• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone get new Metzlers...

R

RTDoug

...at the rally, and have an issue?

My brother-in-law bought a set at the vendor tent. Mounted balanced, and ready for the road.

Only problem was the rear went flat, on our way home 42 miles north of Johnson City. The bike had sat until we left.

Glad it didin't happen on "the Dragon"

Prior to the install he had no issues.

Seems they installed the old tubes and pinched/tore it in the process.

Luckily, it was the rear, and he didn't have an accident.

Metzler and the installer are rather un-sympathetic to his situation, and his $400 U-haul bill!

Not a strong selling point IMHO

Regards

I needed a new rear tire on my R1150R so I had the Metzler folk put one on at the rally. Rode it to Kentucky, back home to South Carolina, to the RA rally, home again and now have about 1900 miles on it. It has given no problem.
Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw when dealing with folks you don't know.

Sorry, no fuel for this fire - I had a tube type rear mounted for my F 650 and they reused the tube with no problems.

In fact, because my bike uses a size Tourance they didn't bring as many of and were getting low by Friday morning, the rep pulled one and put my name on it just on my verbal commitment to bring him back a wheel to change it onto.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Ride it the next time;

Did you guys even check the tire pressure before you left the rally? A really good idea. Maybe you did. If you didn't, shame on you guys. Even if it did have full air at departure, days after the tire job, a tube is best installed by its "owner", imo. I always want to DO my own tubes, for this very good reason. I KNOW its in there right:) and if it fails its ME on the hook! A tube type tire is easy to do, with good tire irons:). Randy....Sorry for your incident and Happy Trails. Glad you lived through it, unharmed:). :thumb

Not wanting to sound like a smarta** and hoping you take this as constructive feedback, but what if you flatted 42 miles or 420 miles before the rally?...two of you travelling and no provisions for a flat? Even if I am running 5 miles into town, I plan on the probability of running over something. If I carry the gear,Murphy's Law seems to take care of me...if I leave it..."someone" has a flat.
My second solution would be to remove the wheel and have my buddy take it to be repaired while I sat under a shade tree. I don't even have tubes on our bikes as we did in the past, but I carry patches for friends that do. Paying $400 is not an option for me unless the bike has serious issues and I am WAY away from home or help from the Anonymous Book...I have been rescued and have rescued...paying it forward ya know...

I change a lot of tires on our bikes and more for friends...I treat them like my own and if the tube is questionable in age or has had more than a year on it ,I insist they use a new one if I am doing the install...just like changing valve stems...cheap insurance and they roll out with all I could do for both our peace of minds. If they want to use an old tube...I let them do it and watch from across the shop. Had a buddy years back with maybe 8 patches on a tube..."It's still holding air" was his motto...I always mentioned that as he was repairing it again.:laugh

I am glad y'all got home and no safety issues from the flat...just sayin':scratch

The Metzler tech guys at the rally took a few minutes to help me solve a wear problem even though I didn't buy anything from them. And their advice worked.

Me too;

Not a wiseacre, but just when my tube bikes need tubes, I do it:). It would be a good seminar for many at a rally to learn the best way to do these, wouldn't it:). I've done all my tires, with few exceptions, for dozens of years. A good teacher in me:), so maybe I'll do just that in Redmond! A tube tire seminar:):) and/or even a valve stem on tubeless seminar, do it yourself....Happy Trails, Randy:usa:ca:thumb

Sounds good Pbear...always another way to skin a cat so to speak and I always learn something new,even on things like tire changing... We got rid of the only bike we still had with tubes, but still do one on occasion.

I have not pinched one in a long time(knocking on wood here) especially after my dad made me put away the flat bladed screwdrivers I was using on my Honda 90:nono He handed me those funny spoon things in his toolbox...DUH! He also never got them back as he reminded me a few years before he passed...

Back