• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wanted: 12v source that goes off with the key

BILLDENNES

200,000 BMW miles so far
For my '09 K1300GT.

I'm now using power from the GPS plug near the battery box to power a relay. With the relay I control my GPS, my radar detector and my radar detector's audio amplifier.

The GPS plug connects to
1. Ground
2. About 10.5 volts. Comes on with key, goes off with key. BUT it's too weak to pick a relay. Even a 6v relay.
3. 13.2 volts. Comes on with key, waits about 80 seconds after key is turned off, THEN shuts down the 13.2 volts.

I'm using connections 1 and 3 to work the relay. This means that my radar detector may squack consantly for 80 seconds after the key goes off. I don't want to turn the detector off by hand, because then I'll forget to turn it back on. Sad but true, I'll forget and then...

The 13.2 volts from the accessory plug uses the same shutdown delay as the GPS plug.

Can anybody tell me where to find "the wire" that I'm looking for? Needs to come on with the key, go off with the key, and be strong enough to pick and hold a relay.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For my '09 K1300GT.

I'm now using power from the GPS plug near the battery box to power a relay. With the relay I control my GPS, my radar detector and my radar detector's audio amplifier.

The GPS plug connects to
1. Ground
2. About 10.5 volts. Comes on with key, goes off with key. BUT it's too weak to pick a relay. Even a 6v relay.
3. 13.2 volts. Comes on with key, waits about 80 seconds after key is turned off, THEN shuts down the 13.2 volts.

I'm using connections 1 and 3 to work the relay. This means that my radar detector may squack consantly for 80 seconds after the key goes off. I don't want to turn the detector off by hand, because then I'll forget to turn it back on. Sad but true, I'll forget and then...

The 13.2 volts from the accessory plug uses the same shutdown delay as the GPS plug.

Can anybody tell me where to find "the wire" that I'm looking for? Needs to come on with the key, go off with the key, and be strong enough to pick and hold a relay.

Thanks!

Use the parking light circuit.

Where to pick up the wire?

Do I have to remove a bunch of tupperware to get this off the back of the headlight, or is there an easier way?

Thanks again!

Many ways to skin a cat

This is where i got power for my Centech panel - power comes on with the key, off with the key.

It is the turn signal

DSC05642.jpg

And you can use this link to get to it

Wedge Headlight Trim Removal

The parking light doesn't just unplug so you can change the bulb without removing the trim?

It's working and I love it!

No more 80 seconds of having to stand by the bike while the radar detector squawks away. Yay!

For cjack - Yep, you can change the turn signal bulb as you describe, but the power I was looking for is not on that pigtail. There's not enough slack in the wire harness to get to what you need in that manner.

For SemperFi - Thanks, Luis! the picture you posted in this thread was primo!

For all - Take a good look at the photo that SemperFi posted in this thread. You should be able to see the plug for the "side lamp" sticking through the subframe near the headlight. It's black in color. Once it's unplugged, you can pull it through the same hole that the turn signal wire comes through.

The power I was looking for is available on the blue and white wire that starts at the "side lamp" socket and runs somewhere into the bowels of the bike. What's useful is that it runs toward the bowels by going down the little wire bundle from where the turn signal and "side lamp" wires join.

It helps to snip the first tie wrap that holds that bundle to the bike, and to unplug the "side lamp." That will let you pull the bundle away from the frame and make the next step easier.

You'll need to slit the bundle's wrapping tape and pick out the blue and white wire. Skin some insulation off a half-inch of that wire and solder your wire to it. Tape the bundle back together (black duct tape can help here) and hook up the power where you need it (relay, Centech block, etc.).

picture.php

Then replace the tie wrap, connect the "side lamp" and put all the plastic back on. :hungover

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did

Here is the blue wire "skinned back"

DSC05641.jpg

And here it is retaped up and secured to the headlight housing

DSC05644.jpg

As a little bit of insurance I ran some cable wrap around it to minimize any chafing

DSC05645.jpg

There's not enough slack in the wire harness to get to what you need in that manner.

I hate it when that happens...but here's something that may simplify the thing...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2868/575/

But the shipping USPS is cheaper here...

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/02350.htm

But (another but...) it doesn't work with some of the new bikes since their parking light sockets are very long or totally different. Like the K12GT and the K12S. But works with the R12GS.

Last edited:
Nifty looking accessory!

Jack - For twenty bucks you could hardly go wrong with one of those adapters.

But (ain't there always a "but"?) wouldn't you have to remove at least some of the plastic in order to route the wire off to where you'd use it? The pocket in the fairing where the turn signal goes doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

Easy for me to say now that I've already taken all that stuff off and put it back on. :)

I hate it when that happens...but here's something that may simplify the thing...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2868/575/

But the shipping USPS is cheaper here...

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/02350.htm

But (another but...) it doesn't work with some of the new bikes since their parking light sockets are very long or totally different. Like the K12GT and the K12S. But works with the R12GS.

The other BUT is that I had the exact part that Cjack linked to and I could not mount in on the GT, that is why I went with the splice of the wire shown earlier.

My '07 K-GT has the long bulb holders on the parking lights. I gained access to the bulb holder by taking off the left side directional signal assembly. After pulling the holder out of the lamp I carefully bared the positive wire and made my splice.

Back