• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MEZ6 vs Pilot Roads

PWITTSTRUCK

Just finnishing off my 2nd set of Pilot Roads and am looking for any input regarding them versus the MEZ6. I've gotten a little over 8,000 miles out of the Roads and have no complaints with them. Has anyone out there had a chance to compare the two tires?

I have no experience with the Road Pilots, but I have 4000 Kms on my Z6s now, about 3000 of that was in wet and rain last week from Calgary through Montana, Idaho, Washington, BC and back to Calgary. The Z6s are certainly stickier in the wet than the Z4s I had before them were, in fact they are about the best tire I've ever had in wet conditions. So far they seem like a good tire, but time will tell for sure. I'll have to wait to see how long they last before I can pass final judgement on them..

Hey Pete;
My husband just replaced his first set of MEZ6s at about 12,000 miles and loved them, so he put on another set. He put them on my bike in July and I think they are a significant improvement over the Pilot Roads I had before. So I think you'll find you can get a lot more miles out of the MEZ6 than the Pilot Road and the handling is excellent.

I just noted a report from a BMW KGT owner who did not feel very confident with the MEZ6's in more aggressive curves... could tell the harder compound wasn't as planted.

I ride regularly with a Honda VFR owner who wanted a longer lasting tire. He bought MEZ6's and he hates them... continually noting how he is skipping around and can't ride in a spirited manner at all. He's tried all kinds of air pressure changes and other fixes to no avail.

Now these are Colorado riders with challenging and twisty roads. Could be less of an issue elsewhere. I have no personal experience with MEZ6's, but I'm very confident and pleased with the Pilot Roads on my R1100S.

I started out with the Bridgestone's that came on my 04RT and changed them at 8,000 miles for the new Z6's. I changed the Bridgestone's out early since I had an opportunity to make a track day and felt they were nearing the end of their life, give or take another couple of thousand miles.

I used up about 70 miles on the new Z6's between getting them home from the dealer and riding to the track to get them scrubbed in and for me there was a huge difference right away. The bike turned much better for sure.

I've since been to Spokane and back and now have about 8,000 miles on them and they're still in good shape. Maybe I'm not agresive enough, but they've held the road fine at all times.

For those times in turns when the back is starting to slip or slightly washing, I just keep on the gas thinking eventually they'll grab on to something.

My guess is I should be able to get 12k miles on them and when it's time for some new tires, I'd have no problem getting another set of Z6's for sure.

Wow I am impressed. How did you folk get so many miles out of the Z6's? I put a pair on in Anchorage, Alaska and rode home to Mn ( about 4300 miles ). My back tire was squared off and pretty much toast. I ran it at 41 psi for the trip - solo carrying about 80 lbs worth of gear. I had two different shops look at the tires and confirm they were done before I replaced them. Front could of gone a couple thousand more.

edge51 said:
I ran it at 41 psi for the trip - solo carrying about 80 lbs worth of gear. I had two different shops look at the tires and confirm they were done before I replaced them.

Maybe it was the road surface on your Alaska trip ? The 5200 mile trip to Spokane had the bike fully loaded and the tires are still fine. I ran them at 42 rear and 40 front.

Attachments

• dsc00282.jpg
    dsc00282.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 765
Got a set of Z-6 Metzlers on my 1150 RT in July just before the rally. I now have 9,200 on them and they still look good. Wife got a set of road pilots at the same time on her 1150R. She has got 6,200 on them now and they still look good. I would say that they look about the same as the Z-6s. I would have to say that I would give the edge to the Z-6s since they have 3,000 more miles than the pilot roads. Yes there is flattening of both sets of rear tires. Slight cupping on both sets of front tires. Most of our riding is straight with some twisties. Hey, we live in Iowa, not the rockies. I run 40 lbs in front and 41-42 in the rear on both sets of tires. I check the pressures often. I believe that I will go for another set of Z-6s when I am ready for a change.

I've never had a set of Pilots but, I've had the Macadam 100's and a set of D205's and all I can say is that the Z6's are hands down the best tire I've had on the bike. Wet or dry. I'm at about 3500 miles and they are still looking good and handling like the day they were installed. I'll definitly be getting another set when these expire.

sfarson said:
I just noted a report from a BMW KGT owner who did not feel very confident with the MEZ6's in more aggressive curves... could tell the harder compound wasn't as planted.

I ride regularly with a Honda VFR owner who wanted a longer lasting tire. He bought MEZ6's and he hates them... continually noting how he is skipping around and can't ride in a spirited manner at all. He's tried all kinds of air pressure changes and oter fixes to no avail.

I don't know what these riders are talking about? I had a great time last weekend tossing my K1200RS around JenningsGP racetrack with some fairly new Z6's. They were great! NEVER, EVER, felt that the tire wasn't up to the task. And they ride well in the rain!

Attached picture is of the rear Z6 after being abused at the track all day. It's still in great shape, though I doub't I'll get 12,000 miles out of it like some others have posted.

Overall tire feel is excellent, and they offer great feel throughout the entire life of the tire.

I'm certainly going to purchase the Z6's again.

Attachments

• jennings after.jpg
    jennings after.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 533
Mixing MEZ6 with Macadam 100x

Anyone have any Cassandra warnings about mixing a (new) MEZ6 front with a Michelin Macadam 100X on the rear? The rear still has quite a bit left.

sfarson said:

I ride regularly with a Honda VFR owner who wanted a longer lasting tire. He bought MEZ6's and he hates them... continually noting how he is skipping around and can't ride in a spirited manner at all. He's tried all kinds of air pressure changes and other fixes to no avail.

Now these are Colorado riders with challenging and twisty roads. Could be less of an issue elsewhere. I have no personal experience with MEZ6's, but I'm very confident and pleased with the Pilot Roads on my R1100S.

I've gone through two sets of Pilot Roads on my K1200RS. Many of those miles at sustained extra-legal speeds. Very nice tire which I would use again, but for the wierd front wear pattern. I got a flat spot right down the center (like you'd ground it with a belt sander) and to each side the tread was worn down and scooped out. Destroyed the handling well before the tread was gone.

Just put on a set of Z6's. Have less than 100 miles, but about half of that is through twisties and my first reaction is VERY positive. The bike feels much lighter but is just as or more stable. Especially easy to change or adjust your line in a corner.

I live in Idaho and we have some pretty impressive mountains as well, so corner handling is big with me. If the Z6's prove as good after a few hunderd miles as they have so far, I've found my new standard tire for the K12RS.

Z6's

I put a set of the 6's on my 1150 RS and got about 8,400 miles of what I would call pretty spirited riding.....made a trip to the Gap and back and then another to Savannah GA on 2 laners and the tires were great. I probably could have stretched them at least another thousand miles but was planning another trip down to No Geargia and wanted fresh tires so replaced with another set. I live in No Illinois were you can usually park your bike without any stand after about 4,000 miles and these kept shape just fine...at the Falling Leaf rally the tires had about 7,500 miles on them a they rolled into corners just like they did when new...and no cupping. Just put a set on my RT 2 weeks ago and boy, what a difference. I think it's a great tire.....

Back