• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding in Ontario

ROLLIFAHRER

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me info on Highway 11?

I'm riding from Eganville to Thunder Bay, sleeping in Hearst.

I've done 17 along the lake a couple times. What is the landscape and riding like on 11.

It looks a bit lonely up there; any trouble getting gas due to stations closing or wierd hours? (I had a close call in Manitoba on 17, so I'm guessing 11 could be tricky in places.)

Is the speed limit 100 km/hr?

Good chance of seeing bear and moose?

Thanks,

Yes it does look lonely between those small towns. I quickly looked at Google Earth and there are gas stations along the #11, but you may need a 1 gallon container with gas, just in case the info in not that up to date. Likely you will encounter moose/deer especially if you ride at night. Who cares about the speed limit, I don't think that there is much enforcement along those roads, its likely best to go slow and conserve gas. I've never driven that route, but sounds like you'll have some time to meditate.;)

Yes it does look lonely between those small towns. I quickly looked at Google Earth and there are gas stations along the #11, but you may need a 1 gallon container with gas, just in case the info in not that up to date. Likely you will encounter moose/deer especially if you ride at night. Who cares about the speed limit, I don't think that there is much enforcement along those roads, its likely best to go slow and conserve gas. I've never driven that route, but sounds like you'll have some time to meditate.;)

Thanks for the info. I got a ticket in rural Alberta from a Mounty going the opposite direction. He turned around and tracked me down. I was thinking they needed more bank robberies and murders up there to give them something else to do, but in hindsight, I'll pay tickets in exchange peace, quiet and safety.

I'm wondering if any sections have ridiculously slow speed limits to allow enough time to be off the road by dark. Saw a bear on the 17 in daylight; hoping for the same on this ride.

Thanks again,

Follow up

Did the ride 2 up. Let me recommend the following:

East end of Lake Ontario: visit the Stockdale Mill (1614 Stockdale Rd, Stockdale, Quinet West). An old grist mill and cider mill refurbished as a home, guest rooms, bistro, gallery, yoga venue. Artsy, but not fartsy if fartsy means pretensious. A former biz bud bailed on the rat race and started this cool little joint w his lady friend/biz part.

Mattawa: GREAT breakfast at Valois overlooking the Ottawa River. Nice view, good food, big portions.

Check gas before riding between Hearst and Longlac. it's only 200 KM, but there are no warning signs and nothing out there except trucks. All the way to Hearst there were plenty of "gas bars" as well as vacationers towing boats, PWC, ATV with extra gas cans. Nothing but trucks both ways from Hearst on. I ran low and followed a slow truck to stretch mileage.

Temperance River Gorge: An hour or so north of Duluth. Water carved a deep but narrow gorge in solid rock. Parking right along the road; foot path and bridge within a couple hundred yards. One of the best quick stops ever!

Speed limits on 11 were mostly 90 (~55) some 80 (~50), but a reasonably safe speed is 120 (~65). Many go faster, but a surpising number run the speed limit way out in nowhere. (Pardon my conversions.) I made reservations to help stay on schedule, but motels are plentiful and mostly lonely.

Both border crossings were quick w no hassle.

If I had more time, I would spend it around Eganville and Nipigon.

Like comfort food? The ultimate has to be poutine. Real French fries (French style vs. the typical US fastfood version) piled high, covered with either cheese curds (French) or mozzarella (typical) then doused in rich brown gravy. Perfect at the end of a cool, wet ride. (Temps low 50's and 6 hours of showers and mist.) We split one; waaay more carbs and fat than we typically eat, but we slept really well. Then we split a sheppard's pie: hamburger, corn mashed potatos and of course gravy. Did I mention we slept really well that night?

I had a cell signal in every town, but when I tried to call out up on 11, a recording in French came on, so I forgot about biz and enjoyed the ride even more.

This turned into more of a ride report, but Ontario around the lakes is a gem of the midwest.

Last edited:
Back