• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Stebel Nautilus by any other name...

having a little trouble finding the parts i need but i will go back to the hardware store tomorrow and hopefully get everything i need to finish this.

George,

here is some guidance

http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm

I've done this on the Honda Big Ruckus...the stebel is split and each half is under the tupperware in the front of the scooter. Definitely a better weatherproof installation. I've put 5K miles on this install so far and no issues.

Original horn button...I cut the horn wires, put spade connectors on it and them plugged them into the stebel wiring harness.

This shows the finished product

web.jpg

and where i cut the wires and put the spade connectors on the original horn wires

web.jpg

Last edited:
Horn Comparison

I'm looking to upgrade my horn on my 1150GSA and came across the following comparison done by webbikeWorld and thought it might be of interest. Looks like it was done in 2008.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

Note comments about the Stebel Nautilus compact:

Stebel Nautilus Failure
There's one problem we have to report right up front: both Stebel Nautilus horns had serious and fatal flaws. They died before we could even get them registered on the sound meter! We were, however, able to record the first and only beeps spoken by the big red Nautilus Max (see below).

The Nautilus Max horn worked for a few short honks; less than about 3 seconds total. After the final honk, it died. We've since discussed this with several other Nautilus owners who have indicated that premature and unexpected (and sudden) failure is a common problem with the Nautilus horns.

The Stebel Nautilus Compact, which is the most common Nautilus horn of this type sold to motorcyclists, didn't work at all -- it was DOA, right out of the box. Dead, nada, ixnay, nothing.

Both horns were purchased separately from completely different vendors, several months apart. One horn was purchased in the UK an one in the U.S., so our only conclusion is that Stebel has a serious problem with these horns.

Apparently the Nautilus uses some type of internal compressor that powers the horns, and it is very prone to failure -- especially if it gets wet. When the Nautilus horns fail, all that's left is a flatulent 77 dB croak, which is useless for our purposes.

So our conclusion is that at this point, the Stebel Nautilus cannot be recommended. After all, what good is the loudest horn in the world if you can't depend on it when it's needed?

Not to mention the things are huge, heavy and they have really awful mounting brackets, making it a real chore to mount on any type of motorcycle that we can think of.

I've had a Stebel Nautilus on my RT for about a year and a half and am very pleased. I use it sparingly, but when I use it, people HEAR it. I've never had a bit of a problem with it. I've ridden in the rain, in Texas heat, on sub-freezing days and the horn has been absolutely dependable.

I put twin Fiamm horns on my Moto Guzzi. I liked them. They were not as loud as the Stebel, but much louder and better sound than the stock horn.

Back