• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I LOVE Sweet Corn

Almost time!
I have not been out to Wiltse's yet this year, perhaps this weekend.

Are you excited? (about fresh veg?)
I am excited. (about fresh veg)

Someday, perhaps in another space/time continuum I'd like to have a piece of garden and learn to make my own sausage and study Charcuterie. Maybe even raise my own source meats. But I digress.

Hey why not share your favorite source for your summer vegetables, if you're really fortunate you may even get them from your own patch!

:eat

Here's a tip for great corn on the cob. many of you may already know this. put your corn, complete with husks in a bucket of water overnight. place on the grill for about 10 minutes then turn and leave for another 10 minutes. remove from grill and pull back husks. add butter and salt. enjoy!!!:eat:eat:eat

Major bummer here in Vermont. An exceptionally violent bout of wind and rain swept through our valley yesterday and in addition to numerous trees being down, about 90% of our sweet corn was knocked flat! The entire village is in mourning.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that East Tennessee also has pretty good sweet corn and way-good tomatos.

603463582_Qw4Gw-M.jpg

John
(Iron Chef Moto)

I do love the cooking platform you have on the back of your bike. :clap

Had some tastey corn from the amish farmer last weekend. Mmmmm Mmmm!!!

I picked my first red chili pepper last night. Haven't tried it yet.

If that bleepin'bleepity bleep squirrel would keep out of my garden, maybe I'll harvest a tomato! He keeps poaching them just before they are ripe enough to pick. If there are no pink-red ones, he takes off with the big green ones. I'm about to set up in the window with a bb gun.

Had some tastey corn from the amish farmer last weekend. Mmmmm Mmmm!!!

I picked my first red chili pepper last night. Haven't tried it yet.

If that bleepin'bleepity bleep squirrel would keep out of my garden, maybe I'll harvest a tomato! He keeps poaching them just before they are ripe enough to pick. If there are no pink-red ones, he takes off with the big green ones. I'm about to set up in the window with a bb gun.

I can cure your squirrel problem..I'll loan you one of my Jack Russell Terriers for a couple of days. :brow

As I watch the tree rats pillage the bird feeders, I have often felt the same. I have a nice Benjamin/Sheridan which would do the job.
But I'm trying Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd. ;)

On a brighter note word comes from two counties west that the first wave of corn is ready, guess where I'm going this weekend? :thumb

Lots of Corn behind Us !

This reply is waaayyy too late, but I just ran across it searching for another forum posting. It reminded me of my wife and I living in Hondo, Texas last year. For a year, we resided in an RV Park. It was sort of out in the country with 3/4 of the park surrounded by corn fields. It was amusing...first the large tractors we'd hear first planting the corn. Then the crop dusters over it, then finally, the corn coming to life in late June. Got to snag some, it was some really nice sweet corn, we will miss it.

Although, the first year, they had a drought, so we watched the corn get hoed back into the ground, kind of sad. But this this year...best rains in awhile, and the corn really grew well. Only corn I remember better was near Cleveland Ohio some years ago...white corn, really really sweet.

Bryan

Been a few advances in corn varieties but tomatoes not so much..

Used to grow real Silver Queen in the 60s and 70s when I lived in upstate NY. Huge, white and sweet but sweetness was lost almost instantly after picking so it had to be fresh picked out of the backyard. Even at 3 hrs degradation was noticeable. Today, breeders have fixed that- we can now get some pretty decent sweet white stuff out of FL almost all year BUT the ears are small and its sometimes tough. Still, the sweetness retention is there. Haven't seen real Silver Queen anywhere in years and it is an obsolete variety now- all that stuff you see called Silver Queen is in reality any one of about 20 other varieties- the name being used simply because consumers in many areas recognize it.

Breeders have finally explained why ALL of the first class tasting tomatoes are heirloom varieties. Turns out a gene related to sugar control was accidentally bred out of essentially every hybrid currently available going way back before anyone had any ability to gene sequence. Now that it been identified they're working on putting it back in place so hybrid properties like increased yield, disease resistance, climate adaptation, and size can be be combined with an heirloom-like taste.
But because they doing it by breeding rather than gene manipulation (gmo's are expensive to develop and not well loved by many) its going to be about 4 years out before the first developments are commercially available- watch for them if you want good tasting hybrids...

Tomatoes are tough here in NC- it gets too hot and stays hot at night putting a crimp on output starting in July- it was lot easier to grow good tomatoes up north. This year we got everything in super early and have been eating home grown ones since the first week of June. Best early stuff we've grown is Arkansas Traveler (nice early slicer) and Early Girl (this a hybrid with inferior taste and a tendency to tough skin in hot climates, however). The Cherokee (purplish /green with a rich flavor and good size) and German Johnson (sweet, low acid, big) lead the taste list from our bunch and the Brandywines are also good though low yield and problematic in this climate...Last 3 are on many lists of good tasting heirlooms. If you've never grown any you ought to give them a try- folks who've tasted mine inevitably want to grow the same varieties in their own gardens....

Until you try a "Granny Cantrell" tomato you are missing something. Another locally derived Heirloom is the "Vincent Watts" which we don't like as well as the first type. Out of our many heirloom varieties the 1st to be eaten this year is the Pink Brandywine which we had to share with the rabbit family explosion this year. The 2nd & close behind is the "Box Car Willie" which is an heirloom but also a great eating & canning tomato. I've tried the Cherokee's, Mortgage Lifter's & Black Krim.Aunt Rub'y German Green but dropped them all for various reasons. We also like several Oxheart varieties, to include "Anna Russian" & have tried several black ones such as Black Prince all of which make the best fresh salsa of them all! "Mr. Stripey is the big local favorite here in my neck of the woods, but to me it's too lacking in acid to be full flavored.
There is REAL Silver Queen to be had if you cruise the heirloom seed companies. Not my fave though, we raise a type of peaches & cream of the many out there-it's not the sweetest but has real corn flavor. I have a small patch of the "Mirai" corn this year, it being one of the enhanced types that are supposed to have the extra sweet that gets stronger instead of weaker plus corn taste too.I hope I don't like it too much cause the seed is too pricey @ $3.95 per pkt. + sh.. Bodacious is another corn we like & does well in our jungle climate.
I read the same news article you did on the "lost tomato" flavor. If not for the blight we will have our tomato flavor in large supply.

Made a couple of a different recipe a few days ago.. Tomato pie is, I think, a southern thing. Never saw it when I lived up north...

Let's keep it on topic, OK?

Psych!

I do surely love a nice meaty 'mater and as close to the source as possible thank you.
Maybe we need to change the thread title? :ha

Back