern. It will likely end up being left hanging in the closet at home.

I'm not sure if we've met or not. Were you out to the LF rally or Spokane. I also meet with the Rocky Bow BMW Riders when I can get out.

Note: the correct name is Teknic, not Technics as I first posted. I don't know if that confused anyone about which suit I am looking at.

Motoports stuff is TOPPS! And they ARENT OUTSOURCED!!, like STITCH. Also check out olympiamotosports.com and look at their Sentry jacket. Their armor is good stuff. My fiance has their ladies Airglide jacket and its pretty nice, a foreign made textile like most.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen it already, check out this site:
http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/

I looked very closely at Tecnic when I was replacing my last jacket. The big thing that shot them down for me was something many people might consider inconsequential--their zippers are only available as a zip-up. Once I've zipped up, I want to be able to unzip from the bottom to not have the jacket bunch around my throat.

Beyond that, everything I saw about them was very good. (They are made in China, if this is an issue for you.) I ended up going with a Motorport UltraII Cordura they had in stock. Motoport is very good but their customer service can sometimes be lacking. I think their big issue at the moment is growing pains--they have about a 4-8 week back order.

Back