• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike to Bike Radio Recommendations

The amateur radios are a no no unless you are both licensed.

Just to be clear...FRS radios do not require an FCC license and may not be modified to increase range or signal strenght (boosting output or attaching external antennas) and shouldn't need to be when used as bike-to-bike comms. GMRS radios do require a license and may be modified.

I'm not sure what an amateur radio is by deifnition.:scratch

I have a Scala Q2 and it's adequate. I would go with a Starcom set-up if I had it to do over again.

Wife and I have been using Starcom 1 Advance and ICOM F21GM radios and are very happy with the operation of both. So here is another vote for Starcom.
Larry

Just to be clear...FRS radios do not require an FCC license and may not be modified to increase range or signal strenght (boosting output or attaching external antennas) and shouldn't need to be when used as bike-to-bike comms. GMRS radios do require a license and may be modified.

I'm not sure what an amateur radio is by deifnition.:scratch

I have a Scala Q2 and it's adequate. I would go with a Starcom set-up if I had it to do over again.

VHF 144-148 mHz
222-225 mHz
UHF 420-450 mHz

You can not transmit on any of these frequencies unless you have a Ham Radio license. The license is pretty easy to get but you will have to take a rest and have a call sign issued by the FCC.

VHF 144-148 mHz
222-225 mHz
UHF 420-450 mHz

You can not transmit on any of these frequencies unless you have a Ham Radio license. The license is pretty easy to get but you will have to take a rest and have a call sign issued by the FCC.

In addition to the frequency allocations which are various from below 1MHz to above 1.2 GHz, amateurs may design, build, and use their own equipment...receivers and transmitters.

The Scala Q2 works well enough for me and is easily transferred to another rider / passenger.

PLUS, my iPhone connects to my Zumo 550, and the Q2 connects to that.

The range is at least 1000 ft or more.

Voice quality is excellent and load enough that I can hear through my Big Ears hearing protection.

Music quality SUCKS!!!! Forget music, don't think about music... completely SUCKS!

Otherwise, simple, easy, affordable and they work.

RobStar

I think youÔÇÖre going to be disappointed with the useable range on any of the handheld FRS/GMRS radios using the stock rubber antenna, I was. The remedy was to purchase a 4 watt Kenwood GMRS running through an Autocom and a Maxrad 3dB gain non ground plane antenna mounted to the side of the top box, Yeah I got license. I now experience more range than I would ever need, not tested it for range really but I do know communications at least 2 miles on the open road have been perfect.

The Scala Q2 works well enough for me and is easily transferred to another rider / passenger.

PLUS, my iPhone connects to my Zumo 550, and the Q2 connects to that.

The range is at least 1000 ft or more.

Voice quality is excellent and load enough that I can hear through my Big Ears hearing protection.

Music quality SUCKS!!!! Forget music, don't think about music... completely SUCKS!

Otherwise, simple, easy, affordable and they work.

RobStar

How do you answer or make a call on your iPhone when hooked up this way?

I don't think (or can not find) an auto answer command nor a way to make a call without a hand on the iPhone.

I am looking to connect my Autocom to a walkabout. It appears that the 2 devises require a different diameter plug. Is that what you experianced? and if so, how did you overcome?

Thanks,
Marty

Which 2 devices? The Autocom and Starcom? Since we're not trying to use the Talkabout radios in BOTH bikes at once, each of us just got the appropriate connector for the radio to our own communication system.

P

Back