• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Question?

msnden

I was wondering just how accurate the readings on the GPS are?
Does anyone know?, Mainly the MPH, when checking the readings on the Bike and all my other vehicles they all seem to be off, this information is probably in the owners manual which I have loaned out, Thanks
Den

mnnden said:
I was wondering just how accurate the readings on the GPS are?
Does anyone know?, Mainly the MPH, when checking the readings on the Bike and all my other vehicles they all seem to be off, this information is probably in the owners manual which I have loaned out, Thanks
Den

Garmin spec's +/- 0.10 MPH.. most people seem to consider the accuracy as MUCH better than the average speedometer, and MUCH MUCH better than BMW's speedometer. BMW speedos typically range from 1-10% fast (although the odometers are usually more accurate.)

Comparing my GPS speed reading to the road-side radar speed things - it appears to be dead on.

My GPS (Etrex Legend) is dead on with it's MPH readings. I even took it on the last plane ride I went on so I could mess around with it..the log page still shows my highest speed at 545 mph!! Pretty cool. The altimeter was reading 33,000 ft, too.

I've found my StreetPilot to be very accurate on position and speed data. The altitude is often out by a few meters though. Not usually a big deal since unlike an airplane, my bike tends to stay in contact with the ground. I had it hooked up to my laptop running MS Streets and Trips on a trip through Montreal (not on the bike). I could tell which lane of the road we were driving in on the display.

My Garmin GPSMap 60CS has been extremely accurate for speed. I actually use it rather than the speedo on my GS because the accuracy is so much better.

Oh man-I love that Garmin 60CS--color screen, BIG display, altimeter.......very nice package from Garmin-enjoy!!!

Back