• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but..

Fred Trimble
I'm going on a trip next month with a buddy and we're thinking of hauling the bikes on a trailer part way.... (waits for the scorn from the members). :hide I have never loaded a bike on a trailer before and need some advice on how to strap them down. My buddy's bike only has a side stand (it's a HD). I will be riding a R1200RT. I searched the site and only found one hit with the search term 'trailer', so it appears I have to subject myself to ridicule.

So, compress the forks & rear suspension? Sidestand or centerstand for my bike? How do I keep them from moving forward or backward? Any other things I should be aware of? Thanks for any help.

it's cool man, no worries, i trucked my bike to the rally last month.

tele-levers strap down a bit differently in the front than a standard telescopic fork, but the basic idea is that the front does nearly all the work, a strap across the back is just to keep the rear end from moving around, it's not even all that necessary. no sidestand or centerstand should be used.

Not that I know from experience but the people on the BMW sporttouring site occasionally trailer there bikes...:whistle

http://www.brownmotorworks.net/Service_stuff/tiedown2.pdf

These instructions and pictures will fix you right up.

If I were to ever trailer my bike I would use a screw lock carabiner instead of the "S" hook (on the tie down). You can ususlly slide the carabiner into the sewn loop on the tie down. Then once secured to the soft strap your bike will be very secure. Another tip, Walmart has a 2-pack of soft straps for $6, they are $17 a pair at the motorcycle store.

Your Harley buddy should have all kinds of trailering stuff!:D

Suffering the indignity

We trailered our bikes two weeks ago to western PA where we dropped off the truck, trailer and dog with family to continue on to Mid Ohio. It would have cost me $800 to have someone watch the dog at our house while we were gone but dropping him with family was free.

Oh the indignity as we trailer our way down the road passing HD riders who were actually riding!

Seriously, we all do what we must. If reasons prevent you from riding, load the bikes and go.

Thanks for the tips and lack of, um, :lol, guys. RiderRob, your tip is what I was looking for.

A Useful TIP:)

If you're using a wooden floor trailer, NO bike rails? Use 2"x4"sx8' and "deck screw" them to the floor for rails(for the tires) and this makes the bikes much more secure from sliding sideways. I do this and its perfect on my trailer. An open utility trailer. The wooden rails remove so easy when no bikes are hauled:). Randy

Just a couple of final thoughts. Years ago I trailered for two seasons when I was doing amateur roadracing.

Be sure that the tie-downs are good quality and NOT worn. It never hurts to double up on the front ones (two per side) but it does hurt if you only use one per side and one fails.

Once on the road, stop a few times and give everything a once over (kinda' common sense). Things tend to move around.

Good luck.

If trailering is what it takes to get there and start riding Just Do It!
swoosh-1.jpg

Get a couple chocks for the front wheels and bolt them to the trailer deck. Put eyes on the deck so you can use tie downs to keep the front wheel in the chock. No centerstand, no sidestand, the chock should hold the bike vertical.

I use a Baxley chock. I run the tie downs from the handlebars to the eyes.

For extra points, use eyes at the rear of the bike to keep the back of the bike from flopping around.

I trailered the K75RT I bought in Southern california to Oregon. A few days before
I left, I came across a front wheel chock at Harbour Freight for $29. I bolted it to
the plywood floor. You can ride the bike right up into it and it automatically locks
the front tire in,and you can get off the bike without any straps on it and then
strap it down. Besides straping it down, I also screwed some 2X4's along the
sides of the rear wheel. I will never trailer a bike again without that front wheel
chock, as far as trailering a bike, it was the best thing I could have bought.

Open trailer and web straps, rain;

The web straps also get looser when they get wet, as in rain, so beware and check them if they get wet. Use "soft ties"(webbing), found at most bike shops, to avoid "hooking" directly to your pretty parts of the bikes. Do not use covers on the bikes and I've seen it. It ruins the covers. Randy

Heidi and I have a Haulmark enclosed trailer that will accomodate 2 and sometimes 3 bikes.

We ditched the chocks that came with the trailer and installed a set from Condor. You ride/push the bike into the condor and the front wheel is locked. The bike remains upright. We use a couple of straps from the rear to the front to keep tension, pulling the bike forward, along with a couple of straps to each side to keep the rear of the bike in place.

There are various models available from condor, and they can be used with trailers, on the floor in your garage, etc. Very handy item and worth the $$
You can find info at :

www.condor-lift.com

bob still

So, compress the forks & rear suspension? Sidestand or centerstand for my bike? How do I keep them from moving forward or backward? Any other things I should be aware of? Thanks for any help.

Compress slightly ONLY the front fork, one strap for each side, not rear suspension. You can tie a strap on the rear sides, so it doesn't bounce around so much, but no compression.
NEVER, put a bike on any kind of stand, center or side.
Should have a chock securely mounted on the trailer for each bike.
Little tip,... don't have the fuel tanks full.
Be safe and have fun.

I would recommend a Wheel Lock brand or a Condor wheel hold. I have the Wheel Lock brand. I am very impressed with the assurance knowing that my bike is not going too fall off the trailer.
There is nothing wrong with trailering. It is whatever makes YOU comfortable. I use my trailer to haul the bike to the dealer for definative repair. Nobody should insult you for trailering.

Take Care & Ride Safe
Pat Carol

Just a couple of final thoughts. Years ago I trailered for two seasons when I was doing amateur roadracing.

Be sure that the tie-downs are good quality and NOT worn. It never hurts to double up on the front ones (two per side) but it does hurt if you only use one per side and one fails.

Once on the road, stop a few times and give everything a once over (kinda' common sense). Things tend to move around.

Good luck.
Also ,tie a loop with the extra strap .Sometimes it helps or gives you a little extra peice of mind.Take the strap that is hanging out and tie a loop below the release.This way if the release slips,you have something to catch it.

Here is a method for the 'tele-levered' impaired bike:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGg4KThVkJI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGg4KThVkJI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back