• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Maintenance free battery

P

Had a maintenance free, completely sealed, no liquid, etc. battery advertised in BMWON on 16 Apr. Battery failed on 3 May. Have any others had similar experience with this battery?

Did it come with a warranty? The Panasonics come with a one-year warranty, and were $61 apiece shipped to our door from gotbatteries.com. They are sealed-lead-acid technology instead of AGM.....

Jon

Ah, so Profile can just return it for a new one. Good.

I had a brand-new lead acid battery drop a cell 50 miles from home once. Infant mortality still exists in just about everything.

I did talk to Jason at Westco. My battery is less than a month old and westco will stand by their product. Jason offered either a refund or a replacement battery. No complaints there. I,ll take the refund and put up with the BMW battery.

I have high hopes for the Panasonic. Standing voltage when I removed it from its packaging was 12.7V, and even after a test start to make sure the bike still worked, it was still around 12.3V. I put the Battery Tender on it to bring it back up, and the darn thing went to green in less than five minutes.

So yeah, I have some high hopes for these batteries.

FWIW Met a club member today who has westco's on all his bikes and his sail boat. He says the trick is to keep them on battery tenders when not in use. Swears he gets 6-7 years(!) out of them.

I had a panasonic in a R1100RT and had lots of trouble with the ABS, changed to a regular BMW batt and that help. It seems soom bikes are very voltage sensitive. Our K75RT has a Westco and no problems. Ivy

jdiaz, what was the battery voltage after fully charging. I had heard that the voltage on these batteries is lower than a standard lead acid battery.

Well, after a full charge (ie, light turns green on the Battery Tender), I think it was back at 12.7v again.

Back