• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Like the new bikes? Thoughts on BMW's vision.

Of all of them, I really like the V7 Classic. Oh, wait, that there is not a BMW. That's right, in BMW's attempt to be number one in all fronts they have completely forgotten about the modern classics, unlike Guzzi, Ducati, Triumph, Harley, ....

Of all of them, I really like the V7 Classic. Oh, wait, that there is not a BMW. That's right, in BMW's attempt to be number one in all fronts they have completely forgotten about the modern classics, unlike Guzzi, Ducati, Triumph, Harley, ....

How true. BMW has completely forgotten it's classic past, i.e. the pre-oilhead Boxers. They do not want to go there again! Discovered with the intro of the brick K's how hard-headed the airhead crowd is. Wish they would though; woud not a new R90S be grand?!

I too love the Guzzi V7 and the retro Ducatis, and the other retro bikes.

I'm a bit unusual in this regard*,
But the only only bikes I've owned have been '85 and newer BMWs- which means that the three-button system is what I'm used to and most comfortable with. I recently spent about 30 miles on a friend's Aprilia scooter (which uses the 'Japanese' type signal switch) and I think I fumbled every turn signal in the entire ride.

*Well, most regards really, but that's another thread for another discussion...

Totally opposite here :dance

Finally got used to the GT switchgear. Finished doing a full service on my wife's R1200ST and went for a road test around town and I was just laughing at myself because I just kept messing up all the turn signals, shutting them off and turning them on.

It's all muscle memory - but if I had my druthers I would have left it at the 3 switches - it is more natural and logical :lurk

The only new BMW bikes that I care for are perhaps the R1200R and the F800GS - at least those bikes make some sense to me and aren't totally encased in tupperware. I would love it if BMW came out with some retro style models - if done right, even an oilhead powerplant wouldn't look too bad. In the meantime, I'll keep my little airhead, and keep my eyes open for another one to join it.

I think that BMW seems to want to be #1 in the markets that they think that they can be #1 in - even if that means creating a niche market of their own choosing to be #1 in. Just ask the R1200C owners - that was a unique bike with a decent following, but there was no way BMW would take over the cruiser market with it, so they dropped it to the dismay of many. Oh well, my opinion is probably not worth what you paid for it..

How true. BMW has completely forgotten it's classic past, i.e. the pre-oilhead Boxers. They do not want to go there again! Discovered with the intro of the brick K's how hard-headed the airhead crowd is. Wish they would though; woud not a new R90S be grand?!

Wow, that would be a great PR move, I never thought of that. A modernized version of the somewhat controversial,ground-breaking 1974 R90S; that would be a great move.
Air-cooled, shaft-drive, I wouldn't mind if it was FI instead of Del'Orto, mmm. That V7 Classic is under-powered; you can compete with that ... come on, Mister BMW ...

I have often wondered how the membership here feels about the new product coming from Germany. Do you like what you see? Do you find yourself lusting after one of the new models, or, are you thinking what were they "thinking"? Perhaps you are considering the purchase of another brand? I know when I ride my ol' airhead I appreciate the simplicity, but those simple "work on your " bike days are gone, never to return. Sure, some do wrench the new and newer bikes, and good on 'em! But it is a different day in general. What do ya think? Like the new stuff? Hate it? Wish you could get BMW to change direction? Any other thoughts pertaining to BMW bikes? Are ya gonna stay with the brand or abandon it for a new love?

If you can wrench on an airhead, the new bikes will be a piece of cake.

Sit in on an oilhead tech day and you'll know exactly what those guys are doing during a tune up because it's what you're already doing.

My /2 and my hexhead are equally easy to service.

I'll stick with the brand. I like they way they make speed.

I think one needs to look beyond the appearance and consider the way they work.

When you consider that BMW made a "gentleman's express" in the 90S or RS, the new bikes are very similar. It's not necessarily the bike itself, either. It's the collection of accessories available that make the bike perform its intended mission so well. From the high beam indicator that doesn't blind you at night to the way the bags lock to store your stuff, those same values still exist. That's why I keep buying them.

They're obviously made by people that ride and have spent time on the bikes actually going somewhere.

If you can wrench on an airhead, the new bikes will be a piece of cake.

Sit in on an oilhead tech day and you'll know exactly what those guys are doing during a tune up because it's what you're already doing.

My /2 and my hexhead are equally easy to service.

I'll stick with the brand. I like they way they make speed.

Dave, I own an oilhead and agree they are easy to wrench on, as they are an evolution of the airheads. Just more valves to adjust for example, in relation to the airheads. I do think, however ,the new inline motors are a different story. Still, will not rule out ownership of same and have owned a couple of the K bricks in the past.

BMW's direction?

a few questions:

1. When they next re-do the hex-head, will the clutch spline extend all the way thru the disk. Or is the same stubborn old fart still insisting they made it that way for a reason, but never gives the reason.

2. Will the Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder include a weep hole. An upgraded release bearing?

3. Will the final drive ever get reliable.

4. Will the ESA shock become rebuild-able.

5. Will they ever learn how to machine the engine and transmission so the center line of the shafts coincide.

Now I am all for ABS, and all for wiring harness simplification and CAN Buss. Seeing old problems repeated over and over is senseless.

Rod

I saw the "40 Years" picture on today's website front page -

To me that bike (R75/5) is better looking than any of the current offerings.

It doesn't matter whether I like the new offerings or not, I won't own one. The closest dealer to me is 275 miles away. I'm in a metropolitan area of 3/4 million on this side and 2+million on the Mexican side - with no BMW motorcycle dealer closer than Albuquerque! So I'll just go along, wrenching on my K75's, ordering my parts off the internet, and reading about the new products from BMW.

Do you like what you see? Perhaps you are considering the purchase of another brand?

Not really and the fact that I am looking at other brands for the first time since 1990 is a sign.

Do you find yourself lusting after one of the new models, or, are you thinking what were they "thinking"?

Not at all. Unfortunately I'm not one of the puppets the advertising world would like me to be.

I always chuckle when there is so much hysteria on the part of BMW owners when a new model comes out; some of them actually run out as fast as possible so that they can be the "first to own one". What puppets will do for attention. :laugh

I know when I ride my ol' airhead I appreciate the simplicity, but those simple "work on your " bike days are gone, never to return.

I feel the same way which is why I'd never sell my two airhead GSes, even though I also own an oilhead GS.

The chances of me getting my airhead GS going are exponentially far better than getting my oilhead going should it fail on the road.

Progress...how interesting!

plus, the airhead imparts a special vibe that just isn't quite there on the new bikes.

Ian, I don't even have to start them to feel that way.

All I have to do is move my airhead and oilhead GSes around in the garage while doing a clean-up and when I swing a leg over my 1990 GS, all I can say is "this is a real GS"...but not too loudly as my oilhead might feel hurt.

The new BMWs do not impress me to the point of wanting to buy one. Just not my style. I am old school and prefer a bike to look more classic. If I was to get real serious about a new bike, I would be leaning more towards a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic or the new Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic. And the price on these is really very reasonable.

I have ridden a new V7 Classic and found it does everything I would want in a bike. Would like a small windscreen or fly screen and some classically styled panniers, but aftermarket is available. It reminds me of the original V7, yet has a more stable feel to it. I don't feel that I need a bike that has over 100HP and can do 150MPH. I prefer a bike that I can enjoy at normal highway speeds as well as around town. I have dealt with the closest dealer to me in the past and always found them to be very personable as well as knowledgable. they are closer than the closest BMW shop as well.

IMHO Moto Guzzi has embraced their past and brought out some very well thought out bikes that point back to their heritage, yet incorporate modern engine management, suspension, frames, etc.

BMW on the other hand appears to be trying to forget it's past and what got them to where they are today. That seems odd to me as almost every other bike maker is bringing out some classically styled bikes that bring back the days of when the make of a bike could be easily identified without looking for a badge or name. When individual bikes had soul. To me, the new BMWs no longer have any soul. They sure have lots of tupperware though.

I saw an article somewhere (BMW Owners News?) where someone put an oilhead engine in a slash-2(?) frame. I thought that was very cool and suggestive. Being an old fart, I would love to see BMW come out with a classically styled bike (read: R69US or /5 or /6) with oilhead engine. But like those above, I do not think it will happen.

My main wish is that I hope BMW knows what it is doing and sells tons of motorcycles, whatever they are. My preferences are likely irrelevant. I would like BMW Motorrad to be profitable so it stays in business, so I want it to increase its market share a lot.

R69US:
r69us-2.jpg

R75/6:
74r75b.jpg

Well...

At the risk of dating myself and possibly offending a few members...
why on Earth do we need all this new horsepower? Just because the Italians and Japanese are nuts, must we follow like lemmings?

Yes, the new bikes look cool and are very powerful, but how many riders can really utilize all that power.

I came close to buying a Guzzi because I love the retro look along with being air cooled and shaft driven, but with a poor dealer network in my area, I opted for a used 2001 R1100RL.

If BMW ever brought back an updated R75/5 ( or other /5's and /6's in the 600cc-900cc range) they would probably sell a ton of 'em.

My 2 cents.

Why on Earth do we need all this new horsepower? Just because the Italians and Japanese are nuts, must we follow like lemmings?

Its not the fault of the Italians or the Japanese. Its the fault of your average consumer that "wants" more of what they really don't "need"...it makes up for a shortcoming in one particular bodily area. ;)

Its laughable when reading the GS forums...most want more horsepower, at least that is what they talk about when a new model comes out..as if they needed more HP in the dirt. :laugh

Somebody's got to buy em new so I can buy em 5/10 years from now at a price I can afford when that owner's ready to unload them for the new latest/greatest. :laugh

Speaking of HP, I was just talking to a sales manager who used to work for the mother ship about this. I mentioned the LT and some of the thoughts that it will be getting a make over soon with a much large engine, some rumors say a 6 cylinder don't they? He and I were both in agreement that the K1300 engine would be fine in it and give it plenty of power to haul aroung the bike and passengers. At what point does the HP to weight ratio become so lopsided that it is ridiculous.

I like the old and the new bikes. I wish I could have some of each to suit what ever mood I am in when I go out to the garage. The new style bikes just reflect the times I think, some retro style bikes would be nice too.

I think the bigger issue is the after sale part of the company. I would like to see BMW Motorrad step up their game to the level of the BMW car dealers.

I really like the R1200RT but will ride my 2004 CLC for at least 3>4 more years before acquiring a nice used one (2007 > 2010). If my health dictates that 2 wheels will not be a good option I will look at a sidecar rig. The new bikes are attractive but I believe that you can find greater value with used bikes if you shop carefully.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

Back