• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Coocase Astra 48 Luxury Top Case..A Review

X

xtek95

I bought Coocase Astra 48 L from Twisted Throttle in early May this year, so i have had it on my '09 1200RT for 3 months now.

THE GOOD: The silver color of the top case matches my silver RT very well indeed. The 48 Litre size is capable of storing two large HJC flip up helmets.
It comes with a remote control lock, alarm and LED brakelights, and running lights (if you get Twisted Throttle P/N 00011).
The initial cost was reasonable, considerably less than BMW version.
There are purchasable options, such as inner liner, different lens colors, back rest pad, I bought the back rest pad and inner liner and like it a lot. It's thin neoprene like material that should last a good long while.

THE BAD: It took over 3 months to get the CanBus wiring kit to me. Just had it hooked up yesterday at my local BMW shop, and it turns out that the running lights DO NOT WORK. Had to buy a seperate mounting plate (GIVI) for it to mount up properly on the rear rack. The folding key broke off in the lock the very first time i used it (e-mail to coocase and twisted throttle sent, not answered yet).
After the case is opened up it wants to lock itself after about 20 seconds (why)? With the optional passenger backrest pad in position, and the case mounted as far back as i can get it to go, it tends to extend too far forward intruding into your passenger's lumbar region. It needs to come rearward about an inch in my opinion. Depending on the road type sometimes you get a "rumble" noise from the case.
There is a slight delay for the topcase led's to illuminate when you hit the brakes.

So, overall i'm less than happy with the whole total experience with the Coocase Astra 48L, Here's why, after spending nearly $600 between the topcase itself, accessories and electrical mounting fees i'm left with a top case that is essentially unlockable due to the key still stuck in the lock, and no running lights. The running lights were part of the reason i bought it in the first place, i wanted to be seen better at night on the interstate.
If Coocase does the right thing by me and replaces the locking mechanism, and resolves the running light issue i will update this review. But for now, its a thumbs down....sorry.

Attachments

• DSC00742.jpg
    DSC00742.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3,680
Last edited:
Coocase on the RT

Thought i'd post a pic of the case on my RT...

Attachments

• DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5,222
thumbs up for GIVI

Sounds like a terrible experience, one I almost took. I bought my GSA last August and got the BMW saddlebags but decided on GIVI for the topcase. Total price was $374 for the V46 Monokey Topcase and mounting plate. It all went on without a hitch and since then purchased the Givi backrest. Like you, the silver matches well with the Adventure silver. I was somewhat thinking of hooking up lights but in the back of my mind I do worry about that electrical system on the newer BMW's. So I will stick with just the topcase as is, works great the only thing I don't like is to close it you must lock it and sometimes that is a hassel for my wife.
Good luck with yours and keep us informed.

gpodzo

Yup, if i had it to do over i'd get the Givi V46, it's a bit smaller, looks just as good, and probably a LOT less hassle in the end.:banghead

Update

Update, i just got off the phone with Twisted Throttle and they are taking my complaint seriously.
They are gonna replace the entire top case with a new one, no shipping charges. Additionally, they are gonna replace the 3 piece wiring kit with a new one piece unit that DOES provide power for the running lights, and they are covering return shipping costs for everything.
By golly, there may be a little light at the end of this tunnel after all.:dance
Thank you Nick @ TT

Same problem!

I purchased a coocase this past winter, but the smaller version, for the reasons you did, I wanted to be more visible at night. My case is on my 97 650ST. Just the other day while cleaning the bike, my key broke however I was able to retrieve the key, but now the remote is not working correctly and there have been a couple of times where I was not able to get into the coocase. Also in trying to use the key, it will not turn in the lock. I also bought from twisted throttle and am very glad to hear that they are doing the right thing as they will be getting a call from me also.

Excellent, i just got my shipping notice today and my new case is on the way. Should have new case by thursday, and new wiring install Sat morn,

Coocase speaks

Finally heard from Coocase...although they made no mention about the 3 month delay in shipping a wiring kit for the Astra 48 they did offer an apology for the faulty lock/key situation. Additionally they offered to replace the lock, and included a pdf file (which failed to open, go figure) that was to be step by step instructions on how to remove the key from their "old style" lock.
Supposedly they have remedied the "faulty lock" situation with a new version.
My response to them was to point out to them that twisted throttle had already one-upped them by offering to replace the whole unit.
I don't know squat about retail , but i hope twisted throttle doesn't end up eating it on this one. Seems to me that Coocase should step up and credit TT for the case.
So far TT seems to understand the meaning of customer service, Coocase on the other hand is still reading the manual.

When I called Twisted Throttle, they too offered to send just the lock, but I explained to them that I did not feel comfortable replacing the lock and I was worried about what that would do to the warranty. They promptly offered to send out a new case with a prepaid return label to send the defective case, key and remote back to them...My case is supposed to arrive on Saturday, hopefully with the new locking mechanism! I fully agree with the other comments!

Getting better..

An update, new topcase received along with new wiring kit. Both installed and i now have running lights in addition to brake lights on the topcase.
Only one small problem, the new case has the very same lock on it as the old one. I'm trying to get the new version lock sent to me, still waiting on reply. But at least i now know not to use the flip key on the fob to even attempt to lock/unlock the Astra 48.
I'll let ya know if i hear from Twisted Throttle again.
:ear

Final Thoughts

Putting this to rest now....In the end i have a top case that i am only partially happy with, and i blame no one but myself for having made the wrong decision in my purchase choice.
I don't like the position of the case, too far forward and invading passenger's lumbar area. Also don't like the delay involved with led's lighting up half a second AFTER my brake lights.
I applaud Twisted Throttle for stepping up and replacing the unit.
I am less than happy with Coocase for cheap design of lock/key and poor ergonomics with my particular model.
At this point i wish i had bought the BMW 49Litre case, less hassle, better fit, but sacrificing extra lighting which would be helpful in my opinion on the interstate at night.
Hindsight is now 20/20.

I had a GIVI V46 on my RT and had the same issue with regards to passenger space and comfort. So far, only the BMW 49L case is made to properly accommodate a passenger by means of its mounting position on the rack and the curvature of the backrest.

Similar experience with CooCase

A little late, but I just wanted to pipe in and recount that my experience was almost exactly like the OP's. For potential CooCase buyers: you get what you pay for, skip the CooCase and get the Givi--while I have never owned a Givi, it's got to be better than the CooCase.

I purchased my CooCase S48 Astra in late May 2009 from Twisted Throttle to mount on my 09R12GS. The CanBus accessories did not show up until more than a month later (and without applicable directions). The locking mechanism has been nothing but problems and the remote stopped working a few weeks ago (batteries and electric connection to box are fine). The remote mounted key broke off after 2nd use, and the lock would not turn. With some CLP and the big red key, I got the lock to open and it has been in the open position for a few months. Today, it mysteriously locked while I was hours from home. Being dumb enough to not have a spare key with me, I was without wallet, phone and everything else in the top box.

Coocase is junk in my opinion. I'm glad to hear that TwistedThrottle stands behind their stuff, so I'll put a call into them tomorrow to see what they say.

Last edited:
For potential CooCase buyers: you get what you pay for, skip the CooCase and get the Givi--while I have never owned a Givi, it's got to be better than the CooCase.

I have GIVI E52 top case for the last 10 years and have no problems.
Yes it lost the shine and colors but it works fine for me.
I do abuse it and often overload that case to the double/triple of it's limits.
But for the budget, before I spend the money on the CooCase, I would go with Bestem Model 929. Pay 70 bucks and you get your self a 46L top case with an LED lights and mounting plate and the hardware. Add 30 bucks and you will have a liner too. I installed it on my F650CS and have no problems. The lock is not the best but for the money, I have no complains.:wave
Here is the link.
http://www.bestemusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=689

I have both the 28L and 49L BMW cases, so I cannot speak to the original issue.

But I can throw in Kudos for Twisted Throttle - very nice company to work with.

I have ordered items from them in the past (primarily GIVI products), and have always been satisfied with the service - true motorcycle people.

I remember them contacting me for rooming recomendations for our National Rally when it was held in West Bend.

I steered them to the Country Inn and Suites - apparently they haven't held that against me! :bow

Similar experience with CooCase; but Twisted Throttle response is great!

But I can throw in Kudos for Twisted Throttle - very nice company to work with.

I have to agree. Per my post a few days ago, I ended up emailing Twisted Throttle, and Jennifer from TT is sending me a new box and a return label. Wow, talk about a pleasant surprise.

Next, I will see if the new box is improved from what I hope were early production teething problems.

Thanks for the heads up! I was seriously leaning toward the Coocase for my 650CS, but in the end just appropriated the Givi case that was on my son's previous bike (he doesn't want it for the new G650GS anyway). Unfortunately, while in storage, the key for the Givi had been broken off in the lock. We just took it to a local locksmith and paid the $18 to remove it, then had them make a replacement key. Good to go!

Back