• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Performance awards at the Rally

R

RSPENNACHIO

Who recieved a LEO performance award at the rally? (going to, durring or going home)

ATTENTION: For those bent on getting on top of your soap box and preaching about how unsafe speeding or this or that is on public raodways... Or about how you are so safe because you only do track days....don't. Go start your own post!

Last Thursday on the South end of 129 in North Carolina I recieved my award of 75 mph in a 60 mph zone. Trooper "whats-his-name" was very reasonable because I may have been going faster than 75mph:whistle

He did not want to force me to use any more vaction days to appear in court so he wrote it for 75mph. Anything over that and I would have had to go before the judge:bluduh

Got a performance award for my passing skills, south of Franklin NC. Trooper saw 3 of us and decided to follow in the distance, told us he figured he would catch us doing something sooner or later.

Aside from the profiling, he was reasonable and after he gave me my road tax slip, he gave us a guided tour of his hot rod Tahoe, lowered 8", big wide tires, 5+ liter high performance engine. A mean machine for sure, claimed it would do over 140mph.

A small price to pay for some of the great paved cow paths in the state. I was on a very nice road a day later that was getting a little rough, (about as rough as main street in an upstate NY city) so I thought I would put a note with my road tax payment and ask they apply the funds to repaving that road, so I can rip it up next time I am down:laugh

...he gave us a guided tour of his hot rod Tahoe, lowered 8", big wide tires, 5+ liter high performance engine. A mean machine for sure, claimed it would do over 140mph.

oh, those are the really nasty ones... really hard to notice since they're so stealth.

were you on us64?

oh, those are the really nasty ones... really hard to notice since they're so stealth.

were you on us64?

No headed on small roads S of town, cutting across from 23, toward Walnut creek with the shortest route plugged into the GPS.

He saw us turn off of 23 on the small roads.

The engine roar was louder than the siren, sounded like it was going to suck the saddle bags off the bike.

On the 2nd day,on the way home,after behaving all day,spotted a sign for the motel I was planning on spending the night,figured I'd give the silver bullet a bit of free rein for the last mile.I spotted a LEO, hidin'in the bushes, about 1/4 of a mile from my exit,on came his lights,I got stopped'bout 100 yds from my exit. Luckily he reduced the speed to 89,in a 65,because,as he informed me,had he written me up for the 94MPH he clocked me at,he would've had to impound my scoot. Had to pay on the spot,which meant my Visa took a hit for $276.10 US,which comes in at $314. Cdn. Oh well,ya pays yer money,ya takes yer chances...

On the 2nd day,on the way home,after behaving all day,spotted a sign for the motel I was planning on spending the night,figured I'd give the silver bullet a bit of free rein for the last mile.I spotted a LEO, hidin'in the bushes, about 1/4 of a mile from my exit,on came his lights,I got stopped'bout 100 yds from my exit. Luckily he reduced the speed to 89,in a 65,because,as he informed me,had he written me up for the 94MPH he clocked me at,he would've had to impound my scoot. Had to pay on the spot,which meant my Visa took a hit for $276.10 US,which comes in at $314. Cdn. Oh well,ya pays yer money,ya takes yer chances...

They have card swipers now? :scratch

The bumble bee got stung now did it???:laugh:laugh

Wide open all through NC, SC, Eastern TN, and N. GA. Not one patrol car other than GA commercial vehicle enforcement - does a loaded GS Tractor count?

140? In a Tahoe PP1 - Bullcheez. 120s tops. 128 is top for the CVPI P71 (Crown Vic).

The Radio - 300,000km / sec. Beat that.

I gave the "I'm at the end of the last trip of its kind for a while on my way to the airport to return to my pregnant wife" speech. He let me go with a warning. :D

East of Hartford, CT.

Got nailed about 30 minutes after crossing into Tennessee. I was passing a fully-loaded logging truck that was in the right (slow) lane going uphill. I was clocked doing 64 in a 50 zone. Fine's $143. I was riding two-up at the time. He said he could have nailed me for crossing a solid line as I completed my pass as the two right lanes merged into one. He was nice enough about it, but it seemed a little expensive. When he was finished with the paperwork he said, "you must be headed for that big BMW rally in Johnson City". I wonder how many times he got to use that one.

No citation, but the bike(or what's left of the GS) is still in West Virginia. I got to fly home. Actually took 4 flights this week - first was over the bars and car that was stopped waiting to make a left turn just past the crest of a blind hill. Never saw it. Then the medevac flight, ~75 miles to the nearest trauma center. Released later that evening, bumps, bruises, and fractured pelvis. I'm up and vertical and able to walk and talk, just slowly and stiff. Then managed to get all my stuff found and shipped, then 2 flights to get home. Not a fun vacation. HOWEVER, I am humbled by the response of everybody I came into contact with afterwards, from the RA folks who found volunteers to drive the 75 miles to get me (in the dark dodging deer, on those delightful 2-lane mountain roads), to the folks who set up a bed in their cabin so I wouldn't have to sleep in my tent in my condition, to the kind lady who had parked her bike at her motel 30 miles away and had a rental car and put it and herself at my disposal and drove me the 3 hours to the airport, and I could go on. These are/were some of the same folks who were at the MOA rally. I often tell new members, "welcome to my family!" Well, this family came through for me, and I can't say Thank You to all of them, because that just doesn't make it. There's so much more. I can only hope that I can be of some service to them or anybody else in the future, and keep the karma going.

Ride safe!

Randy

Randy,

So sorry to hear about the accident...but happy to hear that you are safe at home. Your family of riders came through and I know had it been someone else you would have done the same for them. Good karma.....

Heal fast. There's more riding to be done this summer!

No citation, but the bike(or what's left of the GS) is still in West Virginia. I got to fly home. Actually took 4 flights this week - first was over the bars and car that was stopped waiting to make a left turn just past the crest of a blind hill. Never saw it. Then the medevac flight, ~75 miles to the nearest trauma center. Released later that evening, bumps, bruises, and fractured pelvis. I'm up and vertical and able to walk and talk, just slowly and stiff. Then managed to get all my stuff found and shipped, then 2 flights to get home. Not a fun vacation. HOWEVER, I am humbled by the response of everybody I came into contact with afterwards, from the RA folks who found volunteers to drive the 75 miles to get me (in the dark dodging deer, on those delightful 2-lane mountain roads), to the folks who set up a bed in their cabin so I wouldn't have to sleep in my tent in my condition, to the kind lady who had parked her bike at her motel 30 miles away and had a rental car and put it and herself at my disposal and drove me the 3 hours to the airport, and I could go on. These are/were some of the same folks who were at the MOA rally. I often tell new members, "welcome to my family!" Well, this family came through for me, and I can't say Thank You to all of them, because that just doesn't make it. There's so much more. I can only hope that I can be of some service to them or anybody else in the future, and keep the karma going.

Ride safe!

Randy

Wow, Randy, what a bummer! How great you that you had some really good folk looking out for you!

Get well, soon, man.

Randy!

sorry to hear this.

you didn't crush your cigars or anything else serious like that, did you?

heal fast my friend.

ian

Actually, I was carrying 3 dozen eggs, and I understand most of them survived, as did the 2 glass jars of jam. I also heard that the remaining eggs were put in a cooler at the campsite, which the raccoons broke into that night and ate. Maybe we shouldn't have gone shopping for eggs! And, Ian, the cigars were back at camp along with my pipes and tobacco. All being shipped home. Thanks, folks!

2,000 more miles and nothing :dunno not even a friendly chat. I don't know where I went wrong. :scratch

Similar results. Rode 2,300+ miles in seven days consistenly @ 7 mph over any posted limit, and got nothing but smiles and waves from any trooper, officer, deputy or constable I passed.

I know from my career that @ 10 or more mph over the limit, you're fair game.

Enjoy the rest of summer! :deal

Similar results. Rode 2,300+ miles in seven days consistenly @ 7 mph over any posted limit, and got nothing but smiles and waves from any trooper, officer, deputy or constable I passed.

I know from my career that @ 10 or more mph over the limit, you're fair game.

Enjoy the rest of summer! :deal

3200 miles and only comment from an Arkansas trooper was "Y'all picked a bad day to ride" at a gas stop near TX border as it was still raining...7 over was our average as well... Did have a ticket warning device that went off regularly,especially in LA ...but still was doing the 5-7 over at times and was unplugged in the all day rain ride across Arkansas anyways.

Actually, I was carrying 3 dozen eggs, and I understand most of them survived, as did the 2 glass jars of jam. I also heard that the remaining eggs were put in a cooler at the campsite, which the raccoons broke into that night and ate. Maybe we shouldn't have gone shopping for eggs! And, Ian, the cigars were back at camp along with my pipes and tobacco. All being shipped home. Thanks, folks!

Randy,
I'm sorry to hear about the accident...best wishes with the recovery.

Back