• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Stebel Nautilus by any other name...

P

perniculous

is the exact same thing! Strolling through the auto section of my local Meijer store (big super store thing in Michigan and other midwestern states), I saw a Stebel Nautilus air horn. However it had a different brand name like Nolo or something like that. It was the exact same horn for $40. So, if you want to pick one up locally and are near a Meijer check it out.

It is Wolo and it is made for them by Stebel. You can find them on sale at Harbor Freight most of the time for $35.00, plus a 20% off coupon and you are looking at $28.00.

Exactly,HF;

Me too, seen them at HF Tools. They've had them for a few years now at my HF store. The BMW shops out here have picked them up now too, for some time. I think a few bucks more, because its a BMW Shop. Randy:usa

It's the Wolo Bad Boy ... and it's great. Trust me, it will get you some attention if not respect!

Got mine at AutoZone but have seen it in every auto parts store in this area with a very reasonable price tag. An install is pretty straight forward and, since the compressor and horn body can be separated, can be configured to fit pretty much any mounting situation ...

is the exact same thing! Strolling through the auto section of my local Meijer store (big super store thing in Michigan and other midwestern states), I saw a Stebel Nautilus air horn. However it had a different brand name like Nolo or something like that. It was the exact same horn for $40. So, if you want to pick one up locally and are near a Meijer check it out.

A real Stebel Nautilus air horn is not the same thing as a Wolo or any other generic Nautilus air horn because the decibel rating is not as strong as the real Stebel Nautilus air horn. If you are wanting a real Nautilus air horn, go to Twisted Throttle and order it. Harbor Freight is a generic and is not as loud. Believe me, I know!

I mounted the Stebel Nautilus on my '07 1200 RT and I am VERY pleased. I rarely use my horn, but when I do, I want it to be heard. The Nautilus definitely fulfills that requirement.

Why not just buy the real deal from a vendor that supports the MOA and motorcycling in general.....Twisted Throttle - $39.99

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/539/

9397-425x350.jpg

A real Stebel Nautilus air horn is not the same thing as a Wolo or any other generic Nautilus air horn because the decibel rating is not as strong as the real Stebel Nautilus air horn. If you are wanting a real Nautilus air horn, go to Twisted Throttle and order it. Harbor Freight is a generic and is not as loud. Believe me, I know!

The Wolo IS MADE BY STEBEL! I have both and can tell no difference.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399808&highlight=stebel

http://www.gpecustom.com/Stebel_Air_Horn.html

A simple method to settle the dispute about these horns would be to find 2 people that have the 2 different horns and someone that has a decible meter. Check them both at same distance from the horns. I am almost willing to put money on them pushing the same numbers, or at least very close numbers.

The ratings of both these horns is over rated a bit, but they are still the loudest things I have ever heard on any bike.

And if you look around in old stock at some autopart stores, you may find another "brand name" on the same horn. Mine say Bosch on them. Got them a few years ago at a local autoparts store clear out sale for $10. Mounted them on my RT and they still scare the heck out of me when I use them. Lots of blast back due to mounting where stock horns were and the fairing being in the way.

i currently have a Wolo on my bike. at one of the rallies i had the chance to listen to a real Stebel next to my Wolo. the Stebel is louder. i now have a Stebel sitting on the desk in front of me waiting to replace the Wolo tomorrow. got my Stebel from TwistedThrottle.

How about research the actual horns, huh?

The Wolo horn model number 519 that you would be putting on your bike puts out 118 decibels:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/motorcycle.htm

The Stebel Nautilus puts out 139 decibels:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137

Go ahead and tell me again that there is no difference!

Both are f'ing loud people, is it really worth a pissing match? And I DID buy mine from twisted throttle if that makes anyone feel better. :nyah

The decibel ratings listed do not tell you how far away they measured. Closer to the horn, the higher the rating.

With either horm, you are definitely going to get some attention.

I would like to put a Strebil horn on my R1100RT do I need to order by bike model, or is the horn universal? thanks for any info. Kenny...

Back