• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I LOVE Sweet Corn

wezul

Cage Rattler
And it is that time of year again. I don't know of anything that brings me more pleasure than home grown sweet corn and tomatoes. A delightful combo on their own or with your favorite grilled dead thing.

Wiltse Farm Produce & Greenhouse is located on the far west side of Kane County, IL just before you hit the DeKalb County line just east of County Line Rd on Rt. 38.
They have a great selection of vegetables, not just the aforementioned and almost everything is grown right there. Ask and they will tell you what is and isn't.
Peppers, beans, all the delights of summer and it makes for a very enjoyable quick hop on the bike to fetch these.

A word of caution, currently Rt. 38 is going through a much needed makeover so you may want to avoid it. If coming from the East you might take Fabyan Parkway over to Elburn (Hi Jon Diaz!) and then wiggle your way west to County Line then North to 38 and take a right and they will be on the South side of the road.

Bon Appetit!

But for those of you who don't want to jaunt all the way out to the West edge of nowhere..... they are always at the Saturday AM Farmers Market in Naperville!
(As are a lot of other fine produce providers.)

Oh you are so right. Please, don't go! Stay as near to the land of TGI McFunsters as possible. Leaves more of the good stuff for me.
Not to mention a nice little ride on the back country-ish roads.

I'm sorry, an outburst of temper that I shall endeavor to curtail in future.
I guess the West edge of Nowhere is exactly what I want.

Last edited:
The sweet corn stands with the farmers children are out up here now and the early corn has been wonderful. Saturday morning and I point the RT towards the land of cheese and go looking for a family stand and make a great morning ride a shopping experience that my bride could never duplicate at Cub Foods!

:eat

Hey all; Yep, NOTHING beats fresh sweet corn and vegies' NOTHING!! Around here, it's been available for a couple of weeks, and I have made it a steady diet. How the good Lord could provide something sooooo.... good tasting and nurishing at the same time is proof (if some is needed) of his caring nature. Eat up, enjoy, give thanks. Vaya con Dios, Dutch.

Fresh locally grown cantalope and watermelon here! It made a great breakfast for me this morning!

Buying local. I love to see it! We're a smart bunch.

Fresh melon, eh?
That reminds me of that little stand at the International in Johnson City.
Those girls had some real nice melons.
The fruit was good, too. ;) :hide

As soon as I get the GPS on the F800ST I will have to take a test blast.
To Wiltse's, of course! :thumb

Last edited:
It's even more convenient to walk to the vegetable garden in the back lot and harvest/shuck a few ears and toss them into the waiting pot of boiling water.

That saves the motorcycle riding time for "The Snake", 5 miles from home. :D

CalMil

My mother-in-law, who has gone to that big cornfield in the sky, used to can that sweet Nebraska corn and we'd eat it all winter for a taste of summer in Feb. :eat God, I miss her canned corn...and herself.

Born in Corn by Mr. Blink

Tractor, tractor pull the plow - city people get me down
Live in concrete, live in lies - living where the birds, don't fly
Doctor, doctor tell me how - how can I feel so down?
Want to go and get some air - breathe it in.....then let it out

Chorus:
Corn, corn, corn - born in corn (repeat)

Dirty dirt on my skin, Midwest living ain't no sin
nothing wrong with flannel shirts, baseball caps and dirty words
I say f*%k and I say ****, and I say there's no harm in it
I don't care if we don't agree but you better not throw your trash by me
{I'm trying to grow some corn, God dammit !}

Chorus {dig it}

Love the ground, love the Earth - it's the only one that I know
If you can find a better place, tell me and I'll surely go
Plant a seed, watch it grow - Gonna reap what we sow
I don't care of you don't agree - I don't bother you so, don't bother me

Chorus

Here is a list of 'corn' words that we use in the song Born in Corn.
(Not all in the same night !)

corn bread | corndog | Paul Corning | Cornelious Bennett | Cornell University | candy corn | children of the corn | corny | corn whiskey | acorn | the white cornado | cornacopia | parents of the children of the corn | corn silk | corn palace | Wiscornsin | mission corntrol | Corn in the USA | cornfusion | soft corn | niblets | cornerstone | Popcorn | unicorn | grandparents of the children of the corn | corn tortilla | Hey buddy, wanna buy some corn? | cornclusion | cornflakes | 2nd cousins of the children of the corn | corn field | corn sex | safe corn sex | corn between two lovers | Live Corn and Prosper

And I've been eating green beans and cukes from my garden since getting back from the Rallys. Can't wait for the tomatoes!

And I've been eating green beans and cukes from my garden since getting back from the Rallys. Can't wait for the tomatoes!

Our corn isn't ready yet, but we've pickled the beets and made Chow (green tomato relish); ate up the lettuce; picked tons of yellow and green beans; been eatin' on the taters, peppers, cukes and cherry tomoatoes. The carrots, melons and Brussels Sprouts aren't ready yet, either. Our onions and garlic didn't make it.

This is our first garden!

Nuttin' wrong with livin' in the Midwest! I literally live on a acre plot, right smack-dab in the middle of corn and bean fields, along a dirt road. Closest neighbor is a quarter mile away, either direction. We buy our beef and pork from local farmers!

Love it!

And it is that time of year again. I don't know of anything that brings me more pleasure than home grown sweet corn and tomatoes. A delightful combo on their own or with your favorite grilled dead thing.

Wiltse Farm Produce & Greenhouse is located on the far west side of Kane County, IL just before you hit the DeKalb County line just east of County Line Rd on Rt. 38.
They have a great selection of vegetables, not just the aforementioned and almost everything is grown right there. Ask and they will tell you what is and isn't.
Peppers, beans, all the delights of summer and it makes for a very enjoyable quick hop on the bike to fetch these.

A word of caution, currently Rt. 38 is going through a much needed makeover so you may want to avoid it. If coming from the East you might take Fabyan Parkway over to Elburn (Hi Jon Diaz!) and then wiggle your way west to County Line then North to 38 and take a right and they will be on the South side of the road.

Bon Appetit!
I knew there was something corny about you. :ha
I love it too, we had it last night.

As soon as I get the GPS on the F800ST I will have to take a test blast.
To Wiltse's, of course! :thumb

And I did as promised. The weather looked a little threatening but what's a little water when we are on a quest for corn and tomatoes?
The Zumo 660 is a nice piece. Feature laden, big display, way easier to use than my Nav III. (KB display for instance).

So now the F8ST is really road ready and I'll be riding it to rallies the rest of this season.

I do like my RT, I really do. It's the comfy chair for really long hauls but this F bike, man I am telling you the more I ride this bike the more I love it. :burnout:bolt

Corn and tomatoes for supper!!! :eat

And I did as promised.
I do like my RT, I really do. It's the comfy chair for really long hauls but this F bike, man I am telling you the more I ride this bike the more I love it. :burnout:bolt

Off topic, but I can see a bike like that helping me feel younger. My RT taught me that I'm not that old. I think the F would make me feel like a teenager again. :buds

Seriously Larry, it does.
You are at very least a few years younger than I.
This Rotax engine is very interesting.
The pistons are synchronous but fire alternatively.
Massive counterweight on the crank.
Once you get this pony over 4500 RPM it's a whole new world.
ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzooooooooooooommmmmmm!
If I had waited until now to think about this bike, I would have taken a pass because of fiscal issues.
Now? And just this week I have added a Zumo 660?
Nize!

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that East Tennessee also has pretty good sweet corn and way-good tomatos.

603463582_Qw4Gw-M.jpg

John
(Iron Chef Moto)

Back