• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hermann, MO

d_day_6

LDR Poseur!
Mid September my wife and I planned a trip to New Orleans taking 2 laners all the way from western Wisconsin. Part of our route included US 19 thru Missouri and the Mark Twain National Forest, it was beautiful and the roads were outstanding. We road thru a small town on the Missouri River called Hermann, and apparently is an old German settlement. We liked the looks of it an made a note on our map, reminding us to check it out on some other trip. Well, we arrived in New Orleans on a Monday and had to evacuate the next morning because of Ivan. We decided to just head back north to Hermann and spend some time.

What a beautiful town! Lots of vineyards, pubs and German restaurants. The riding along the Missouri river and National forest wasn't too bad either.

I asked some locals if there were any bike rallys held here and they did not know. Anyone on the board from Missouri know?
I'd love an excuse to go back. It seemed the perfect place to have a rally..........

Hermann

Hermann IS a great place to vacation. It was founded by German settlers who felt that the area reminded them of the Rhine valley.

Prior to Prohibition it was the heart of the largest wine country in the US, but the wineries and even the vineyards were torn out due to Prohibition. There are now several wineries within a few miles of Hermann if you like to visit them.

The roads are super for motorcycling, especially south and west. Motels are inexpensive. They do kind of roll up the sidewalks in the evening, however. Many who have discovered this little treasure come back each year and headqurter there and take day rides. I don't know of any formal rallies held there.

GSTom,

Too bad there aren't any formal rallies there. IMHO, it would be a nice place for a local, smaller rally. Campground right in the city and plenty of Bed and Breakfasts, 3 german restaurants.....what more do ya need!!

The wife and I toured the Stone Hill winery and had dinner at the restaurant. I am no wine expert, but what I did taste was outstanding and the food was great. The German restaurant at the winery is a converted stable with booths in the horse stalls.
People were great and it is a must do again for my wife and myself.

Back