• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nothing Important.......

Rapid_Roy

.........I just love my R50.
That is all.:ha
P7240006.jpg

I love the way it smells like hot oil when I stop.
I love the fact I upgraded it to 12V. I can ride at night! Who knew?
I love that it starts on 1 kick, even when I neglected it for almost 3 months.
I love that the handlebars are low and wide.
I love Earles Forks.
I love that it makes me look huge!
I love that it has 2 lights and a speedometer to look at, I am easily confused.
I love how it feels like a big ol' rubber cloud when I am riding down the road.
I love how one (or both) of my boots smell like gas because the carbs are from 1955.
I love that it has 3 more horsepower than my lawnmower.
I love that it has a toolkit and a tire pump. I hope I never need them.
I love that the only storage is a tiny well in the gas tank, which holds the tool kit and maybe a tennis ball (if you wanted)
I just freakin' love it!
If I crash riding it, it will take the surgeons several hours to get the smile off my face.
Edit: One I forgot,from barryg:It's total chick magnet.

(Needs a carb synch though :bluduh )

:ha
:wave

Last edited:
Carb sync's easy. I did my R50 by eyeball and it worked quite well. Just remove the downtubes from the air filter so you can get back and look at both carb slides at the same time (helps if you're crosseyed!) Make sure the idle speed screws are set equally by screwing them out and then back in to just where they start moving the slides. Remove any slack from the cables then, while you're looking at the carbs, slowly open the throttle and adjust the cables 'till the throttle moves both at the same time. Start her up and check the idle. If too slow then screw the idle speed screws in THE SAME AMOUNT to increase idle speed. If too fast, do the opposite. This technique assumes idle mixture is ok.

Thanks all, but it wasn't a cry for help. I know how to adjust valves, and synch carbs.
I just wanted everybody to know it wasn't perfect.

I got it back from my mechanic last year, and I am lucky if I put 200 miles on it.
I changed the oil and kept it charged up, and I have been riding it for short trips.
I just remembered that it idled better than it is. If it's valves, I would be sorely disappointed with the rebuild. It's fine at speeds, so I am thinking just an idle adjustment. I may check the valves if, that doesn't fix it.

Yup, in the firearms collecting fraternity, we would say those bikes have a "High Fondle Factor"................Beautiful!.................

I disagree with you heartily Roy -- I think this is very important indeed!

You've itemized many of the reasons why we love these old bikes!

It's a vacuum gauge. You remove the air induction tubes and hold one up to each carb. Then you can compare readings. You need a third hand to twist the throttle, to see if the cables are synched correctly.

<i>I love that it starts on 1 kick, even when I neglected it for almost 3 months.</i>

So true. My white 1967 R60/2 started on one kick after sitting for eight (8) months. She laughs off abuse.

weiss3.jpg

For perfect carb synchronizing, the EMPI Universal Carburetor Sync (you need two):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=711883
Thank you.:wave
I will look into those, or take it to Glen, if I am feeling rich and lazy.:laugh
I will add, it took two to start it up after winter on gas from the snowblower.
I forgot to twist the throttle a little.
:blush
The R69S at 2Wheel Tuesday last night, started up on 1 kick also, the owner and I made eye contact and we knew, and we didn't have to explain.
My brother was on his R90/6 and I told him real men kick start their rides.

The kick-start on the 1980 Yamaha triple that sold when I bought my airhead is one of the main things I miss about it. The other being 3 cylinders.

I disagree with you heartily Roy -- I think this is very important indeed!

You've itemized many of the reasons why we love these old bikes!

:laugh It just seemed to flow from my keyboard.

I see this on HD shirts all over South Eastern Wisconsin, they make me laugh.
"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand!"

EDIT: She is also idling better, could have been the gas. I should check inside the tank, just to see whats going on.

Last edited:
I rode a friends R50/2 yesterday. I was all smiles. Most important is it's a total chick magnet. That is all.

Back