• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Utah Weekend

Our return route had us on US 50 in Nevada. We received some excellent advise from Reno area riders at the Getaway to fill up whenever possible. This turned out to be good juju as indeed several of the small towns along the way no longer had operating fuel stations. There was one dry spell about 160 miles long.

I travel US 50 several times a year and I don't know of a 160 mile dry spell.

Where was that ?

First, thank you Andy (andrewsi) for the great "wrap-up" - and it was great meeting you, as well! Hope to see you in Redmond.

The first Weekend Getaway - Utah was a ton of fun; from the Friday evening reception, to the Saturday rides, to the final dinner (and following social hours...). All who have been there know the southern Utah area is second to none for scenery and great roads. The town of Cedar City is very nice and we found our host hotel, the Crystal Inn, was terrific at taking care of our group. Besides the obvious places such as Zion, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks and others, we were able to experience 10,000 foot passes with mile after mile of aspen trees in their brightest glory of yellow, orange and red; 5000 foot valleys with 90 degree temperatures; relatively light off-season traffic and the fun of riding and getting to know a bunch of MOA members we had never before met. Believe me, Colors in the Catskills has nothing on the high-country aspen forests of the Rockies in late September!

There were officially 82 members in attendance. Frankly, the 100 person limit was imposed after registration opened, since going in we truly did not expect that large a response and had prepared for that number only. There were some diligent members that called the office back later to find there were some cancellations, and then were able to register. Those in attendance know we handed out an evaluation form for you to fill out. We received responses from nearly everyone and have some new ideas to work with including some great ideas for other venues.

To follow up on Andy's reference to the down riders, the couple (riding two-up) sustained relatively minor injuries, were released from the hospital the next day and are already looking for a replacement bike. Good news!

I think I can speak for Jackie Hughes, Greg Feeler, Tom Buttars, Ted Moyer and myself in saying that we had a terrific time planning and facilitating this event. And yes, there are plans to repeat this event as well as bring other similar events to the membership across the country. Thanks to all who attended and we look forward to meeting and riding with even more BMW MOA members in the future.

Chris

Below: BMW MOA Treasurer Tom Buttars talking with a member about the Saturday "long" ride at the Friday evening reception.

Attachments

• Sept '09 044.jpg
    Sept '09 044.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 53
BMW MOA Director of Marketing and Advertising Ted Moyer and BMW MOA Vice President Jackie Hughes check in a member for the Weekend Getaway - Utah.

Attachments

• Sept '09 053.jpg
    Sept '09 053.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 53
One of the Saturday morning ride groups; first stop, Kolob Canyon in Zion National Park.

Attachments

• Sept '09 055.jpg
    Sept '09 055.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
Riding the 10,000 ft high Cedar Breaks road. Andy in the lead.

Attachments

• Sept '09 068.jpg
    Sept '09 068.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 54
This was my first ever "organized" motorcycle event and I had great time! I've already scheduled the time off to go to Redmond. The Utah weekend was at the end of a 2 week 5,000 mile trip for me and was a wonderful end to a great vacation. I can't wait until the next one.

Paul

I travel US 50 several times a year and I don't know of a 160 mile dry spell.

Where was that ?
Could be the gas station in Austin was closed when we went through early Sunday morning. I'm thinking it was Eureka to just shy of Fallon.

Riding the 10,000 ft high Cedar Breaks road. Andy in the lead.

A few years ago I was forced to ride of the Breaks Road starting about 8pm. Never saw so many deer in my life. A sea of blue eyes for a several hundred yards in every directions. Literally, whole herds with hundreds of deer all over the hills and tarmac in some of those upper flatland areas. Had one go right under one of my mirrors and leave a clump of hair! Too fast to pat her on the head though. Didn't see a one this time through but I know they're out there waiting for the sun to go down! Absolutely beautiful coming through there that weekend.

Back