• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Rally is not over for me

kltsteve

I just got a friendly notice from the city of Jonesborough, which totally presumes my guilt, for an alleged red light infraction. All they want is $88, or for me to turn in the real rider of my scoot, or a request for a hearing.
I live in FL, so a hearing may not be practical.
I'm wondering if anyone else had this happen, as the directions to the Snake had us going SOUTH on the road to Jonesborough, rather than north to Elizabethtown.
Any advice on how to deal with this issue?
Thanks, Steve

Pay it!

Florida will get the notice and your drivers license will be on hold at your next renewal, otherwise. They will get you, either way:(. Sorry. Most states have reciprocity now a days. You can check to see if Florida has this with Tennessee and if they DO NOT, you're FREE. Its most probable, they do:( and you're hooked, like a fish on a long line! Randy:eat:drink:blush

Happened to a friend a few years. Florida does reciprocate. It's a scam of course. They know you won't appear. If you pay, you'll get the points. Find a traffic attorney in Jonesborough. It'll cost you about $100 but he'll fix the ticket.

alan
www.MotoEuro.org

Happened to a friend a few years. Florida does reciprocate. It's a scam of course. They know you won't appear. If you pay, you'll get the points. Find a traffic attorney in Jonesborough. It'll cost you about $100 but he'll fix the ticket.

alan
www.MotoEuro.org

I don't think you get points with the cameras(if I recall correctly when the legislation was passed). You just get the fine.

I retain a traffic court agent for all our family tickets. It's money well spent, especially with a teen age driver involved.

Osbornek-
Thanks for your response. I did a web search and found:

"The citations are considered non-moving violations and there are no points assessed against the licenses and are not reported to the state or the insurance company. The tickets will cost $50.00. If a person wants to contest the violation and the case is heard by a judge and found liable (guilty), the cost will be $135.75"

They had the above info and more at the following site:

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2009/04/20/red-light-cameras-will-soon-be-online/

My revenue squeeze is $88.75.

Thanks again

Florida will get the notice and your drivers license will be on hold at your next renewal, otherwise. They will get you, either way:(. Sorry. Most states have reciprocity now a days. You can check to see if Florida has this with Tennessee and if they DO NOT, you're FREE. Its most probable, they do:( and you're hooked, like a fish on a long line! Randy:eat:drink:blush

Yup - Florida has reciprocity, so ignoring the ticket in TN will have consequences in FL.

Also (as it works here in WI), any failure to pay a forfeiture results in a Bench Warrant issued for your arrest. If TN operates that way, any traveling thru TN will always be as 'a wanted man' until you take care of the ticket anyways.

You requested advice: Let's see............

Messed up.....got caught.....take responsibility.....pay ticket.....lesson learned.....move on.

Or, the American way of dealing with mistakes: Hire attorney.....accept no personal responsibility.....'fix' the ticket.....bragging rights about how justice was circumvented.....move on.

Your choice. :lurk

Messed up.....got caught.....take responsibility.....pay ticket.....lesson learned.....move on.

Or, the American way of dealing with mistakes: Hire attorney.....accept no personal responsibility.....'fix' the ticket.....bragging rights about how justice was circumvented.....move on.

Your choice. :lurk

Right on.

Osbornek-
Thanks for your response. I did a web search and found:

"The citations are considered non-moving violations and there are no points assessed against the licenses and are not reported to the state or the insurance company. The tickets will cost $50.00. If a person wants to contest the violation and the case is heard by a judge and found liable (guilty), the cost will be $135.75"

They had the above info and more at the following site:

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2009/04/20/red-light-cameras-will-soon-be-online/

My revenue squeeze is $88.75.

Thanks again

If I recall, if you contest it and are found guilty, then the violation is reported to the state and insurance company. They give you a lot of reasons not to contest the ticket.

Can we say "revenue enhancement"? Oh, I thought we could.
What a crock of pure unfiltered extortionism. This is venal BS at it's purest. Of course, what choice is there but pay up?

This is horseshit politics at it's finest.

"...break the law you've got to pay your dues, be much better if you played it by the rules, no parking baby, no parking on the dance floor..."

- Midnight Star, No Parking On The Dance Floor

A CHEAP lesson;

This is indeed a cheap one at 88$, because I've looked recently where I live in CA and they get 300$ and up for this "same violation" at many many cities out here. A real bargain, in your case:). I find CA. sickening in these regards as they really prod the public out here, with exceedingly HIGH fines for anything. A state in trouble, with its 50 Billion $$$ deficit. Come to CA and expect to pay! Be WARNED...Randy:banghead:violin

Fight back!

These "camera" tickets are a travesty and are dangerous. Further it is BIG BRO watching. IF enough LOCAL citizens protest they are oft times removed, as they were here in a couple of Des Moines suburbs. Unfortunately for you, as a tourist ,you're easy money and an easy target. I'd contest the ticket regardless, as suggested here elsewhere. California, as referred to by Polar Bear is a rip off state concerning tickets. It devours it's young....and old.

I once received a citation in Colorado, hired an attorney and got it much reduced. Well worth the attorney fee,

They were here;

Removed in my California town of Clovis, Fresno area, as they were a real controversial item. I'm not sure the exact reason they came down, but did indeed come down, or turned off. SIGNs are posted all around the state cities, however, posting the fine amounts at (first time offenders)300$ plus at most locations around CA..for red light violations. Its about revenue and cities without big gov't funds(grants) coming in....SO, we pay!!!, for minute offenses out here. OF course, some red light violators are quite dangerous, so maybe the fine is "somewhat" waranted. I'm finding the fine structures around to be quite HIGH in most cases, for the above revenue reasons. More tax/fines are better for keeping your local gov't happy and spending! I am lucky, so far to be free of this for years now:), no violations....Randy:thumb

These "camera" tickets are a travesty and are dangerous. Further it is BIG BRO watching. Unfortunately for you, as a tourist ,you're easy money and an easy target. I'd contest the ticket regardless, as suggested here elsewhere.

I once received a citation in Colorado, hired an attorney and got it much reduced. Well worth the attorney fee,

There's one little point that nobody has mentioned. Was he or could he have been guilty? If they have a picture of him running the light, it might be wiser to pay up and chalk it down as a lesson learned. They might be willing to e-mail a copy of the picture.

I don't think the cameras should ever be used and should be outlawed but we have to work with the situation as it is.

KEN

My .02...I hate the cameras, but not as much as the red light runners. Austin,TX is trying them as a "wake up " call more than revenue enhancement. They have installed them at heavily known dangerous intersections. I avoid those areas anyways... It is controversial only to those who run them IMHO. The city is way up there on the national list of fatalities and incidents of red light runners..in Texas,yellow means haul ass. I am sure it is where you live as well.
I have had my share of questionable speeding on the highway tickets, but running lights ,especially on a two wheeler is not in my gamebook. Yes, there may be some very short cycled lights, but yellow still doesn't mean to haul ass. Have seen too many near misses too close to me. Had several city trucks with my employees t-boned from them, one flipping a 2 ton bucket truck,luckily not hurting the employees.

If the camera shows you and the red light...how ya gonna question that? Pay the ticket and move on.

Darn right, Steve.
On the way to Pontiac this weekend we were pulling up to a 4-way. From my right here comes a trike, I see him, we are waiting. Right through the stop sign he goes like he's immortal. Cameras, schmameras. If they catch one bad guy I say it's a good thing. Those who oppose have their day in court. In some countries you wouldn't even get the chance to plea.

I think I'm done.

I agree about the need to stop red light runners.

However, the experience in neighboring town Capitola-by-the-Sea is that the red light cameras are difficult to set up and keep correctly set up. If not properly set, they trigger on right turners, on left turners with an arrow, and even people who stop a bit before the limit line and then creep forward. As the cameras are operated by a third party who sends the results to the city, I don't want to be judged by them.

I agree about the need to stop red light runners.

However, the experience in neighboring town Capitola-by-the-Sea is that the red light cameras are difficult to set up and keep correctly set up. If not properly set, they trigger on right turners, on left turners with an arrow, and even people who stop a bit before the limit line and then creep forward. As the cameras are operated by a third party who sends the results to the city, I don't want to be judged by them.

Improperly set up cameras are a different issue than red light cameras themselves. Another issue is when the timing of the lights is changed when the cameras are installed. When you have been using the same route for years, you get accustomed to the timing of the lights and how long it takes them to go from green to yellow to red. If they dramatically change the timing, you can easily run a red light due to habit. The cameras are sold to the public as a safety enhancement but in reality, they are simply revenue enhancers. In almost all cases, the cameras increase accidents. They do change from accidents from intersection accidents to rear enders.

Ken

Improperly set up cameras are a different issue than red light cameras themselves. Another issue is when the timing of the lights is changed when the cameras are installed. When you have been using the same route for years, you get accustomed to the timing of the lights and how long it takes them to go from green to yellow to red. If they dramatically change the timing, you can easily run a red light due to habit. The cameras are sold to the public as a safety enhancement but in reality, they are simply revenue enhancers. In almost all cases, the cameras increase accidents. They do change from accidents from intersection accidents to rear enders.

+1!

One town in the Dallas metro area had to turn theirs off, as some concerned citizens found that the yellow lights had been shortened by 50% at intersections with cameras.

Also in most (bot NOT all) cases, the cities do not seek out cameras- the companies that run them sell them to money-hungry municipal governments.

Some European countries have radically reduced intersection incursions by setting their traffic signals to not turn green until a second AFTER the intersecting street's signals have turned red, or in other words, all lights are red for second before any turn green. It's very successful and it works a treat. US traffic engineers refuse to believe that it could possibly work, claiming that it would really screw up traffic-flow and essentially be the end of the world on our streets. As usual, the rest of the world outsmarts us and we just stick our collective head in the sand of denial.

Back