Thread: Zumo 550 Stolen at the Bush Beans Tour

Hybrid View

Zumo 550 Stolen at the Bush Beans Tour

While I was attending the Bush Beans factory tour at the BMWMOA Rally, someone stole my Zumo 550 from my motorcycle. I have reported the theft of this unit to Garmin and the Zumo Forum and to my insurance company.

I would like to think that it was not one of the attendees from the BMWMOA who performed this dastardly act.

I am posting this in hopes that anyone who might purchase a used Garmin would check the serial numbers with Garmin and the Zumo Forums.

The serial number is 171019423, in case anyone runs across it.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Zumo, that really sucks. I have the same unit, as hundres of others do also but I was wondering if the only thing that was protecting it was what Zumo refers to as the Security screw and if so what does everyone else do for security for this item? I hope it is recovered.
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

Security Setting?

Sorry to hear about your loss.
    At least they will have a hard time getting it in useful condition if the security settings were in place.

lock

The 550 allows setting a locking code that would have to be entered at startup EXCEPT when you are at your "security location". That would typically be where you would start from (eg your home or storage area). You do have to be able to get a satellite signal at that location.

sorry to here about your loss. it may take me a little longer at rest stops but i always remove my zumo and lock it up if i am going to be out of site of the bike.

Thanks, guys.

I had the unit secured with a Touratech locking mount. Whoever stole it, either picked the lock on the mount or had an exact match for the key. I called Touratech and they told me they (Touratech) only use 30 different variations of keys for this mount, so anyone who has one could have tried their key to see if it would unlock.

When I examined the Garmin cradle mount, I discovered the release mechanism had a scratch at the very top of the locking portion of the plastic mount that was not there before.

It looks like they got the Touratech mount open and then were confused as to how to release the plastic Garmin cradle to free the GPS unit and tried to pry it open with a tool.

In the past, I usually removed the Zumo and locked it in my saddle bag. I thought the Touratech mount would deter any theft. Now I know it does not.

My new Zumo will definitely come along with me in its carrying case when I have to park the bike.

It's too bad that you have to do that, but I have learned my lesson. A determined thief can defeat any lock.

Self Removed
    Oh man, I hate to hear this. Sadly locks only keep the honest people out. Got to go to a lecture with Lois Pryce this week and she talked about having nothing stolen from London to South Africa. Shame you had something stolen from folks here.

Along the Banks of the Ohio River in Madison Indiana
    My father told me one time that the only souls that you can trust have
    stones above them.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I always worry about this when I'm out of sight of my bike on a trip.

By reporting the unit's ID number to Garmin if the low-life ever tries to get software or map updates it'll be locked out and they'll report back to you. Most likely it'll end up on eBay or Craigslist. The new owner will try to register it and then they'll see it. I saw one person got theirs back!
    Last edited by DPeakMD; 08-03-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Oops see you've already done it
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

On my K bike I have a GPS, satellite radio, and radar detector all mounted on a shelf that makes them very visible. When traveling it is a pain to remove them every time I'm going to be away from the bike. I pack a small bike cover in the top box and throw it on the bike when I stop.

No it won't prevent things from getting stolen, but it does prevent someone from walking by the bike and seeing all those expensive toys sitting there just waiting to be ripped off. If they don't see them, they don't get any ideas about stealing them.
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

Bummer. Like you, I would hope that it wasn't one of our own that took it.
    Ride Well

Getting lost...
    fastdogs2, which tour group were you in, the first or second? Just curious. That's really rotten.

Yes, I also would like to know which of the three groups you were in. I was in group two. I thought the parking was very secure, with people around at all times. I left my Zumo on my bike and never gave it a thought.

Covers:)

A simple bike cover goes a long way towards deterent, as i see it. I too leave mine uncovered, but this story makes me try harder to cover mine in the future. Out of sight, out of mind. Some local lowlife has a thrill on you/us as a group. Simpleton is a good word, keeping it clean! I find it difficult to think another rider would even consider it. We're just too tight knit to rip one another off, I hope. I would support any rider, riding any bike anywhere as a brother/sister, not so low to steal from 'em. I think we're all here..... Randy

I was in the first tour group. We were inside the plant for about 35 minutes.