• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ontario and radar detectors???

R

RTFlyer

I'll be leaving for the Loonie rally in Trenton ON next week and would like to have my radar detector along for the US portion of my trip. I know that they are illegal in Canada, and I have no problem with removing it and stashing it in a bag or pannier while driving there. I've seen that they can confiscate them if they find them. Does anyone have any real-world experience with this?? Do they really search? And would they confiscate one kept in a pannier and not being used?

I plan on returning through upstate NY then meandering unpredictably for a few days. I'd rather leave it at home than lose it, but I'd like to have it for use where it's legal.

...and please, I'm not in need of a lecture about speeding, etc...I'll admit right now that I do like to twist the throttle from time to time. There are other threads where this already being debated.

You'll have to do a little side trip to Saskatchewan, Alberta, and B.C., if you want to use it legally. :)

According to Radarbusters.com, it is the use of them that is illegal in the other provinces.

They are not illegal in all of Canada.
Three provinces that allow their use are Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

( I type to slow)

I"m only going to Ontario, and unfortunately the statute reads that, "No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device." It further continues that an officer may confiscate the device, and the fine will be between $100-$1000.:jawdrop

I'm just looking for any real-world experience or advice. I can live without it if I have to.

Good research, Larry. That statutory wording would certainly cover confiscation for just having possession.

On a recent cross Canada endurance run, the Ducati rider, Gary Eagan, had his detector confiscated by police during a fuel stop in Ontario.

Ontario and Radar

I was there last week. I took it offf and the top of the Legal Speeding Case and put both in my bags. You would have to a real bike afficianado to know what the bottom was. They are not going to search your bags unless something else is up.

I"m only going to Ontario, and unfortunately the statute reads that, "No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device." It further continues that an officer may confiscate the device, and the fine will be between $100-$1000.:jawdrop

I'm just looking for any real-world experience or advice. I can live without it if I have to.

Do yourself a favor and leave it at home!

They have radar detector detectors!

They can and will confiscate the unit and the fine is a heafty one as well.

Darryl

I've never used one in Canada, but have been to the Atlantic Provinces with it and without it stashed in the luggage. It'd be painful to lose it, but it's potentially more painful to ride in New England without it.

Radar detector

I had one in a Porsche and did not use it in Ontario (where I live), but was stupid enough to leave the bracket on the windshield, and was pulled over....I forget the repercussion as it was some 10 years ago, but it was not nice...:blush

Back